Welcome to the Jets, Trevon Wesco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 27, 2019.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you're being a little condescending and there's no need. I saw a player who didn't really pop. He looked slow. I can't un-see that or just look at the good things he did. Nor am I the sort of person who expects every play to be a highlight reel play. He has some attitude, which is good, and he made a couple of nice blocks. He also whiffed a couple of times.

Hey, I hope you're right. Nothing would please me more.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think he looked much more impressive in this game - more good blocks, some of them really dominant. I still think he looked slow, and a couple of times he was beaten by a speed rusher. It's that's first move that concerns me. Where some players explode out of their stance at the snap, he sort of has a distinctive 'gathering himself' movement for a split second and then starts to move. That sort of hesitation could be costly at the next level.

3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

H-backs usually aren’t big enough to play straight up TE and TE’s usually don’t make good H-backs or FB’s for that matter.

Moving on as well.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

There was a guy called baldy calling him mini Gronk on some clip I watched yesterday :)

Not that we want a cheater but a nasty TE brute of our own will do thanks very much :)

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I think that game was better too. I’m not worried about his pass blocking. I’ve been watching other games. They ask a lot of him. They leave him alone many times at H-back spot in space vs the other teams DE. Without RB help... That doesn’t happen in the NFL.

As far as firing out, some of the delay is scheme based. You don’t want your FB/HB firing out when you are in the shotgun.

Overall, I can see why his head coach calls him the best player on the team.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You do realize that an H-back is simply a tight end that’s set off the line in a two TE set. An H back is a TE by definition.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

That's a good clarification.

I was just commenting on the description of this player and the player type in general. There is no point in referring to someone as an H-back/TE/FB hybrid. It's redundant.

When experts talk about a prospect as an H-back type of player, they are describing someone who is a versatile hybrid.

#47 twown, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if I had a nickel for as many times as I've heard white TE's drafted in the middle rounds described as the "next Gronk" or "mini Gronk" I would be able to quit my job and post here on this website from my lounge chair next to an instagram model.

Wesco, who I have moderate hopes for, is far more likely to be Anthony Becht than Rob Gronkowski. Mini Becht just doesn't generate twitter followers though haha

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A mini-Becht in the 4th round is fine..... If Becht 1.0 was a 4th rd pick instead of a 1st, Jets fans would have a different opinion of him.

feel free to post pics of said model though

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

GRONK Jr!!!! Loved those full speed seam routes catching the ball in stride. He's hard to bring down (unlike that TE we drafted in the first round about 12 yrs ago...name escapes me....great hands but fell over his own shadow except for that one 'leap' over that defender)

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He could be more of a Gronk JR than Becht II. He hasn't had enough passes thrown his way by an NFL caliber QB. Gronk was taller and has great hands. Wesco might have great hands too, time will tell. They only threw ONE pass his way the yr before. Plus Gronk was taken high in the 2nd round, so Wesco has less to prove.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I can see us with the lead in the 4th quarter and this guy and Bell beating the crap out of a tired D.

13. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

dustin keller?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh he was meant to be left unnamed you have gone and cursed us all now :eek:

Footballgod214 and CotcheryFan like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good going, Donger....:confused:

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I like this pick... Bell will LOVE this pick.

17. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

:eek::confused::eek::confused::oops:

K'OB likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's silly to compare him to a future HOF beast in Gronk who was birthed by Tom Brady.

I'm just looking at the pick for what it's worth. And why we did it. The reasoning. It's black and white to me.

All I know is last year we landed a true pass catching weapon in Herndon out of Miami. Maccagnan doesn't get enough credit for sleeper picks like this as he led all NFL Rookie TE's in all three phases of receptions, receiving yards and TD receptions.

We now know that we have a great pass catching TE prospect to feature within our offense moving forward. Check.

The rookie emergence of Herndon last year alongside a kid QB rookie in Sam is what makes this Wesco pick so intriguing this draft.

Time will tell if he'll ever become a vertical threat or a chain mover within the passing game but if not that's more than o.k because one thing is for certain; he's able to run block like an Anthony Becht coming out of college.

We're preparing to open up holes for Bell against a lot of stacked 8 men boxes focused on stopping an all world RB.

Wesco reminds you of a throwback junkyard dog TE who's main focus is mauling within the run game which means he can be utilized for Le'Veon Bell as a 6th offensive lineman. Without landing Bell as our off-season prized FA, this aggressive TE in Wesco would not be here today.

This pick screams Le'Veon Bell and it screams versatility with two TE sets and Bell coming out of the backfield. On 3rd and short the play action now becomes a real threat/weapon and opposing D's should be confused more times than not.

K'OB likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What's the over/under on how many guys will call you a homer for having the temerity to allow that a pick made by MacCagnan has the possibility of panning out?

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

QB: Sam Darnold.
    RB: Le'Veon Bell.
    WR: Robby Anderson.
    TE: Chris Herndon.

That's a sick nucleus right there in regards to skilled player positions and it's all been built together under Macc.

We also added an off-season All-Pro O-Lineman.

Drafted a 3rd round tackle out of USC who not only protected Sam two years ago but also this past season A.) Allowed 0 sacks and B.) 0 QB hits. If the objective is to protect your QB he was unblemished.

Crowder in the slot was FA's #1 ranked slot receiver and Quincy Enunwa is coming back. Just drafted a mauling run blocking TE in order to give Le'Veon Bell another run blocker.

Etc.

Maccagnan has done an amazing job with this offense and after the addition of Bell a trio of Darnold/Bell/Robby is going to be the most fun we've had watching an offense since Chad Pennington, Curtis Martin and L. Coles.

This Defense is really looking promising too.

I don't get the hate.