Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets said they wouldn’t reach with the first pick.

this guy was high on their board.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I'm starting to feeling better about this pick the more I learn about this guy. Like an immediate production type. It'll be interesting to see what kind of buzz there is around him during camp.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk why folks are hating on it.

I’ll take as many edge rushers as possible let alone one that was 3X all Conference and 34 sacks in his college career. You want production you got it

I thought it was a good pick

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I guess you didn’t watch the Eagles at all

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The funniest part is the loudest people complaining probably didn't even know who this guy was before the draft last night.

Huff and Lawson are most likely gone next year. JFM could even be a restructure or cut candidate next year if he underperforms this year. I think they save almost 10m if he's gone in '24.

BrowningNagle and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have no idea if he's going to pan out, but strictly from a procedural perspective, being ahead of the curve on roster construction - especially outside pass rush - is exactly the kind of forward thinking that 99.44% of this forum was begging for when the 53 was complete trash a few years ago and there was no hope because the FO was constantly playing catch-up to fill holes.

NCJetsfan, KingRoach and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because he doesn’t play tackle. That’s the only reason people are upset. Their favorite player at their deemed position of need didn’t get picked so McDonald sucks and Douglas is an idiot.

KingRoach, jixxjr and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

And this whole situation flashes me back to Seattle picking Bruce Irvin at 15 a decade ago, except there are no off the field concerns with McDonald. You can literally swap out the Seahawks names for the Jets names and it could read as if it was written last night for the most part.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/apr/26/seahawks-surprise-picking-irvin/

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/surprise-seahawks-pick-speedy-de-bruce-irvin/

https://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/4/29/2985799/nfl-draft-grades-2012-seahawks

KingRoach and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  9. nevbeats319

im not going to give a blurb to each guy. please go and look at 3 of these players contract situation and real future status on the team

blackssmagic and KingRoach like this.
  10. dawinner127

Hearing saleh tell McDonald we’re getting you out of that that 4i and into a wide 9 means they have a specific plan for him and he fits exactly what they want to do. Go get after the quarterback brother. Lets go

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

We don't know for sure the Jets would have picked Broderick Jones at 13. It's possible they see him as similar to other o-lineman they could get in the 2nd round. They seemed pretty happy when the pick for McDonald was in.

NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The jets really need a tackle, but they were all picked before them, what can you do? There’s still some good offensive linemen the jets can get in the second.

McDonald was one of my favorite edge rushers in the draft. He’s the only one with the same bend that the elite rushers have. The jets haven’t had edge rushers in like 20 years and you can never have too many. I would have rather picked a tackle as well but none were there, what can you do?

dmw, NCJetsfan and blackssmagic like this.
  13. nevbeats319

i am doing alot of defending of this pick and i def didnt want jones ( wright (yes) but i would have been more pumped with Kancey for sure.

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The Jets already have Jermaine Johnson, Bryce Huff, and Carl Lawson. There’s really nowhere for him to play barring injury. He could be a solid player but you forgot draft depth guys with your #1 pick.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

On the other hand, that's JD's modus operandi. He usually uses the whole clock because he's open to good offers. He's always trying to improve the team.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lawson gets hurt getting out of bed in the morning.

Having Huff, Johnson and McDonald all young players competing against each other is a good thing especially since pass rushing is all about competitive fire

I think Johnson and McDonald are gonna swap in and out anyway on obvious run v. pass situations

17. 94Abraham

This team is going all in this year though with an aging Rodgers. This pick does nothing for this year since he’ll be fighting for snaps vs 3 other guys in front of him. I just can’t see how he gets much playing time barring injury and you certainly don’t draft someone that high you have no room for. Maybe they do plan on using him as a full time LB? It’s a real head scratcher so we’ll have to see how it all pans out.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a product of our favorite football team never being in the conversation or even trying to be but there are an awful lot of people complaining about the pick swap and how it cost us a tackle. What exactly do you expect to happen when you trade for a star quarterback? You understand you have to give something to get something right? You don’t trade for a star quarterback and then everything else falls right into your lap.

You can call the swap unnecessary all you want but apparently it was necessary considering Douglas said that’s the last piece that was negotiated. To contend in 2023 we gave up a shot at the fourth best tackle in the draft and a second round pick. Seems like pretty good value to me.

there are valid criticisms about the game plan and allocation of resources but also how about we trust the coach that rode this game plan to the Super Bowl and the general manager who’s mentor is currently building a team the same way that just played in the Super Bowl.

19. dawinner127

JFM will probably play more inside. Curry is gone. McDonald broke the B12 sack record that was held by Von Miller. Lets stop playing armchair GM like we know better than the guys who just drafted 2 rookies of the year and a third guy who was top 7 in MVP odds before he blew out his knee.

We will probably be playing with the lead more often than not this year so having as many pass rushers as possible is a win. Edge rushers are like starting pitchers in baseball. You can never have enough.

UK_Chilts, KingRoach, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  20. 94Abraham

Lawson was healthy last year though and now he’s in a contract year so watch him ball out. This team is paying Lawson big money for both the run and the pass. I just feel if you’re drafting that high, you need to get someone who you’re confident will be a guaranteed starter and not a role player. We’re all speculating at this point so we’ll just have to see how Saleh find playing time for him.

tomdeb likes this.