Week 5- NY Jets @ Chargers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Sep 28, 2014.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. There is no context there. When the offense turns the ball over in their own red zone, does that tell the whole story?

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Jets 24-13.
    Bold Prediction: We'll get a KR or *wait for it* a PICK SIX!
    Bold Prediction 2: Defense allows less than 300 total yards, Big Mo & Coples get 2 sacks a piece.
    Bold prediction 3: Geno has a INT free game, but fumbles once still.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

YEW make a valid point....an ineffective O will no doubt put the defense in precarious positions - regardless of what the stats say. Drive killing penalties, int's, fumbles all work against the D with respect to total points allowed....

However, it can support other stats such as yards allowed cause the opposing O has a shorter field.

Big Cat likes this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I remember back in about 2002, the Jets were 2-5 and going on the road to face San Diego, who were a much better team at 6-1... Going to 2-6 would have been pretty devastating. The Jets ended up surprising, winning that game in a landslide and ultimately getting hot and going to the playoffs. They started that season 1-4, actually with multiple blowout losses early on.

Ya never know... Maybe they can surprise in this game and get hot.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You play...to win...the game!!!!

NYJetsO12 and Axel3419 like this.
  6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

hello!!!!!

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've noticed that, which on the surface seems a statistical anomaly. But it really isn't when you look at the way the O has left the D with poor field position too often. There's just not all that much yardage opponents have had to cover in order to score.

I will slip in here below the radar an admission I hope my enemies do not notice, though. Walls has been playing a bit better than I feared.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Big Blocker

Again, you are wrong. Yards allowed is also a function of where the O gives the D field position. After the D gives up a TD, they come off the field. They have no "opportunity" to give up any more yards.

Imo you have to look at a number of stats to get a fairly accurate picture. Yards allowed standing alone can give a very distorted picture.

9. Big Blocker

I remember that game, and the Jets were the tougher team, and presented matchup problems for the Chargers. The Jet Cb's in particular frustrated Rivers. I don't see that happening on Sunday. Different Jets team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. crimetime31

crimetime31 Member

Brees was the QB in 2002.

11. crimetime31

crimetime31 Member

I don't see how the jets don't win this game. Have you guys seen the injury report?

Their best guy on the D line is questionable with a concussion
    Their OLBs, Freeney is questionable, Ingram is out
    Their ILBs Butler is questionable, Te'o is out. their backup Walker is doubtful.
    Their CBs, the rookie Verrett is questionable, their #2 CB Wright is probably out.
    Their OL, their RG Clary is out
    Their C Hardwick is out, their backup Ohrnberger is probably out.
    Their RB Mathews is out, Their backup RB Woodhead is out.

That's pretty extensive. Richardson and Wilkerson should have a field day and they can't run and their D is a mash unit.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They still have Keenan Allen though, one of the best route runners in the game today. He's going to have a big game more than likely.

13. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

We always get the worst of rivers. I'm more confident we'll win this game than I was for the past 3.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

4pm west coast games have never been kind to the Jets. I don't see anything different this time even with the "best DB in the NFL" back on the field. Rivers will have his way with our secondary. Their defense will stack the box and dare Geno to beat them thru the air. The results will most likely be the same. Close game but another loss for the NYJ's.

15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73
    Rex says Nelson "wasn't bad" moving around today. "I was a little shocked" #Jets
    50m

I would rather not see Nelson force the issue here. He should get healthy first ...especially since he wasn't too effective before anyway. Want to see Kerley, Salas and Powell with Graham providing deep threat.

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

heh, thing is that if you really have a top 5 defense it doesn't matter. In 2009 and 2010 the Jets turned the ball over alot yet the defense still ranked #1 and #5 in points allowed both seasons.
    Part of the problem is the defense doesn't generate turn overs so far, if the Defense were just average in creating turnovers the differential would only be -2 instead of -5. It's true that the Jets offense is tied for 21st in the league in give aways but the defense is ranked #31 in takeaways. Don't get me wrong, I'm not laying this all on the defense (I've always been a staunch defender of the defense and still am), but the defense has some serious issues which need to be addressed. Not as many issues as the offense has, but the defense this year isnt an elite one either.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Decker is questionable and a game time decision. Nelson was listed as doubtful but Rex was "stunned" by his improvment today.

18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Give me SALAS! Sit on the fucking bench Nelson we are not playing basketball here and dont need you to box out CB's for 0...I repeat 0 potential for YAC

19. Big Blocker

I am sorry. I thought we were talking about the game in SD in I think it was 2009? It wsa a playoff game. I don't remember the 2002 game, frankly.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

May you be forever right on this prediction.