Welcome to the Jets, Chad Hansen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Apr 29, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Completely disagree here. Watch some film on the guy, he plays very well in traffic and he comes down with some contested jump balls. Yes, I know highlight reels are intended to show off the best plays, but even his scouting reports point out his strength as a... strength:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chad-hansen?id=2558069

STRENGTHS
    Maneuvers around route redirection in space and keeps his route on time. Works back to the throw. Has some talent after catch on wide receiver screens. Drive off the line and into his routes is consistent no matter which level he is going to work. Good awareness near sidelines. Able to drop his feet in-bounds when crowded against the boundary. Plays with good strength and physicality when mugged in his routes. Has fluid, powerful strides to burst past cornerbacks on vertical routes. Natural ball-tracker. Plus body control for ball adjustments in any direction. Hands are strong and can secure in traffic. Didn’t have to run much of the route tree, but showed willingness to work the middle. Gives physical, extended effort as run-blocker punching into cornerbacks frame and locking out. Able to make first tackler miss and accelerate into open field.

But yes, to be fair, one of his listed weaknesses is his inability to stay strong off the LOS in press coverage. But the notion that he's as frail as David Nelson is just off.

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

contested catches are different than separation from man coverage at the line of scrimmage. He hasn't been jammed at the line, he just hasn't. He's wishes he was David Nelson. He's gonna be punched in the mouth by cornerbacks that are bigger than him as soon as the ball is snapped and I don't see him being able to fight that off. especially in the AFC East where every team we play, plays with aggressive man-to-man corners.

like I said, hopefully I'm wrong. In 4 years if he becomes good feel free to bump this and make fun of me. I don't care, I'll be glad to be wrong. But I don't see it with this kid and I wouldn't have taken him for the sole reason that I don't believe he has an NFL body.

PFF compared him to Demaryius Thomas. Thomas has like 40+lbs on this kid. WTF are they smoking

#22 BrowningNagle, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. BroadwayAaron

I just don't see how he doesn't have an NFL body. He's 22 years old and is 6'2", 202 pounds. You figure he puts on at least 10 or so pounds over the next year or two and that puts him right in Decker territory who is considered a pretty decent-sized receiver. His strength and toughness are listed as strengths, and while he hasn't faced physical corners that will bump you off your route on the LOS, I find it very hard to believe he's just going to float like a feather into the abyss as soon as someone touches him.

Pags2112 likes this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Don't worry. They brought Rex in to fart at him and he survived the crosswind. Not many do.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

Furthering the point:

http://www.scout.com/college/california/story/1774259-chad-hansen-drafted-by-new-york-jets

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

We'll have to see how he holds up against aggressive man coverage but saying he is going to get punched in the mouth by bigger corners, I don't know about that, he is going to have 10-15 lbs. on the average corner. That is going by his draft profile on NFL.com and wiki page, one shows him at 202 and the other 205, ESPN also shows 205. I think the 185 that shows under wiki search results before you go into his full page. Cal shows him at 190 but many colleges never update their players height or weight from the time they start there.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. richieC

richieC Active Member

Interesting you say he will have trouble with press corners. Can't wait to see if you are right.
    On tape, love how this guy competes for the ball in the air.
    Good character, hard worker, willing blocker = Guy is a competitor.

Jets top 4 picks this year >> Solid football players that will give great effort on Sundays. And after last year's team full of NO effort guys... nice to see team restocking with Solid citizens, who will fight for the team.

PulseJet, Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.