Welcome to the Jets Malachi Corley (WR)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 26, 2024.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

well first off there’s common sense you have to apply to the situation which is right now our slot receiver is an undrafted free agent who was damn near invisible last year after week one and Corley was one of the best players at his position in terms of production for the last two years. Also from someone covering the team:

https://theathletic.com/5451419/2024/04/27/malachi-corley-jets-nfl-draft/

“It’s not hard to figure out why: Corley is a unique player who will bring a dimension to the Jets offense it didn’t have last season — and he should be able to make an immediate impact. He will be an important addition to an offense that lacked playmakers in 2023 outside of Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall. Fashanu is expected to start out as a backup behind left tackle Tyron Smith. Corley will play right away — precisely because he brings a different skill set to the Jets’ table.”

https://x.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1784050547592425811?s=46&t=eaLIxbRmBqelegocbpHIVQ

“you will see Corley in this rotation”

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-grades-2024-nfl-draft-day-2

“In Corley, the Jets are getting a player with elite ability after the catch -- he calls himself the "YAC king." One NFL offensive coordinator compared him to 49ers wideout Deebo Samuel, saying he plays like a "bull in the china shop." Corley will have a role with the Jets very early on. He's a player you just need to get the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

The Jets receiving group is now taking shape. Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams will start outside. Xavier Gipson will have a role as the slot receiver, but look for Corley to demand touches.”

#61 BroadwayAaron, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    azhar80, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think back to 1/2 way thru last season when Hackett discovered Breece has hands and ordered Zacheria to hit Breece a yd or 2 beyond the LOS and let Breece, well, be Breece. That quick dump off, with Breece gaining like 5-10 yards (almost every time) is sorta what I envision for new YAC-King. Quick hit, go to work.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Strange pick. Role player type. There were more traditional, athletic receivers available. Guess they like something about him.

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

They have a guy who can run every route in Wilson. They have a physical deep threat in Williams. I don’t think you have to think too hard about why they covered the best YAC guy in the country who does all his work underneath.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Guys don't automatically reproduce their college numbers in the pros--I'd be happy if he's better than Xavier but I have my doubts since I think Xavier is getting better and with a QB is probably fine. I think the Corley pick is redundant. Hope you're right that he's a stud.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

or someone could’ve drafted him if jets didn’t…..

7. BroadwayAaron

I have no idea how you could watch tape of Corley and say that he’s redundant. Who’s game does he resemble that we already have? He’s redundant in the sense that he plays the same position as a guy that already plays it right now but he is better with the ball in his hands. I’m pretty confident in saying that.

SOJAZ, JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My view is that if this organization I.e. coaching does not know how to develop a young talent at the QB position, particularly learning behind a great one like AR for a couple of years we will never be a winner long term. We should hire a QB guru and JD should fire our incompetent CS and draft one every year until we strike gold. That is what all great dynasties have in common….a top notch home grown QB. We have not gotten one since JW Namath and may be Kenny O’Brien.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nothing strange about it. He's a beast when he gets the ball in his hands. He gives the Jets a different dimension/option that they didn't have. He can probably play outside as well, but WKU never used him in that way. He has already said that he's working on his route running so that he won't be just a one-trick pony. He wants to be one of the best, most complete WRs in the NFL.

In last year's draft, it was rumored that the Jets were not going to take an OT, but rather Jahmyr Gibbs who is also a RB/slash slot receiver. I think he's faster than Corley, but not as powerful. If they truly loved Gibbs last year, it makes total sense that they would take Corley this year.

SOJAZ, Borat and LAJet like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Some experts are starting to label him a young Randall Cobbs. Now I do believe AR would instantly know what to do with him once he gets a portion of the playbook under his belt.

azhar80, SOJAZ, Borat and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Guy can step in immediately and be a weapon for this offense which is badly needs.

The wisdom is can be develop into a complete WR over the next few years. But nothing wrong with this pick. Makes perfect sense to me.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't think they'll ever win anything as long as Woody owns the team, but they surely won't with a former DC as HC, and maybe not with JD as GM. So far, I think he has knocked this draft out of the park. If Woody knew anything about football, he could grill JD on what he learned from the drafting and mishandling of Zach, or if he decided to fire JD, that could be one of the first and most important questions that he asked of the prospective GM candidates, but he doesn't know jack, so unless it's just dumb luck at some point, it probably will never happen.

I couldn't believe it when there was Brian Daboll who has a long history of working with and developing QBs and as a very good OC and he wanted the job (or at least interviewed), and JD hired Saleh and allowed him to hire a novice OC and QB Coach. Only a naive dolt would have done something so stupid and then turn around and draft a QB #2 in the draft.

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Can you explain this? Aren't all QB throws supposed to be at or behind the LOS?

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

"At or behind the line of scrimmage" refers to where the receiver catches the ball, not where the QB is when he throws it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

his tape is from western Kentucky, not sure what division that is but it’s not the AFC north

16. BrowningNagle

If he could step in and start and be effective immediately he woulda been a 1st rounder not 3rd round, let’s manage expectations here

17. BroadwayAaron

No 3rd rounder steps in and produces immediately? No one is calling the dude a 1k 10 TD receiver. He’s a weapon that just needs the ball and makes the rest happen. And that’s probably why he was a third rounder… not every team is looking for a Swiss Army knife slot guy. If all he ever does is give you what you saw in college (adjusted for pros) then great, well worth the pick. The hope obviously is that he turns into a guy like Deebo who was not a first rounder. And I hesitate to even say that because I think it’s mostly pointless to compare draft positions year to year especially when they are within a round of each other.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

OK Thanks. Thought Reed might be a good candidate for "Mr. Irrelevant."

19. BrowningNagle

you said he was an immediate starter

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Seems like a great kid and playmaker on the field

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.