Welcome to the New York Jets Bilal Powell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

With this draft you can see two things, running the ball, and stopping the run.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ive been very pleased with this draft.

Wilkerson and Ellis are picks I love.

and I love RB's in general I dont think you can ever have enough quality in the rotation. and feel Bilal has 2nd rd talent.

the WR will serve well in the return game.

and McElroy is a good pickup to develop a backup.

cant complain too much considering most of the talent thatd make an impact disappeared before our 3rd rd pick

3. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Tanny's yet to steer us wrong. It's a move for the future.

They must have hated the pass rush class...

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Lol I am just busting your balls......Your enthusiasm is cool.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

This draft was known to be long at DL and RB.

looks to me like the Jets played the draft right.....

Not like we take a K in round 2.

yeah.. and that 85 yard run was sick.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If he can run through that many defenders, stay on his feet AND not lose the football on that run, I have every bit of faith in him improving his fumbling percentage.

7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Hopefully Wilkerson and Ellis 2.0 make our veteran pass rushers look like gods.

8. nixhead

nixhead Banned

Shaun Greene did not have as good a year last year that we thought he might have correct? Why was old man L.T. starting in front of Greene? I'm not too sure the coaching staff was all too happy with Greene last year. This is a great pick. It not only pushes Greene to be his best it also is depth in case Greene has an injury and we all know he can be a little fragile at times - but what do you expect the way Greene slams into other teams linebackers at times - injuries will happen. Also what if the league goes to 18 games? You think L.T. and Greene can carry the load all season - nope. This pick does alot of things for the Jet running game most importantly that there won't be much of a drop off if Greene goes down with an injury. One more thing - the Jets used L.T. way too much early last season. They need him for the playoffs. The Jets need this guy. Great pick!

9. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I haven't read the whole thread, but anyone who's been through the draft forum over the last few months knows that I love Bilal Powell. The kid is a stud back, if he didn't pushed around at UL with different positions/offenses he'd have been a big time prospect. I hope he gets some quality run next year, but I'm really not sure what the plan is going to be for splitting things up.

Love this pick for the player, but have questions about how they're going to make it all work.

10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

#90 BakerMaker, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  11. CatoTheElder

Posted this in another thread but thought it might apply here.

For what it is worth, I just got done watching the post-draft press conference and here are the basics for Ryan and Tannenbaum's decision for taking Powell:

Rex:
    -Loves having a corps of fresh backs to throw at defenders to close out games, especially late in the season.
    -Running back was already a position of strength on the team with what Greene and Tomlinson did last season and what McKnight showed against Buffalo with a 158yard performance. Feels that adding Powell to that rotation only makes the position stronger.
    -Mentioned the fact that someone could go down with an injury so having Powell there would be a contingency he'd be happy with
    -Carried 6 running backs on the roster last season until they cut Woodhead and maintained 5 running backs for the remainder of the season. No issues with roster spots in Rex's mind moving forward.
    -Referred to Powell as a 3-down back; he can run, catch and block. It seems pretty obvious that Rex sees him taking over for Tomlinson once LT is done on the Jets.

Tannenbaum:
    -Graded Powell much higher than the 4th round. Too high a value to pass up at that point in the draft.
    -Described the selection as a "stay true to your board" pick. Highest player on the stack.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Kids that pull their lives together before they even hit 20 years old always impresses the hell out of me. There's a lot of people that don't realize what's at stake a lot later in life. Powell wanted a future and gave himself one.

Also, in the two games I've seen him in person, he dropped 242 yards and 4 TDs on 38 touches. Just wanted to throw that in.

13. ........

........ Trolls

Powell serves purely as insurance for Greene this season, gets limited carries as a rookie. Probably hits the inactive list early in the season unless he carves out a role on special teams. He's fresh legs late if Greene starts to falter. If I had to guess, it'll be close to an even 3 way split for carries over the course of the season with Powell taking only a few, but they won't always be even throughout the course of the game. Rex will be saving all 3 guys for the playoffs. Next season, Powell takes on LT's carries and is great insurance if Greene falters.

Sitting and learning throughout a season worked wonders for Greene and McKnight. No surprise that the team might do it again.

14. CatoTheElder

^This is basically how I see the rotation working out. I'm guessing Powell gets as many offensive snaps this season at HB as Conner got last season at FB, maybe less. Depending on how he develops early on he could emerge as a larger presence on the offense late in the season or in the playoffs if Shonn Greene/when LT gets worn down.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This kid is a beast.

16. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

That 85 yd run by Powell looked alot like a Shonn Greene playoff run

17. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

He reminds me of a smaller and maybe a little quicker Tim Hightower. Lets just hope he can fumble less than Hightower

18. On NFL network, Charlie Casserly called Powell one of the steals of the draft. This was a best player available pick all the way. LT,Greene and Mcknight all have question marks associated with them. Powell is short term insurance and a long term contributor

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

He reminds me off Frank Gore...hopefully he can come even remotely close to that

20. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

sign this beast!