Welcome to the Jets Alijah Vera-Tucker - OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2021.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

We take the best guard in the draft .. JD ranked as a top 10 player and people are crying. Too funny

J-Raw24, FJF, papapump and 7 others like this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

too bad you’re wrong. Not only was he easily the best G in the draft, he was top 10 on JD’s board. Excellent pick.

BradysTornACL, NCJetsfan and PJ4Ever like this.
  3. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I like this pick. The trade off is fine if he ends up being a good as advertised and lasts for years. Loving the new look o line and I suspect Douglas ain’t done yet

4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

There are perfectly valid reasons to put it down. They are opinions. Yours is not superior.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh believe me here it’s superior. All you guys do is try to ruin every draft. Douglas knows OL. That he knows. If he moved up for this guy, the guy is really good. Who the heck cries and complains about picking a player 14th who is a consensus top 10-15 pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why. Not at the same level.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We were fine giving up capital for Sam too - on draft day.

Its hard to say if this move was decisive or desperate. I get going for the player you want but I'm not sure he wouldn't have fallen to us at 23 like some are. Its also a little much to give for a player that is not considered a blue chip.

Pick 66 was still a pretty high pick. And the 4rth we got back is basically a 5th because we moved from pick 87 to pick 144, that's 57 picks lower. This is because there are 10 conditional picks at the end of round 3 this season, and the pick we got is also the last conditional pick of round 4. We turned pick 23 in round 3 into pick 39 in round 4. If we pick at 34 tomorrow we wont be picking again for 74 picks.

If Tucker becomes a great player it will payoff though. If he ends up average or busts then it wont. Time will tell.

#87 ouchy, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

You draft the player NOT THE HELMET. It was a GREAT PICK. We have a GM that knows what he is doing.

Brook! and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Only some are against it. A lot of posters on here are happy with the move. Forget the naysayers. Remember Jet fans are jaded AF on one topic or another. Some love Wilson others Fields. A faction in the Watson camp some not so much. We all deserve a little runway to bitch and moan when we need to.
    We have all been through several hundred dump trucks full of shit getting dumped on our heads right?
    J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

NCJetsfan and PJ4Ever like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

EXACTLY right. We had a glaring hole at G, and we ended up with the best one in the draft and only had to exchange two 3ds for a 4th to do it. Bears gave up 1st, 4th, and 5th to move up same 9 spots. Most likely AVT is not there at 23, gone by 17 if not outright taken by the Vikings at 14.

Bottom line, JD ensured we get the best highly rated player at the position of top need with no other G anywhere near his level in the draft or left in free agency. The price was not that high for what we got.

11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Maybe you should ask them why so you can learn. Here’s my take: I’m sure he’ll be a good player and a starter. He may even be very good. My issue with the pick is not the player, I’m sure he’ll be a helpful addition. My gripe is, once again, an organizational philosophy and plan that doesn’t seem to align with what successful organizations do. The jets are not a team that can afford to trade away multiple assets to move up and draft a guard. I’ve said it multiple times, but the evidence shows (and qualified people opine) that you’d better build around these 4 positions: QB, DE, CB, OT and I would argue a 5th now is WR. If you don’t have impact players at those positions, you don’t usually win for any length of time.

The jets have massive holes at a lot of those positions. Getting the QB was good, but the jets have no corners, need another edge rusher, and need a number one receiver. I don’t think AVT is a bad player, but it’s a mismanagement of assets IMO to trade away 2 3rd round picks to move up and take a guard. It’s a weird move IMO. It reminds me of when the jets went out and signed a RB and ILB to huge deals when those positions are not very relevant and they ignored the big 5. The jets need a guard, and he’ll probably be very good, but it’s just a weird for me. If the jets can nab a good corner at the top of round 2 then maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but it’s perfectly ok and legitimate to question the pick. And that’s ok

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD on On Alijah Vera-Tucker
    "I think for us, this really came down to having a player in our Top 10 sitting there and us having the ability to have the picks to go get this player, someone we feel like can help us for a long time here. We’re always going to try to be strong upfront, both sides of the ball, so this goes into that.

"Look, before this year Alijah was a left guard, and he was a really good left guard, and this year he was a really good left tackle. So, obviously him playing on the left side for the majority of his career, being in that left-handed stance, being comfortable in that left-handed stance, that’s probably why that was said. With him being an athlete and having the versatility that he has, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem for him being in a right-handed stance either, but just excited to get him in here and have him start competing."

Brook!, IIMeanDeanII and PJ4Ever like this.
  13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Ask Sam Darnold if he would have liked this pick. I’m sure looking out of your ear hole gets old pretty fast.
    GREAT move by JD.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's the only negative I heard so far about the guy.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We hopefully got our QB that’s one. We acquired Carl Lawson who is still young to be our edge in FA, and we got in Becton and AVT can compete for tackle.

You’re right we’re kinda screwed at corner but 1. The draft isnt over, 2. There are still decent free agents out there at the corner position and lastly, we were unlikely to fill every need this year.

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

How’s that a negative?

17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I wanted AVT badly but Didn’t like it at first bc I thought we gave up too much but he can also easily trade down from 34 to recoup some picks. Got 5 top 3 round picks next year as well. I love the move after thinking about it

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think he is poking fun at Kiper

HomeoftheJets, Borat and PJ4Ever like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have a rookie QB. Sometimes you need to make an adjustment based on your situation and who is there. Guard was a tremendous need. It sucks to give up two 3ds, but we got 4th back. Also, best Edge and CB on the board were injury prone ones: Farley and Phillips. Can't take that risk when there is glaring whole in OL and a rookie QB. Right pick. Now need to hit on the 2nd rounder, and we got some volume after the 3d where hopefully there will be a couple of hits. So far so great.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member