Welcome to the Jets Micheal Clemons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 30, 2022.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He totally gives up on the end of his sentence speaking to Woody.

I have no problem with the pick, just found it humorous

2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Clemons' film is really good. The character issues are a concern, whether JD admits it or not. But:
    1) There are different types of "character issues." Some show a lack of integrity, some are just stupid. Possession of marijana and having a gun in Texas are not, in my view, indicative of integrity issues, laziness, etc. They do show stupidity, but I can justify giving a chance to someone who did stupid things faster than I can justify evil things.
    2) This was a 4th round pick. 4th round picks are always a gamble. If it doesn't pan out because he continues to act stupid, so a 4th round pick didn't pay off, it's not the end of the world. But if he grows out of the stupidity he showed in college (which does happen), he clearly has the talent and skillset to be a playmaker and he could turn into a real gem. Maybe it's easier for a stupid playmaker to stop being stupid than it is for a high-character, mediocre player to stop being mediocre. Or maybe not. We'll see.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am trying to be POLITE but let's hope so ;)

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Much like JJ, I don't think Clemons fell. They both were selected about where they should have been. And off the field issues had nothing to do with it. Teams are not going to pass on premier talent because they smoked pot (legal now) and carried a weapon, in Texas of all places. Didn't Q just do the same thing and we gave him 5th year option. It's just that as a prospect Clemons just isn't top tier. If you think JJ is old, Clemons was born in 1997, will be playing as a 25 year old. He was injured a lot too, including missing entire year in 2018, and injuries and 19 and 20 as well. Production was solid last year, and he was healthy. While per game pressures are high, he did play a lot of snaps, and pressure rate of 14% is solid. Pass rush win rate is decent as well at 15.7%, but not on par with likes of KT or Hutch, who are at 23+.

To me once again, like with JJ, what makes a difference is Sr Bowl. Saleh and Co got a close look at him, and think he can contribute. On paper I don't see a steal, but this is a 4th round pick. The fact they coached him at Sr Bowl and liked him is good enough reason to be excited about him as a rotational piece at Edge.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Personal theory, but considering how few Day 3 prospects last long enough in the league to earn a 2nd contract, I don't really care about age at all. Maybe that's because one of the better picks in recent Jets memory was an overaged Sione Pouha lol.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

probably the most perplexxing pick for me. you can only carry so many edges and we have lawson, JJ, JFM, Huff, martin, and curry already when we made this pick. he'll be the 7th edge obviously 1-2 are getting cut or PS, huff is a likely one but wouldn't surprise me if he got stolen off the PS. we could outright cut curry which makes the most sense based on age/contract. they could mark JFM as a hybrid DT/DE which is likely as well. outside on most downs, inside on 3rd down obvious rush downs. could theortically run a line of lawson, JFM, Q, huff on obvious pass downs with JJ as a blitzer from the LBer spot

JetFanInPA likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We desperately needed to upgrade the pass rush from the Edge. Clemons is a good gamble. He may not pan out, but he has a lot of potential if he can avoid the stupid behavior. The red flag for me isn't carrying a gun, it's his decision-making that seems to have led him to believe that he could do it and get away with it. OTOH, it IS Texas - actually isn't there a law to penalize you if you DON'T carry a gun?:p

Douglas and Saleh saw him up close and personal in the Senior Bowl and I'm sure they studied his background and tape extensively so I have hope that he'll be a real force off the Edge for us.

Jeff M and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly! We now do have a lot of Edge players (thanks JD!), but there aren't any John Abraham like stars. Lawson is the closest, and he is a huge injury risk. What if like last year and many other years prior he gets hurt again? Glad we got JJ there, but to me he is not a guarantee to be next great pass rusher, particularly this year. I think he has a shot, but this is far from done deal. Getting Clemons in addition to JJ improves our chances at good pass rush, factoring the undeniable: someone will get hurt.

Saleh likes to use a long rotation at Edge anyway to keep the guys fresh and they also need to battle it out for playing time. Therefore, to me Clemons, whom they had a good look at Sr Bowl, is a good pick. With him and JJ and Martin, and Lawson, etc, I feel reasonably comfortable someone will be able to contribute at high level at Edge this year, even if circumstances are less than ideal, such as injuries, etc. With just JJ at Edge out of the draft, that comfort level would be less.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Without using Google, what are the names of the starting LBs of either SB team this past year?

REVISion likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re drastically overrating these guys like Martin, Huff and even Curry and JFM to an extent. The only reason we’re tied to Franklin-Myers is because we paid him.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. KingRoach

100% Black men in Texas are never charged with unlawful carrying of weapons s/

12. KingRoach

And the only reason we’re tied to JJ is bc we drafted him. And the only reason we’re tied to Lawson is bc we paid him… I’m starting to see a pattern. It looks like we’re tied to every player bc we either paid them or drafted them. This is an explosive revelation, thank you for pointing it out.

13. KingRoach

He is 100% still smoking weed

Borat and JackBower like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And I thought I heard a shogun pump in the background.

Acad23 likes this.
  15. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Don't know about a gun. Refuse to have one and never even shot one. But pot? I was an adult in the 60's when it was illegal and still everone, me too, smoked or did worse. Just hope people grow out of it as they age, despite it now being legal inmany places. A pot bust is laughabke, a gun not so much and i don't excuse that easily

16. KingRoach

Neither the Jets nor the 49ers differentials DT from DE when announcing their roster. The 49ers went in with 11 DL last season. Let’s see who we have - I put * next to anyone who will play on the inside

1. Q*
    2. JJ
    3. Lawson
    4. JFM*
    5. Thomas*
    6. Huff
    7. Shepard*
    8. Thomas*
    9. Martin
    10. Curry
    11. Rankins*
    12. Clemons

Did I miss anyone?

17. KingRoach

I’m picturing Br4d replying “if I got drafted by the jets I’d put a shotgun to my head too”

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The idea is that the organization felt so positive about him as a contributing member of the defensive line that they retained Rankins on the interior for the time being, traded up for a defensive end, and drafted another. You think they feel super confident in his abilities?

Feel free to keep following me around with your smug comments. Your obsession is noted and funny.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. KingRoach

I only respond to your brain dead takes, so I will certainly have many more replies to your posts.

Thanks for clarifying. Your word choice this post makes your position much more clear.

That being said, I do believe the Jets have confidence in his abilities and I don’t think the addition of more DL is a dig on JFM. “You can never have too many pass rushers”.

Rankins and JJ will have different roles than JFM, if anything the signing of Thomas would back your case but I have the opposite take. They like JFMs versatility and body type so much they added a carbon copy of him.

20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

And he was definitely speeding on the call