Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Or because they know they gotta put Mahomes, Burrow and Allen on their backs if they want to advance out of the AFC ;)

Footballgod214 and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Oh I like it for sure, I always want more pass rushers

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I look at him as a higher floor / lower ceiling selection.... may not become an all-pro, but they have a small window to win, and if he can come in a make a few key 4th qtr sacks that would be great.

now if he can become John Abraham to Jermaine Johnson becoming Shaun Ellis, that would be ideal :)

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Becton hadn't lost all of that weight and lost all of last season, then I'd probably agree with you, but it obviously hurt him not being able to play last season and he has worked his ass off to get in shape. That's no easy feat for someone whose family is as big individual size-wise as they are, and the type of food and as much food as he was used to eating. I know how hard it has been for me to change my eating habits in order to have better health, more energy, and to look and feel better. Of course, I'm a lot older than Becton and don't have millions of dollars riding on my losing that weight, but I believe that we will see the Becton that the Jets drafted this season and that he will stay healthy, and he will help make our OL one of the better OLs in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

If they’re going to have 2 under contract, those are the two to have

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty funny NC..lol

I can't possibly imagine Becton's or his family's eating habits and what type of grocery bill that would a month!....Then there is a few trips on the weekend to MacDonalds and Burger King ..yikes!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If Zach ever sees the field for the jets again (save garbage time), I'm doing the same!

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I actually like two of the undrafted free agent WRs the jets signed too. Don't see Mims playing for the jets in 2023.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I do. His contract is cheap, he's tall and faster than either Lazard or Davis, and if they need more cap space, C. Davis would be the one to go.

tomdeb and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I like the UDFAs they brought in too but I still like Mims.

I think they'll hang onto Mims but we'll find out once we get into TC!

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I like the point borat made in another thread that C.Davis will likely be a big beneficiary of Rodgers. I think the same is true for Mims

The things that bug me about Davis are his contract and he doesn’t play big. Seems like he’s always falling to the ground to catch the balll and losing contested balls.

Mims isn’t perfect but I’ve seen him win those contested balls

All of the above is knee-jerk opinion not based on any stats

12. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I'll believe he's the BEST pass rusher when I SEE it. All is good now, but he is a 2 down player, that is projected, to be a top pass rusher. Not smart thinking for #15 pick. Very much Bryan Thomas like pick. He was decent when they figured out how to use him, but no way spectacular.
    239 lbs...hes gonna do a TON of running around vs pro nfl LT. Personally, I'd have gone for something else, but I hope I'm wrong.

ouchy and tomdeb like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nothing against McDonald, but I like Huff as the situational pass rusher. I don't know why, but many seem to think Huff is gone in 2024. Why? He is 20 lbs. heavier than McDonald, and has proved himself. I was hoping the jets sign Huff to an extension. They still might. I liked the rest of the 2023 draft (save McDonald). With the OTs gone, I just thought the jets could have addressed DT or LB with a trade down or selection. Mosely won't play forever, and 2023 might be his last year on the jets.

NCJetsfan, BrooklynJetsFan and Borat like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think it is fair to say at least one of them (Huff or Lawson) will be gone next year. Maybe both. It will be tough to take on many large contracts with Rodgers contract on the books, JD will have to prioritize. If McD can develop this year, we can definitely use him next year for more snaps. This year % of snaps may not be high. I also think JFM will play more inside.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree with you and NC Jets fan that Mims probably has more talent (height, wingspan, etc.) than many of the jets WRs. And, his contract is much friendlier than Corey Davis. I'm just making a prediction for fun that Mims won't be ON the jets in 2023. NFL GMs and coaches do not like a player/his agent making a trade request in the media during the season. And they tend to remember that. Just ask Elijah Moore. :D

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, it makes sense long term. Plus edge rusher is a can't have enough of position.

I could be in the minority here, but I didn't really think we needed OL as much as most thought. We added depth, and what are the chances that our entire line goes down for the year again?

I might be jynxing it so I'll stop.

Sent from my IPhone 43 using Tapatalk V.86

Pepsiguy5, Jets69 and LAJet like this.
  17. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

All depends on Becton. Him and AVT are potentially unstoppable

NYJalltheway and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

This draft just didn't line up very well with Jets needs. We needed OT, DT, and S. We know what happened with the OTs, and none of them was really a stud prospect. They all had their question marks and flaws. The problem with addressing DT was that it was not a good draft for DTs. Calijah Kancey was the only DT rated anywhere near that high, and he's undersized at only 6'1". A lot of fans and media people liked him, but I'm not sure that NFL scouts and GMs felt the same way about him. Obviously the Jets didn't, or they would have taken him there. Kancey went at #19 and the next DT (Mazi Smith) didn't go until pick #26. I think JD worked the phone for the full 10 minutes and couldn't secure a trade down. Similarly, it was not a good draft for safeties. Brian Branch was considered the best S in this draft, and he wasn't taken until the 14th pick of the 2nd round. The next S wasn't taken until the 24th pick of the 3rd round. JD is also on record as a GM who doesn't draft for need unless it is matched by value. So at #15, he was faced with the best prospects (according to how the draft fell) being McDonald (in the Jets' eyes), three CBs (Gonzalez, Forbes, and Deonte Banks), four WRs (JSN, Zay Flowers, Quentin Johnson, and Jordan Addison), Dalton Kincaid (TE) and Kancey. We weren't going to take a CB high or a TE, there wasn't a C or OG rated that high, so really the only options were a pass rusher (premium position) or WR (premium position). With the Jets expecting to hold more 4th Qtr. leads with Rodgers, I can understand why they went with the pass rusher that they thought had the highest ceiling and most potential in the draft.

LB would have been a good option, and Jack Campbell is supposed to be a pretty darned good prospect, but I don't know how good of a scheme fit he would be. I wonder if the Packers had taken JSN, if the Jets would have taken Lukas Van Ness or if they liked McDonald and would have take him anyway at #15.

In general, this wasn't a great draft. There weren't a lot of topflight players, and the depth at many positions was not good. If you don't count Van Ness as a LB, and rather as an Edge (as he should be), no other LB was taken in the 1st round and none were taken in the 2nd round. After Campbell, the next LB wasn't taken until the 4th pick of the 3rd round (Drew Sanders of Arkansas taken by the Broncos). 9 picks later Marte Mapu was taken by the Patriots. So it wasn't a good draft for LBs early, and we didn't have a 3rd round pick. In all, 6 LBs were taken in the 3rd round.

What I found really interesting was a report that the Jets were going to take Jamyr Gibbs at #15 over Broderick Jones. I have no idea whether that was true or not, but I'll bet that would really have had Jets fans apoplectic! I think we got a Gibbs lite in Izzy Abanikanda. He could have a huge impact on offense, especially with Hall likely not to return to form until at least mid-season.

#378 NCJetsfan, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
  19. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Even when the Jets swing and miss on a pick, at least i feel like they had a quality at bat. The days of Jacai Polite and Chuma Edoga felt like all check swings

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You mean like Zach Wilson? I think they swung at a ball that was flying over the stadium