Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Okay, I had a bit of an emotional reaction to this pick because there were some players I wanted and I've had a bad opinion of Hack throughout the whole process. I've gone back and watched his Gruden camp, a ton of his games, interviews and some video breakdowns. Here's my more rational, measured take.

- He seems to have great intangibles. Comes across as a hard worker, good kid and great leader. I love the fact that he's only 21 so he still has plenty of capacity to grow into both physically and mentally.

- One of the first things Mac addressed in the presser is his "aptitude" and I can see it. He makes tons of checks at the line pre-snap and dismissed covered reads quickly. He scans defenses out of the corner of his eye and seems to have a good understanding of how they work (a lot more progressed than most college QBs in that regard. Light years ahead of Lynch and Petty).

- Physical tools are obvious. He's huge, athletic and has a cannon. His footwork is inconsistent which leads to his accuracy problems. Then again, apparently he's learned 3 footwork philosophies in 3 years. If we can get him back to fundamentals this problem could be fixable.

I still have plenty of concerns but I still whole heartedly trust Maccagnan. He's made all the right moves and the Lee and Jenkins picks were great, reassuring you that he hasn't lost his mind. If he really liked Hack enough to take him this high I'm actually optimistic and excited to see what he brings to the table. Especially since Gailey is so good with QBs.

Most 'project' QBs are guys with monster upside because of their physical tools but are infantile with regards to football IQ because they come from a joke of an offense. Hack both has physical tools AND a great knowledge of the game, all at age 21. Really the only thing to be cleaned up are the fundamentals to make his accuracy more consistent. If he can do that, this has the potential to be a really good pick. Let's roll.

Freddy Mondo, hwismer, 74 and 12 others like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I'm just praying we have Gailey for a while. He is getting old.

legler82 and Big Cat like this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

People can say all they want but as of right now we have 3 young and physically talented QBs on our roster....Damn this is where coaches make the big bucks

Atleast 1 of these guys has to pan out, right?

Catfish Billy and Martin&theJETS like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. I believed in the reports that they liked him but didn't think they would have the balls to do pull the trigger in round 2. I said in an earlier thread that Mac reminds me more and more of Tanny each passing day. This is just another example. Time will tell if he is a better talent evaluator, but he is definitely as ballsy as Tanny was.

5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Possibly. But it still doesnt make me feel better about picking him in the 2nd round. He's a late-3rd guy at best. Mac didnt get good value here on a QB that "could" turn out to be decent.

Fans here bitch about Fitz , but I think it would be a jackpot draft pick if Hackenberg turns into the QB that Fitz was last year.

But like I said , not likely.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Playing behind a terrible O line, with receivers who could not catch the ball, terrible play calling and the list goes on. Not saying Hackenberg doesn't get any blame because he does have quite a bit to work on but I think he is going to turn out to be a solid QB. He's certainly got the physical attributes needed and with a coaching staff that will actually work with him rather than just throw him out there to figure it out the change should be noticeable.

7. Martin&theJETS

Carson Wentz is a bum. That is all.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Brilliant post! Hopefully, this post will help some of your fellow emotional posters slowly step back from the edge.

9. Martin&theJETS

The comparisons between Tanny and Mac should stop in the FA. Then again the Revis and Skrine contracts aren't good.

However, Tanny is a frat boy gone GM. Let's see Mac punt a football/catch one (cant remember) and then revisit the comparison.

legler82 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He will certainly be a unique hit if he hits. Basically he'll be the guy with 1st round potential who played in a terrible system with a subpar o-line and then got that all fixed at the NFL level and rebounded.

Stranger things have happened.

11. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Then start rooting for another team goddamn it! I'm sick of your bullshit negative-only posts, seriously, people hate the Jets fan base because of people like you. If you hate it so much then change teams but for fucks sake change your fucking attitude in here. It's so damn depressing.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They were both employed by the Texans together for 2 years. I don't find it ridiculous at all that O'Brien would have been bending the ear of the personnel director about somebody he wanted to draft in a year or two.

74 and jdon like this.
  13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I did exactly what you did. I watched Gruden QB camp, watched game tape, etc. Apparently this dude was widely viewed as a potential #1 overall pick after his freshman year. If that is the case, the Jets must feel that this season is a better representation of his ability and potential. I am on board with this pick and hope we spend the rest of our picks on Oline to build towards the future to ensure good protection. I hope him slipping some in the draft makes him hungry and puts a chip on his shoulder. We need a QB with some fire. Go Jets and go Hack.

14. irishwhip03

Well maybe since we have a history of taking players with decent college track records , in the 2nd round , its bound to be different in this case lol.

15. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I like the pick.

PulseJet likes this.
  16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

The guy who went first overall has a record of what? 14-23 .....

Br4d and Ozymandias like this.
  17. irishwhip03

And that was a bad/questionable pick too. Rams and Eagles are not teams we should be modeling after.

Every QB so far has been overdrafted. Its laughable.

18. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

As a big time Penn State fan he had a horrible offensive line. Now he should get some of the blame like his footwork and he needs to get the ball out of his hand faster. Plus he right his coaches are garbage since O'Brien left.

19. irishwhip03

Im fully aware of the oline issues they had. And the coaching and the offense as a whole. I've heard more excuses for this kids numbers than with any prospect I can remember. As if he was the only QB in college football history to suffer from not so great players around him.

Its not so much that I hate the pick. Its just that I hate it where we got him. The only reason Im not totally flipped out over it is because the two players I wanted we're picked right before 51 in Reed and Martin. If anyone I had my sights set on was there Id probably hate it more.

20. GreenGuy8

GreenGuy8 New Member

Hahah has everyone come off the ledge yet? Plans in place to resign Fitz. Trust in the FO, I see most of us are still not used to having a competent, aligned FO and Coaching staff