Welcome to the New York Giants, QB Daniel Jones!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Zach, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Last time Giants had a starting QB from Duke, they sucked real bad - as in DAVE BROWN kind of bad.

I am expecting a lot of hearty laughter after Eli retires.

Welcome to the league, kid!

2. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

The Giants average a SB every 10 years, no matter what. Either they have a couple bad years with this guy, or he's another one of the Giants line of QBS who wins while not even being great.
    The Giants average a playoff appearance about every 2.7 years. They won't get lost into 10, 20 years of mediocrity.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think Jones was a reach, but knocking him because Dave Brown also played for Duke is like knocking Darnold because Sanchez also played for USC.

westiedog1, CBG, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you didn't get the joke yet - it was my WISH that Jones sucks just as bad.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio said that he knows that Mara family very well and when he saw Daniel Jones in pre-draft workouts he knew the Giants were gonna love him as they like a certain type of QB and Jones is exactly that type.

what do you think that means? They like average "game manager" type QBs??

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Good job by the Giants now they have Barkley, still only 22 and a QB of the future

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I heard Coach Charlie Weis on NFL radio today and he said Gettelman was not smart floating the story that Denver and Washington were eager to get him so that's why the Giants grabbed him so high ..should have said they really liked him and that's it

Because of their Grandfather, my 2 kids are Giant fans. NC seems to feel Jones is ok so ill spin it positively for them ,,hhahaha

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cutest QB available.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

It's like how there are certain women who are my type. There are certain QBs who are the Giants' type. See?

[​IMG]

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Was not surprised but the pick at all. The Cutcliffe connection. Eli spending alot of time with Jones in the last couple off seasons at Duke . It seemed like the natural choice for them.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Seems like no one else had him as a top 10 pick, let alone top 6. Isn't there a saying that if you think you're smarter than everyone else in the draft, you probably aren't.

12. TonyFtLaud

I understand your point. Don't think he was a #6 talent, but he was the guy they wanted. They didn't think he would be there at 17 so they took him.
    He's not going to be thrown into the fire. Giants can build the O like and skill positions so he steps into a ready made position.
    I won't fault a GM for reaching on a QB if he feels it's his guy.

CBG and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I suspect that long term the thing that's going to make or break this from a PR perspective (this is of course assuming Jones does not turn into some kind of star in which case obviously nobody would complain) is if Josh Allen turns out to be some kind of household name defensive monster or not. If he just has a middling career then probably its no harm no foul. But he's the guy it seems. Most Giants fans identify him as the "cost" of taking Jones and if he turns out to be a highlight reel pro bowler its not going to go over well.... and probably rightfully so.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

From the guy who gave us Bowles and Mac.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I bet Charlie Casserly's breath smells like the floor of a bowling alley men's room.

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Build up the skill positions but trade away a freak WR in OBJ a few weeks before the draft. Makes absolutely no sense.

The problem I have with Gettlemen is he talks out of ass and thinks everyone else is a moron. Last year he kept preaching about how you take a player who will wear a gold jacket someday, a sure fire can't miss player - okay, fine. Take the RB over the QB (which is absurd and a completely different conversation in itself). This year you do the complete opposite and take Jones who some said is a 3rd round talent??

How about the fact that he let Collins walk out the door for nothing when he could have gotten a 3rd at the minimum for him? Sure, let Collins walk, get the compensatory pick. Wait a second.. Let's sign Golden Tate to a lucrative deal and then lose the compensatory pick to the Eagles. Or let's trade away Snacks who is a stud NT and then draft a NT at 17 with the pick they recouped from the OBJ trade. Lawrence has to be a HOF player for that upgrade from Snacks -> Lawrence to be worth losing Beckham.

The guy is an assclown and I cannot be happier he is working for the Giants.

17. TonyFtLaud

I think they wanted Beckham gone. He was a distraction for too long. It was no secret they wanted to trade him. Sometimes a talented player takes too much energy to keep in line and becomes a drain on the team. I think that's what happened with Beckham.
    They did not lose the comp pick for Collins to the Eagles or any one else, they are still in line for 2 thirds( one from Collins) and 2 4ths. Had they franchised Collins and traded him, they would have lost the compensatory pick.
    I think snacks was entirely a cap move. Doesn't make sense IMO especially now with them playing 3-4 D.
    Weather the moves work out or not, I couldn't care less. I'm not Giants fan, but I don't hate them either.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Third round comp picks are actually 4th round picks. They come at the end of the third round. That's a little misdirection by the league. Comp picks are slotted after the regular picks in each round.

19. TonyFtLaud

True, but they do come before the bottom feeders pick at the top of the 4th round

20. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

Accept that the USC QB to pros and Jets QB history, both have a 50 year success rate of failure behind them. The Giants occasionally succeed. The Jets never do.
    The Jets drafting a Second usc QB ,is more like the Lions drafting two wide receivers in a row. Jones has better odds of succeeding then Darnold does.
    Because the Giants have been to 5 SBs, to the Jets none since 1969.