Week 9: (3-5) Jets at (3-4) Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Oct 31, 2016.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One thing I disagree with is that the game was entirely mental for him. He was always in top shape and one of the quickest (if not fastest) and strongest corners in the game.

He was a short game player that never let receivers depend on timing or predictability to make any yards, and that's why he destroyed every elite receiver in the league in 2009.

Now his quickness is gone and he's afraid to use his strength because his recovery speed, which wasn't great to begin with, is gone.

Not to mention he kind of looks chubby.

He's definitely done. His only hope is the safety position, and it's a really small hope at this point.

onefanjet likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, I'll believe otherwise when Revis gets benched for getting repeatedly burned (and not the really convenient injury either). Its not like there aren't alternatives on the roster. Revis may have been the GOAT, but not anymore.

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Are the Jets even favored to win against Miami? I'd be surprised if they are. I mean they are sitting at dead last in the division right now. What I see is a team that is not getting any better from last season to this season. The linebacking corp was supposed to be MUCH faster and better overall. Instead, it is at very best a little worse than last season. The CS still doesn't even trust the linebackers that they drafted. If they had, toilet Bowles would not have Sheldon Richardson playing as a stand up linebacker.

The defense, the HC's specialty, actually SUCKS and has constant breakdowns in coverage. These breakdowns have provided the opposition with easy touchdowns. The OL, is an enormous problem area that has cost this team most of their losses. The secondary is legitimately OFFENSIVE.

Based on the current status quo, I can't find any reason why beating Miami should give anyone confidence and claiming that the Jets are getting better?

Red Menace likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, Red. I feel more confident with Ajayi vs the Jets' run defense, than I would if Tannehill had thrown for 300 or 400 yards in each of the Dolphins last two victories vs our pass defense. Still, as you say, if Fitz plays like he did in the 1st half last week and the Jets show up flat again, this team will lose and could lose big.

It will be interesting to see what Brandon Marshall's body language looks like this week.

greaser, Cman68 and Red Menace like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Good point about the defense, it's an indictment against TB that Arizona has not skipped a beat on the defensive side of the ball. I think they are just as good as they were when he was their DC.

The issue with the LB is that they are playing the 4-3 and the jets have the LB personnel for the 3-4. You can't make this up!

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Who was the alternative against the Browns when Skrine was already inactive?

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He's gone from GOAT to goat in the matter of 10 games.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Williams..or was he already on the field? How many Db's do the Jets carry? More than 3? asking the question.. Point being is that there has to be another alternative to Revis or else find some way to protect the former GOAT from getting beat deep.

#48 Cman68, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about Jarvis Landry being covered by Revis.... I'll take our chances with the run

JetLifeLo likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand that. However, you have Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore who are all proven losers. Then you have Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg who at least have a slight chance of being successful. Thus, that chance gives the Jets the edge. I was just answering the question that was asked. Of course neither situations are good at the moment.

11. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

One of my biggest concerns is the loss of yards we give up with stupid penalties. OLine motion is unforgivable. The holding calls are bad for both the O and the D. The D holding calls sometimes are nonexistent, and Offensive interference is rarely called.
    The D line can stop AJ, we just need decent coverage on the passing. I sure don't want to see another 3-4 play TD given up in the first series. Too many of them so far!

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

As a fan I'm hopeful that as a team, we can ride our 2nd half momentum (hopefully) gained from a come from behind victory in Cleveland and come out of the gates sharp down in Miami.

Bring with us that same type of execution and overall sense of ergency in which we seen starting off the 2nd half in Cleveland, come into the game with a road warriors mentality and i like our chances of improving to 4-5 overall and 2-0 within our division.

I'm preaching a strong start to the game while riding momentum from our biggest 2nd half come from behind road win within Franchise history because with all that's on the line - a chance to improve to 4-5 overall, a 3 game win streak moving forward, a divisional opponent followed by a hosting struggling West Coast team in the Rams travelling from California to the East Coast for a 1:00 game the following week etc and it'll be a true disappointment to see us come out flat this Sunday.

Epecially considering how much of 2016's season will either be gained or lost depending on a win or a loss. The differential will be make or break in terms of having a chance at a winning season.

13. The Dark Knight

I find it interesting how many around the league are high on the (3-4) Dolphins, yet down on the (3-5) Jets who ran into a buzzsaw of a first 6 weeks. By no means am I saying the Jets should be praised as a good team, but they are not as bad as some say either. I get the Phins RB had back to back 200 yard games. Good for him. I still don't buy them as a good team though. Certainly not one ranked better than the Jets.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That number 27 kid got 49 of the 72 snaps in the game. You remember seeing him at all? no, because he wasn't getting burned all game. That's an alternative

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Again, it's not our record. It's how we have been playing. We have been more or less noncompetitive in half of our losses. Statistically speaking, we have one of the worst quarterbacks and one of the worst secondaries in the league. A truly disastrous combination in today's pass-happy NFL.

Arguably, the dolphins have, generally speaking, outplayed us. They handled Pittsburgh rather convincingly. Pittsburgh handled us. They lost a nail-biter in Seattle (One of the toughest places to play in the league). We were down by 17 points to the Seahawks in the 4th quarter, before a fluke fumble recovery made the score more respectable, at home. We were completely destroyed on national tv in Arizona, against a team that has generally been a pretty big disappointment, thus far. We were utterly embarrassed by the Chiefs after 11 days off. The only two comparisons that don't completely favor the Dolphins: 1) Both teams handled the Bills similarly well, and 2) We played Cincy better than they did.

Having pointed all of that out, this is obviously a winnable game. I think us and the Dolphins are very evenly matched teams. But, we are underdogs and we deserve to be.

wampa likes this.
  16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As long as Fitztragic doesn't show up we got a chance to win.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Might have something to do with the Phins beating Pittsburgh, and playing @Seattle very tough whereas we got our asses kicked vs every contender.

18. The Dark Knight

Yeah, well said. Just feels like many are considering Miami much better than the Jets and I don't see it. I guess we will find out on Sunday.
    Definitely fair points.

19. BacktoQueens

I don't mind the criticism of Bowles or Revis. I'm very disappointed in both this season.

But imo the criticism that Bowles should bench Revis is misplaced.
    Benching Revis, and putting Roberts (who i certainly did notice) on Pryor would have been even more disasterous without help.

The better move, and the better criticism imo, is not leaving a player 1:1 with a receiver when it's clear they are struggling big time with it.
    Have to make adjustments, roll coverage, and change things up when they are not working.
    Roberts is not better than Revis, please.
    That's my takeaway anyway, and i hope they make adjustment and don't approach Landry like they did Pryor.

Also if i'm benching a guy, it's Calvin Pryor, as the lack of quality CB play is necessitating S support in coverage more than ever.......and Calvin has not been up to the task.

#59 BacktoQueens, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  20. BacktoQueens

didn't Ben get hurt in that game vs Miami?

Dolphins are a worse team than us imo.
    These 2 wins may give them fresh legs, but their players don't strike me as guys that give a shit....

knock them early, and they'll throw in the towel like usual..