Welcome to the Jets, Trevon Wesco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 27, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s a good move. Herndon can’t block and Tomlinson can’t catch.

Last year they were too predictable, when Tomlinson came in, the defense knew it was a running play. This guy will keep defenses more honest

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Wesco is NASTY, Love this pick. He's a good blocker who id be interested in seeing if they line him up at HBack as well, but yeah he's easily the best blocking TE on the team. This honestly makes Tomlinson spot up for grabs and possibly Leggett too.

This will be the closest you get to a gronk/Hernandez ;). But seriously they may operate in similar ways to that duo.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hes the best blocking TE in the draft according to some

Pags2112 and Jets81 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I echo Browning's point that having a TE than can do everything means the offense isn't so predictable as it has been when we one TE for pass plays, and another for running plays. I think this guy may be the best pick that Macc made this year.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Before the draft I was basically sneering at the idea of using one of our precious picks on a TE but after absorbing how everything went down I'm really into this pick. For starters he plays offense so that's like a mini-win with a gold star all by itself. Then from there I picture this guy as a solid foundation that our (supposedly) creative and innovative offensive minded coach can build all sorts of interesting plays, packages, strategies, and decoys off of.

Assuming he pans out as advertised to use a somewhat cliché phrase this guy gives Gase one more useful tool in his toolbox.

Plus if all that isn't good enough as others have already pointed out this adds one more layer of solid defense against ever having to put Tomlinson on the field hopefully ever again. That way when Darnold completes the next 30 yard scintillating pass downfield at least it won't then get soul-crushingly called back AND lose 10 yards because Tomlinson was holding on the other side of the field like a complete jackass.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

People wanted to upgrade the O-line? well it looks like they did.... with a dude that can catch. Good because outside of Herndon (who I really like) the rest of the TEs are scrubs. This potentially opens up 2 TE sets in a big way

Snatch Catch and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This might be my favorite draft pick.
    I’ve been whining about getting a two way TE forever.
    This guy primarily will be an extension of the line, and can really help both Darnold and Bell.

But it’s the versatility, playing FB and H-B, and ability to actually catch passes that I really like. Enough one dimensional players. This fills a couple needs in one pick while making the offense less predictable.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is one of the two picks in our draft that I loved with the other being Williams. Wesco is a versatile player who adds nasty blocking to go with decent receiving skills. He's a 6th lineman that is not going to be the obvious 6th lineman because he is capable of running routes and being effective after the catch. We will save ourselves almost one holding penalty a game with Tomlinson being gone and I can easily see Leggett being cut after Herndon coming off suspension.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Hopefully that saves the need to carry like 3 bad tight ends behind Herndon. Wesco hopefully should be a solid backup.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's a decent chance that Herndon is going to miss 1-4 games that the beginning of this season for his drunk driving crash last year, they usually announce those suspensions during preseason. In that event, I can see them carrying an extra TE

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Forgot about Herndons little problem with drinking and driving

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

With Bell in the backfield, I want to see what this guy can do lined up at FB.

13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’ve really come around on this pick.

Wesco is not really a TE.
    He’s a hybrid FB/H-back/wing/TE. In addition to TE, He’s probably going to be lined up all over the place, used in space, motion and maybe in the backfield as a lead blocker for Bell.

He’s ultra nasty that’s for sure. He pancakes people.

This actual game footage goes a lot further as to how he might be used + what he brings vs. highlight videos.

TwoHeadedMonster and K'OB like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If he turns into something like Gronk then we will be laughing, decent pick

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I really didn't see much to get exited about in that video. A couple of very nice blocks, for sure, but he looks slow and lumbering and his first move is nearly always very slow indeed - he doesn't explode at the snap. I'm not going to base my opinion on footage from one game, but I wasn't excited watching that.

16. SoylentGreen

I don’t think he’s gonna be Gronk...
    he’s a different kind of beast (blocking!)...

Watch what he does in this TCU game... kicking ass all over the place!!

17. SoylentGreen

You’re not watching the right things then. It’s not always about catching and running. Look at how he is staying on his blocks, finishing them... this is the stuff that wins games and gets coaches (I know because I coach football) excited.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can just call him an H-back and all the "hybrid" stuff is actually implied with that description. That's what H-back means.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  19. SoylentGreen

Yeah he’s an H back, but can play FB, TE as well.

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Ok, my point is that there is no such thing as an H-back who can't play TE and FB as well. Moving on, sir. :)