Welcome to the Jets Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Frenbar, Mar 15, 2024.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree. Tackle would be the best pick for the team, but WR would be the best pick for this season. (Except if our tackles go down).

And our future be damned, its all about this season. Will we win the SB?

Jets79 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he thinks a WR would help more this year than an OT, then he obviously believes that Smith and Moses will each play 17+ games or that Warren or Mitchell are competent starters. If so, he's delusional, and should be fired and never work in the NFL again. Even though WR is a real need, drafting one at #10 would be every bit as much of a luxury pick as taking Bowers would be.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m with you both…I think OT at 10 would be my pick

Frenbar, Borat, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So hypothetical here….do you feel more confident if Our new LT goes down or our #1 receiver?
    We need a #2 WR more in my opinion

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there are more ways to finesse your way out of trouble with your top receiver gone, especially if you have solid protection, a good quarterback and a good running back. Play with a practice squad-level left tackle and your whole offense dies.

6. NCJetsfan

How do you figure that? If Smith goes down, who's going to play LT? If Smith goes down and there's no competent backup, Rodgers will go down next and it won't matter who the WRs are. Rodgers can make lesser WRs better. Both Gipson and Brownlee could take a step up this year. We may be signing Mike Williams tomorrow or this week. We can add a WR at #72 and maybe in the 2nd round if we trade down in the 1st. Besides, who's more likely to go down with an injury, Smith or G. Wilson? The answer is obviously Smith.

If G. Wilson goes down, the Jets could switch to a two TE two RB offense and would have options. If the LT goes down and there's no competent backup, there are no other options.

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

dont get me wrong, I hope neither scenario happens, but after last year….if we don’t add a significant target in FA (Williams, Boyd, Osborn, Davis) then I still am in the WR at 10 camp.

AVT would be our LT if we had to reshuffle. Rogers has always bitched about GB not using any draft capital on targets, so I bet we get him another Ferrari.
    If Rome and Fugua are there at 10…we have a good problem

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Official. He is Signed, sealed and delivered. Now let the draft bring youth and growth in the areas of WR, OL, and LB. I don’t think JD is done with free agents.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Details on Smith's incentive structure just came out from Albert Breer:

• $6.5 million fully guaranteed.
    • Up to $5.75 million in 1st play-time incentive.
    • Up to $6.25 million in 2nd play-time incentive.
    • $250K per playoff win ($1M max).
    • $500K Pro Bowl incentive.

Max: $20 million.

First PT incentive:
    38% of snaps: 750K
    44%: 1.75M
    50%: 2.75M
    56%: 3.75M
    62%: 4.75M
    68%: 5.75M

Second PT incentive:
    74%: 1.25M
    80%: 2.5M
    86%: 3.75M
    92%: 5M
    98%: 6.25M

Seems like a good deal for us. 6.5M to start which works its way up to 12.25M if Smith plays about 2/3 of the snaps this year and then up to 18.5M if he plays 98% of snaps, which if that's the case will still be well worth it because we'll have a Pro Bowl caliber LT for 98% of the season.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thanks, also official CAP hit is 12.25,since that is what NFL realistically projects him to play based on previous season: https://overthecap.com/player/tyron-smith/663
    Good deal.

Nyjets4eva and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Really great deal and the structure of it keeps us safe. But if he plays he will be good so it works out on both ends. Happy to have a LT, now let’s find some studs in this draft

LAJet, Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I think that a tackle would be both the best pick for the team and for this season. To expect Smith and Moses not to miss any games is not dealing with reality. That doesn't even take into consideration what we would do next year.

#152 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    Borat and ouchy like this.