Welcome to the Jets Denzel Mims!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 24, 2020.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They teach pursuit in high school, how does a professional athlete take an angle that bad?

It baffles me how bad of an angle that was, and not only that, he went complete alligator arms on that tackle.

I want to throw up every time I watch it.

jonnyd likes this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets got smacked by NE in MetLife the week before the TNF game too. That was one of the most miserable games I’ve ever been too. It might’ve been me and @dawinner127 fault because we were front row on the visitor sideline and told Tom we banged his wife so that might’ve pissed him off, LOL.

The Jets also completely shit the bed against Philly the week before that Giants game, but that Giants game was just brutal. It was a twist of the knife in our hearts.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

Keyshawn was a Pro Bowl player who had a good productive career. If Mims is slightly better, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

#103 Joey Jett, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I did not really read many mocks, but look at these 3 Mocks from right before the draft: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

Very interesting. They had Becton going #6 overall to the Chargers, #10 overall to the Browns and #11 overall to the Jets, which actually happened.

But the more interesting thing was Denzel Mims. ALL 3 people had Mims going in the 1st Round. #19 to the Eagles, #27 to the Seahawks and #30 to the Packers.

Amazing value on both picks by Joe Douglas.

themorey likes this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They will only be amazing value if they can play.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Plus a 6th next year:)

7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The more he developes his route tree the more he will get seperation. What I like about Mims is his weakness can be taught....route running. Unlike Lamb you can't teach him speed, & Judy physicality. Mims is the best well rounded WR in the draft. When Shaun Jefferson & Heins Ward coach him up he will undoubtedly be our #1 WR & one of the better young WR's in the league.

CotcheryFan and themorey like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree about Keyshawn Johnson however I do not want to put a cap on Denzel. I believe he has all the tools to be a great WR, top three in the 2020 class.

#108 BudJet, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. I'm too lazy to look back, haven't had coffee yet. A friend of mine sent this to me this morning:

EDIT: I'm positive this is the same guy who did the Sam Darnold compilation video (which was really good) when The Boot was drafted. This was good as well. Layman's terms, no crappy music, no yelling. Some might consider it a little droll, I don't mind it at all.

#109 jetophile, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    The Dark Knight and Ptflea2 like this.
  10. He was extremely impressive at the combine.Forget the metrics which were also great, he just looked like one of the alphas in a loaded positional group.At WR that absolutely matters

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He really did. I was so impressed by his tape predraft but never ever thought he’d be a Jet because we’d have to trade back into the first to secure him and I knew we weren’t doing that in a WR loaded draft. Is the lack of a full route tree really enough to cause a drop to halfway through the second round? Are pro scouts that worried about his ability to create separation? I’m just not understanding how he fell but I’m glad he did.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Both the Philly and Giants games were brutal - not only did they end any realistic hope for the playoffs but it set a somber tone for 2012.

The Jets had won 3 straight and were looking like they were gaining strength....they took the kickoff and were moving the ball against the Eagles. Then Greene fumbled, they returned it for a TD and the season went downhill from there....

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

He's also 22.5 years old. I don't know why, it must be the absurdist in me, but that "stat" in the video made me laugh:

Denzel Mims WR
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 207 lbs
    Hand Size: 9 3/8 (51)
    College: Baylor

22.875 would've hit me funnier, but a laugh's a laugh and I'll take it any way I can get it over the last 10 days. Ugh. : (

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its gonna take him a few years to really be effective in this league. He reminds me of Devante Adams and Adams didn't really break out until year 3. I hope this organization is patient enough to develop him. In the past the Jets haven't been

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s definitely going to take time to develop but I think he will have a more immediate impact than Adams. He’s a red zone threat right out of the gate because of his size, hands and willingness to go get the ball.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mims might break out sooner than 2-3 seasons. Many WRs are drafted and find themselves 'earning' play time behind current roster WRs. That's the way teams like to see it work. Even QBs have to earn it over time.

But with Mims/Jets, he walks in DAY 1 as THEE MAN. THEE WR #1. He's gonna get the ball early and often. If anything, if Mims struggles it will be due to overload and a long NFL season, not fighting for reps. I can see Mims getting 100 catches, 1000yrds year one. Of course, that depends on Sam/OL/Bell/Gase etc. But the table will be set for him (I hope!)

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My question is how much better are Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr, Laviska Shenault, KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, and Van Jefferson than Denzel Mims? 12 Wide Receivers were taken before him. Feels like many Jets fans think he has a chance to be a #1 WR, does that mean the other 12 guys do too? It's interesting as we know WR's are hit and miss. I just wonder why teams did not value his abilities more than some of the other guys. Is it because he played at Baylor? His tape looks strong and his combine was good. I am not sure.

To be fair, I had Mims ranked 5th behind Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs and Higgins. I am no expert though.

Footballgod214 and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe Pittman would've been a better selection for this team but he was gone so what can you do. Mims is definitely better than some of those names chosen ahead of him I agree

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya, 12 WRs went prior to Mims, which was a godsent to us. JD even traded back (and picked up Morgan QB and Clark T) and STILL got Mims. Some teams didn't take ANY WRs (Giants) while other WR needy teams already got on earlier. Draft was loaded with them. Maybe in a 'normal' draft Mims woulda been gone in the 1st?

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my recollection, most all here were high on JJ, Ceedee, Ruggs, Higgins and Pittman before Mims which required for us to use the first pick....There was no way in hell that was going to happen if our target tackles were still there. Many would have thrown up all over the place if we picked Laviska even if available because of his injuries, which I thought was worth the risk, but so be it.. So for a second pick MIms was a good as it gets and a first rounder on any other draft, a player that can very well turn out to be a steal. People are still upset that we were not more appreciative of the value of a WR but it was a very premeditated plan and well executed draft, the like of which we have not had for ever.
    Personally, I would love to see Mims with a chip on his shoulder set the Jets on fire and becomes rookie of the year, leveraging a line that will actually allow the QB time to throw or time to set up the run. That would absolutely be icing on a great cake. A good line that will make all offensive players better.[/QUOTE]

#120 LAJet, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    themorey and The Dark Knight like this.