Welcome to the New York Jets Bilal Powell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

He's not going anywhere. He'll retire after next year.apparently we liked this guy enough to put him in place a year before.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We had more than 5 backs on the roster at times last year.

Would you be really be that shocked if we had 5 again this year ?

Especially since this guy likely, and possibly McKnight might not be "there" yet

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Over Deunta Williams and Davon House? Wow... oh well, at least now we know who our RBs will be for a long time... Greene, Powell, McKnight + Conner.

I think we're keeping LT this year... and I like the fact our RBs will be learning from him.

4. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

As many have pointed out, Tanny & Co. obviously thought this was a value pic (and based on their reaction in the war room they think they got a steal), and while we don't NEED another back this year, we will next year when LT is gone. This is a pick that will pay dividends in 2012 and beyond. Additionally, it provides excellent injury insurance for all of our other backs.

Plus, this kid sounds like he could be a special teams contributor for us this year with his aggressive mentality.

If the value was there at OLB or S, or even CB, you KNOW Rex and Tanny would have been all over it.

I would be shocked if this season our roster didn't include 5 backs:
    LT
    Greene
    McKnight
    Powell
    Conner

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Power running is a priority in the Jets offense and this guy can contribute to that. He fits the mold of the team. Good pick considering Greene is our only true power runner at the moment.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Also need to understand that Greene can get hurt and that also eliminates our power running

7. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

8. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

9. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Players at every position can get hurt. RB is already a bloated area...why take the kid when there's plenty other positions that need starters/depth? Very odd decision, but whatever.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't understand the pick, but I trust the coaching staff. We addressed our defensive line and ensured that our running game won't skip a beat. Nice.

11. ........

........ Trolls

I get the complaints about having bigger needs for our 4th; I don't get the questions from some posters about the RB situation.

McKnight doesn't have to go anywhere for this move. Greene keeps looking more effective with limited carries and Powell's style and size are more in line with him than with McKnight. Hell, he even has some room to add weight. This is a move for the future. Questionable timing, but it's not a bad move from a personnel standpoint. We'd have been looking for a big back at some point this offseason.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Nice! !

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Bro why are you posting Eric Smith pics in a Bilal Powell thread?

14. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

You have to be pretty dumb yourself to consider the best paper in the world retarded and to think that a 4th rounder for the future is a retarded pick

15. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Haha..I totally forgot Flash Gordon plays for the Jets in that movie. How is that character not more popular in Jet land?

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm perfectly fine with this pick. The guy's likely a 2nd rounder if he doesn't get hurt. This gives us our 3rd RB for whenever LT finally retires. I agree that I would've preferred another position, but judging the FO's reaction to him being available, they clearly have a plan for him and were excited to grab him. I'll trust that and go with it.

17. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Fresh legs in January (and February) is a great thing to have. Since when do we get pissed off over having too much quality depth at any position? I would rather have a safety too, but if they thought there was a starter at safety out there that they couldn't wait to get, I'm sure they would have taken him.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Charley Cassily:

Best value : Bilal Powell, much better than Joe McKnight, big play maker and can catch the ball

19. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Charlie Casserly on NFL network lists the Jets Powell pick as one of the best value picks (though he did say top value pick of the 3rd round and he was picked in the 4th).

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

NY Times:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/n-f-l-draft-bilal-powell-third-ranked-rusher/

Pretty sure this was a Rex Ryan pick.