Welcome to the Jets, Quinnen Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Mo Rip van Winkled. Sheldon off seasoned. Neither of these were high character guys when we picked them. Mo had a questionable motor and Sheldon was a whirlybird.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Supposedly Oakland was hot for Allen AND Oliver and passed on both. Giants were hot on Allen and passed.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Everyone here would be happy with this

ouchy, Dom, donkey and 2 others like this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

the Jets probably did, too

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

"Quinnen Williams dominated in his lone year of starting for Alabama in 2018. Williams earned Pro Football Focus the highest grade they ever issued to a college interior defender (96.0) the most pressures (55), and the best-run defense grade (96.5). Stats wise for 2018, Williams recorded 19.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. He has all the tools to become a superstar in the NFL".

Lined up alongside of Leonard Williams? Deadly.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sheldon resigned with the Vikings for $13.5 mil per year.

If we paid Sheldon we would be where we are now and also had the # 3 pick to use on Allen or to trade down for more picks.

Given the value of the pick we could have traded down and gotten a combination of Montez Sweat (OLB), Andre Dillon (LT), and our pick of any player still on the board.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

A very low risk high reward pick. Not my first choice but a wise and safe choice. I trust the Jets knowing what they ll do with Defense with the Williams Co.

A also help the future if Leonard leaves for FA and it too doesn’t give Leonard too much leverage when he seeks bigger pay from the Jets.

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Deadly? Why? When did Leo get that moniker? If he's so deadly, expect to pay him like a "deadly" player.
    But Mac knows you always go DL > OLB/DE. Even if you already have the "Best" (Leo) guy in the draft. Forget those other DL we drafted though.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The only reason why I’m not mad about this pick is because Greg Williams is our DC.

While I don’t like Mac as our GM, the teams record under his management as well as his lack of ability to draft in middle rounds is proof of how bad the guy is, Williams gives me hope.

See you guys in the fall.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Everyone? You must be new here...

FJF likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Without trading Sheldon we likely have to trade this year’s first round pick to move up for Sam

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I saw a great tweet that pretty much sums up this pick. It said, you don’t take a B+ talent to fill a need when an A+ talent is available.

SOJAZ, Dom and Footballgod214 like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Then they let him go and he's on the Browns. It's his 4th team in 5 years? I would say he's average to above average but hasn't lived up to the draft hype.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You sound like someone who has never seen this Williams kid play...

Quinnen Williams lacks experience of course but NFL guards are simply not going to be better than him physically. Some will be bigger but slower, some will be just as quick but unable to move him. Its just the truth, Williams is a rare physical specimen, a unicorn. There are very few 300+lb men that are as quick as him in the whole world, and those very few people are playing Left Tackle or Defensive line like him, not guard or center.

if teams double him, that's great. We will play 10 on 9 all season.

look I get it, you are a draft expert. everyone is a draft expert. You are tired of defensive line draft picks, I get that. But before you say such asinine stuff about Williams, at least watch the guy play a little bit. There are youtube highlights that sometimes have good music if you have too short of an attention span

SOJAZ, Frenbar, Dom and 2 others like this.
  16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I love the pick. If this kid shows the ability that he did in college, he should have a positive impact on various positions. Pushing the pocket from the interior and preventing a QB from stepping up can be devastating for an offense to overcome. Leo, for sure, should put up the type of sack numbers we all envisioned when he was drafted. With a potential huge payday on the near horizon, I expect a very big season from him. The pass rush overall should be better, not to mention helping the run D as well.

A conservative person by nature, give me the 'safe' pick over the 'Boom or bust' every time. The 2 things that I never want to hear from a pick in the first 3 rounds are, "questionable motor" or "project". This kid appears to be neither of those things...

ctjetsguy likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

They’ve said literally all the other 4 times we drafted an interior defensive lineman in the past decade

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

12 hours later I’m okay with the pick. I was hoping maybe trade down for offense but a top elite talent wasn’t gonna be there in a trade down so I get it.

I have faith in Williams figuring out how to play these guys, he’s the opposite of Bowles and his buddy.

Now try and get into the 2nd for a WR or OT/C.

And at least we’re not the Giants. For once its better to be us.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

A multi year project Mac has been working on for 5 years.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This guy sounds kind of like Charles Barkley. Upon hearing him speak my wife said “so this guys just a big piece of meat that you throw at problems”.

I can live with that.