Week 9 Studs and Duds NYJ vs LAC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 7, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

boyle is in his 6th year and on his 4th team. he isn't some rookie. what is with the crazyness today?

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that starting Boyle or Siemian is the answer... but I know that Zach isn't.

REVISion, dawinner127 and papapump like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is something that people only say when the stats don't agree with their take. It all matters - the eye test, the stats, the context - everything.

Speaking of context, how many sacks did Wilson take that took us out of field goal range? It was multiple. He also turned the ball over twice. I'm sorry, but he did not play better than Herbert just because he had more passing yards (most of which came in garbage time with the Chargers playing prevent).

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The O-line sucked at opening up any hint of a running lane.

But in pass protection, they really did alright--they allowed zero sacks in under 2.5 seconds and 6 of the 8 they did allow, Zach held the ball for over 4.0 seconds, which is an insane amount of time to hold onto the football. NFL average is 2.8 seconds from snap to release-- the "good" QBs are more like 2.35 seconds or less.

Zach is the dud here, although keeping extra blockers in probably contributed to nobody being open.

abyzmul, papapump and REVISion like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

we all know he isn't. that was the point of trading for rodgers. nobody is denying that which is why I don't get the crazy comments some make. the point is sadly he's our best option and that the offensive failures aren't all on him.

6. GasedAndConfused

and people who use stats only use them when they agree with their point. it works both ways.
    the reality is that teams base everything on film review and practice. not stats for a reason. stats are for fans and fantasy and for discussion. they aren't an indicator of pure performance. thats why sports keep coming out with new stats, more ways to measure and even in say baseball errors aren't counted against a pitchers ERA. NFL doesn't have anything like that

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Don’t talk about reality.

8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He missed the first throw of the game, he missed another where he threw it too far to sideline giving Wilson no chance to bring it in in bounds, he had another errant throw on the run after avoiding Mack and he missed Wilson on a crosser that could of went for 6 late in the 4th. That’s all on top of my head so I’m sure there is others. He also had an easy first down but tosses to a RB with no chance of a first instead of running it himself and one drive he literally took a sack with team in FG range and forced them to punt.

Only 2 of the sacks happened in under 2.5 seconds and the other 6 he held on the ball too long. He was dreadful along with others on the offense. (Turner, Uzomah, Ruckert, Lazard, Mitchell)

Some of the Wilson hate is over the top but the guy was pretty bad yesterday in every way you can think of. Big step back imo.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the All-22 clips...

10. GasedAndConfused

I probably shouldn't because people just want to be angry and vent right now clearly

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

OK--i made a bad point here--it doesnt mean anything more than that or diminish everything else that is being said

12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

What's the worst that can happen, we only score six points? We're already there!

REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

he missed the 1st throw yes. he also missed GW on a slant later on as well. the sideline to GW wasn't a miss, GW didn't give him space on the sideline like you are supposed to. even though aikman was shitting on zach all game, even he pointed that out. the toss to the RB was a mistake. IDK if he would have gotten the 1st but he could have. would have been close. but I think he thought the LBer was gonna go after him but he didn't and stayed with the RB. I'll even give you the sack as well. so 4 mistakes in about 60 drop backs. 2 bad decisions and 2 bad throws.

as far as "holding on" goes it really depends what was goign on downfield. every replay I seen during the game, he had nowhere to go with the ball. SD played our defense. max cover and get pressure with only 4 and we had no answer becuase bosa/mack/tuli were dominating our o-line.

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I’ll wait for the all 22 on that early pass to Wilson again but by multiple replays that I saw, he led Wilson out of bounds. The other the 3 are clear errant throws though. Zach needs more awareness to just throw it away if you clearly see nothing happened in the first few seconds of max protect. The constant just holding and waiting and waiting and taking a 10+ yard sack just shouldn’t happen and he does this time and time again.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That seems to happen a lot. Zach Wilson is very inaccurate at the sideline. Too far out and too far above their heads

The thing is that the receivers take some big shots trying to haul in these garbage passes at the sideline. Garrett Wilson in particular has gotta be tired of that shit

16. GasedAndConfused

i'm not diminishing anything. the offense was putrid. zach isn't good. nobody is denying it. but right now people are just being rash and emotional. and i'm honestly an idiot for trying to reason with people in that state. i'll probably just bounce for a few days to let people calm down so they can be rational again

17. GasedAndConfused

i'll just wait for KYs breakdown he usually has some good images

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Sorry man--its not rash to expect the same performance next week if we play ZW--why should we settle for that?

19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I was about to call Zach a dud, but his stats are mediocre. 67% completion percentage & 80 QB rating isn't bad, but he made some awful decisions and didn't pass the eye test.

He took 8 sacks and whiffed on several throws that would have been easy first downs if accurate.

He also constantly got the ball out late, making some of those catches way harder than they had to be.

The fumble was awful. The decision to pitch the ball forward when he could have ran for an easy first down.

Yes, the oline was bad too, but Zach has to have more awareness in the pocket and be quicker to throw it away. It's sickening watching him STILL giving up those mega sacks halfway through his 3rd season. It seems like most of the time he just hesitates.

#79 Jets OG fan, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Jets81 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

because imagine you are a 3/10 and all the girls who are options are a 2-4. you can't turn around and go why can't I have a 10 why should i settle for a 2-4? the reality is you can't do better. thats our position right now.
    zach is a 3/10 maybe a 4/10 on a good day. we can win if the rest of the team does their job. yesterday the whole offense failed. zach was what he was. played about as good as you can expect from him. hell to be fair turner played about as good as you expect from him. he's not good and he got owned by elite edge rushers.