Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree on this. Most likely, the majority of his snaps would be as a slot WR, and unless Hackett uses a slot WR on the majority of his offensive plays, JSN would not have been #2. I think at best, he would be #3 behind Wilson and Lazard. Hardman could have beat him out for the #3 spot as could Davis, since the Jets want to run the ball a lot.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer to this now.

I do strongly believe that JSN would've been viewed as our 2nd best receiver by the end of the year but that's happening in a different timeline now.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I think you're initially jumping to a conclusion here, but like how you back off of that towards the end of your post. I particularly like your last paragraph. It's that kind of maturity, reasoning and self awareness that makes you one of my favorite posters.

I don't think it means at all that the 2 pass rushers taken last year haven't worked out. What it means is that one, JD is more likely to take BAP or a player at an important position over a player at a lesser position of need, and two, the Jets think that with Rodgers at QB they will have more 4th Qtr. leads and thus will have more pass rushing opportunities and want plenty of fresh pass rushers to throw at opponents. McDonald is also great because he has a penchant for forcing fumbles and creating TOs. McDonald is also supposedly faster than any of our other pass rushers.

4. NCJetsfan

JetFanInNE likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Very interesting that they were going to take Gibbs and not an OT. Thanks for posting this.

6. NCJetsfan

True, but McDonald didn't start playing football until his Jr. year in high school. That means what he has accomplished/learned in a few short years is nothing short of amazing, and he should have a lot more tread left on his tires than other 24 year olds. He also could have entered the draft last year, but wanted to graduate since he was the first in his family to graduate from college and had promised his mother that he would graduate.

Borat likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Did you see the post earlier in this thread that claimed that several Jets sources said that the Jets were planning on taking Jamyr Gibbs at #15, a very speedy HR threat at RB who is an equally adept receiver and rusher? If that's true, then they weren't going to take an OT anyway and must feel confident that Becton and Brown will stay healthy.

8. NCJetsfan

You have a logic/reasoning flaw here. You're saying that the consensus on McDonald was that he was not worthy of a first round pick. The problem with that is that that consensus is of the media "experts" and not of NFL GMs and scouts who actually make the picks. None of us have any idea what the consensus of NFL GMs and Scouts was on McDonald. None of the media "experts" know what the Jets plans are or how they see that a player fits or doesn't fit their scheme. Many in the media are lazy. They look at stats too much. They see a team has a need at a position, and don't look deeply enough to see what players may fit that team's scheme or the attributes they want in a player at that position. They'll just assign the highest-rated player at that position to the team and say that's who they should pick.

They all make mistakes. I think the gap between how NFL GMs/Scouts/CSs evaluate players and the media "experts" has narrowed and will probably continue to narrow as more and more former players, coaches and GMs join that media once they retire from the NFL, but when push comes to shove, I'm going to give the NFL experts the benefit of the doubt over the media until they are proven wrong.

9. NCJetsfan

Considering that he didn't start playing football until he was 17, that's pretty darned impressive imo.

10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Even Chris Simms?

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you again! Maybe it's just me, but I have not seen many posts from you in awhile!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Agreed. Most of this was covered during draft night, however good to see you posting again!

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Thanks!

tomdeb likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Thanks, Tom. I took a long break both from Jets news, discussing the Jets anywhere, and from this site.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I think ppl are overestimating Hardman and Lazard. Important to remember both have been in much better offenses for years playing with Mahomes and Rodgers and, while both solid, neither has become super star players.
    I think JSN and Wilson could have been the duo for a long time here.

KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Plus they only have 2 wrs under contract for 2024

Jedi mind tricks and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I like Hardman and Lazard for what they are, quality NFL WRs. Like you said, neither guy is a super star though.

Seems like we've got 1 WR1 and 3 WR3s on the roster, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially considering what we had at WR when JD first got here.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

When Zach Wilson got benched (for playing terrible) he took his ball and went home....

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I don’t know about Brown ..but if I was a betting man the last person I would count on our OL to stay healthy is M Becton
    Imo Becton has no leverage ..the GM should resign MB like Green Bay did with Jordan L ..much less $ guaranteed but high upside for player if he meet’s his potential . Give him 5 million guaranteed the rest say 10 or 15 is up to him!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well they announced the Cobb signing right? That explains why they didn't draft Smith-Njigba , they needed to keep a spot for Rodgers' boy