Welcome to the Jets Denzel Mims!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 24, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I recall Sanders had some great saying about that, something to the effect of "Act like you've been there before"

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

saw something last night where one of the analysts was also lauding his "clutch" ability, making the plays when they matter most

Some guys have that; some wilt

hope it's true

Brook! likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I love the Mims selection and I was surprised he was still there at 59, but I do see him getting the dreaded offensive pass interference call quite a bit.

In the 90s, early 2000s he would be “all world”, but these days they don’t reward physical receivers as much

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Stat is good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

Great that he tracks balls and wrestles them away. But... why isn’t he getting separation? That question is probably why he fell to 59

FJF likes this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Looks good in green

Brook! likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We have Mims and Perriman for less than Robbie this year. We can actually put overwhelming speed on the field at the same time and may actually be able to block long enough to get both of them down the field.

FJF, chandler, BudJet and 1 other person like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He was the 13th WR off the board in a heavily talented WR draft. It's very likely he didn't fall and that's why Douglas traded down. Douglas knew he could get Mims or someone he had graded right with him at that spot. Jefferson was taken two spots in front of him. Douglas probably would have taken Jefferson if Mims went to the Rams. Douglas had the board graded properly and didn't have to reach or fall in love with a guy and panic.

Mims has his issues but if he can be a good red zone target which he obviously can be and he continues to block in the run game, something he can do, while he develops his route running we may have a gem in a couple of years.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m thrilled we got Mims in the second and especially the way it unfolded, but instead of OT3 and WR13 we could have had WR1 and OT 7-8. I’ll go to my grave saying we should have gone Lamb at 11 but I’ll be rooting like hell for Becton and Mims in the meantime.

Mr mittens and jilozzo like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

He was WR13 off the board but has WR5 potential in a stacked WR draft. Agree with your assessment though, he’s an immediate red zone target/underneath target and a threat down the field plus he can block. He’s a starter day one and has the size, speed and hands to be a star if he can get his routes down.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Unlike fans, it's actually a positive to have a GM who doesn't fall in love with prospects. That was a very tactical draft. We simply aren't used to seeing that. I'm not sure he's a starter day 1. He's route running is underwhelming. He has a lot of work to do with the coaches and with this virus he may not get it. He's a developing player but we agree on how he gets in the lineup.

11. BroadwayAaron

Well I’m only calling him a day 1 starter because our WR room is dreadful. He’ll be a day 1 contributor.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

is this good or bad?

is he contested a lot because he can’t shake defenders?

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I just asked the same thing before I saw this.

I don’t know enough about him to answer.

14. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Mims will end our 2nd round jinx!

LAJet likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Its personal opinion, the sole purpose of the thread is for the Jet fans to discuss their views. Your question applies not just to our picks, but to every single pick every other team makes, many of which some here immediately glorify as future HOF or all pros and indisputably should have been our choice, etc etc etc.
    It works both ways. We will soon know on the field, but for now, this a quantum leap better draft (need wise) that prior drafts.

16. BroadwayAaron

Its probably a combo of very good hands and lack of separation. He runs a ton of go routes so unless he absolutely burns a DB he’s probably making a contested catch. But then you look at how many curl routes he runs and couple that with the contested catch stat... probably means he’s not getting a ton of separation.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I heard Michael Irving say he knows this kid well, watch him play a lot, I think he mentioned is from his neck of the woods, and he absolutely loves him. He had nothing but praises and said it will be a great, great pick for the Jets. A difference maker with speed and toughness and a red zone thread.

jilozzo and Catfish Billy like this.
  18. There were alot of great WRs at the combine this yr,to me this kid stole the show.Not talking about the #s though those were mighty impressive.He was just unbelievably smooth, tracked the ball w ease, had soft hands, & exerted alpha traits.

When youve got a loaded WR or even DB group & those guys all do the combine it means something from a competitive standpoint for those who clearly show above the rest.

Last time we saw this so acutely was OBJ.

chandler likes this.
  19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Most pre-draft publications had him going rd. 1...
    I was never even able to get him at pick #48 in any the mock simulation. Joe Douglas did a nice job here...

Now we hope he’s more Al Toon vs Stephen Hill... ;-)

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

irvin loves everyone.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.