Welcome to the Jets, James Morgan!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Big Ben 2.0!

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Bortles?

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Hey, why not? It's before the season in which there probably won't be a season. Fertile ground for Jets optimism!

K'OB likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I liked Matt Moore until I learned he had retired. After him, I would have tried to sign one of these 4, with Hoyer probably my #1 choice: Brian Hoyer, Brett Hundley, Colt McCoy, and Chase Daniel. Now that all of those are gone, I'm not sure there is a good choice. I just did a quick check on all of their stats. At least Mike Glennon and Cody Kessler have career completion percentages of 60.9 and 64.2. Aside from, Joe Flacco and Josh McCown, they're the only 2 from that list who do. Several of them have never taken a snap in the NFL. No Thanks. I think Cam Newton would be a distraction and would want too much money. Flacco isn't a fit. McCown probably would want too much money, but at least Sam and he have a good relationship. I don't know about McCown and Gase, however. Cody Kessler might have learned something from Brady and Belicheat even if he never saw the field. We could also pick his brain. I'd probably go with Kessler, although I know nothing about his arm strength or ability to read a D. If not Kessler, I'd go with Glennon.

Would you have signed one earlier? If so, who? If not, would you sign anyone now, or go with Fales and Morgan?

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree about Newton. Why isn't Flacco a fit? Not sure if there is enough playing experience between Kessler and Glennon to make them better backup alternatives. McCown's last backup performance with the Jets was quite awful, so pass. I think Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor are still unsigned and I saw Drew Stanton's name on a list somewhere (11-6 W-L record but 52% comp.) At least these last three guys have a lot of NFL game experience which is what I would be looking for in a backup for a team that is expected to win (like the Jets?)

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree regarding Bortles, Glennon and Kessler. Taylor has a career accuracy of 61.9, but he isn't unsigned. He's still with the Chargers, so isn't availble. IMO it doesn't matter how much experience they've had if they're not an accurate passer. Experience doesn't make up for the lack of talent or hard work. Glennon started 13 games for Tampa Bay his rookie season (2013), has started 22 games, and played in 29 games. IMO that's enough experience that coupled with his better accuracy that the others, he would make a better choice than Bortles. Bortles has tons of experience, but I think his decision making and reading of Ds leaves something to be desired. Kessler has appeared in 17 games, starting 12 of them. That's not a lot of experience, but he's the most accurate of the group, and I think he probably learned a lot from Brady and Belicheat. He's also the youngest, and if he worked out, the Jets may not have to worry about the backup positions for 5 years or more. Then it wouldn't matter what happened with Morgan. If Morgan develops and is much better than Kessler, perhaps they could trade Kessler for a pick when another team loses a QB, they could keep both for a couple of years for insurance, or they could seek to showcase Morgan in preseason in 2021 or 2022 in hopes of trading him for a pick.

westiedog1 likes this.