Welcome to the Jets, Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CotcheryFan, Apr 23, 2020.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He has some good tape v. #9 ND

2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I am happy with this pick. The dude is huge and he is quick. I do not care what Douglas did in free agency regarding O-line it still needed help. Having a solid LT for years to come is huge for the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Wirfs was the dude I was hoping for (and expecting when he was still available) but this dude's got the potential to be a beast....... just need to keep the country boy away from NY pizza

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

There are many who see Wirfs as a better fit being a guard in the NFL.

5. Wirfs had holes in his game.He doesnt have great lower flexibility or balance. He played RT but has more of a finesse LT game. His athleticism is mostly on reach blocks which wouldve been useful in the zone scheme & he has upside but there are shortcomings.I dont think he has the lower flex to play guard.

He’s Ryan Tucker w better mobility.

NCJetsfan, BrowningNagle and Dierking like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's been a Jet problem for a long time. They draft project players in the 2nd round! Why? Let's hope that Douglas is smarter than that.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Originally posted by me back on January 29th in the "Early Offseason Thread." I am only quoting myself cause I get things right like once every 15 years and it was funny this time. :) Looks like I got to get some hugs in. (no homo)

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Found this. All of his pass protection plays from this game.

There's some nice stuff in there but unless I missed it, he never saw Okwara on any of those snaps. I'm still waiting to see him display LT qualities against legitimate edge rushers. Going to keep looking around before rounds 2 and 3 tonight.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I liked it back then and I like it now....LOL. Funny, after the pick was made I thought about your post and this pic....couldn't remember you were the poster.

10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

He's going to vaporize some guys at the second level

NCJetsfan and Joe D MVP like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You could be right, both are dominant tackles.

I think if our GM was ANYONE other than a former offensive lineman, then Wills would have been his choice for sure. While Becton has a higher ceiling, Wills is good to go NOW.

But that high ceiling potential that Becton offers was intriguing for JD. I think Becton became Joe's pet project last night, and over the next 3 seasons Joe's gonna build Becton into the NFL's top tackle, hands down.

During Joe's phone call with Becton, there was chater about "Remember what we talked about....don't let me down and I won't let you down".

But ya, if our GM was anyone other than Joe Douglas, we'd have been happy with Wills.

12. Footballgod214

Good call! I musta read your post b/c I was really pulling for Becton too. Just love his massive size. He's gonna be fun to watch.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Good tape, thanks.

When we read that summary for the 4 tackles that was circulating last week, one of them (Thomas or Wills) has a devastating first chest punch against the rushing lineman. The summary complained that Becton, as big and strong as he is, has a weak chest punch and needs to work on that with his giant paws.

I have to admit I didn't know about this 'chest punch' technique, but that's something Becton can develop to get even better! I wouldn't want to get chest punched by him!

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think that Becton is the OT that Douglas was targeting and hoping for all along. I think the other 3 will be very solid starters at a minimum, and perhaps very good players. I think that Becton is the only one of the 4 (and have thought that all along) that has perennial All Pro potential, if not HOF potential. When former players and analysts were comparing him with Bryan McKinney and Willie Roaf, then I knew he was something special. Watching video of him, you can see the potential. His size, his movement and grace at that size, his strength, is awesome. I believe that he is going to be a very, very good player for us, if not an all-time great.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Awesome man! Great job :) And, the extra credit you get is that you didn't even care about his combine results, yet his 40 yard dash video became epic viewing. I'm sure you were pleased.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yeah, who knew they could do that?

17. NCJetsfan

That's a bad thing? Just asking for a friend.

18. NCJetsfan

Nope, Congrats on spelling Biadasz' name correctly!

19. NCJetsfan

I love it! You've obviously seen film of some of his college games where he absolutely destroys LBs and DBs. It's hilarious.

20. NCJetsfan

Watch game film. You will see him destroy DL, LBs and DBs.