Week. 4- Lions @ NY Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RubenDias, Sep 23, 2014.

1. melvin2345

melvin2345 New Member

That the Lions are beatable, I agree 100%. The crappy game in Carolina wasn't as one sided as the final score indicated. The Lions started out moving the ball at will.
    1st drive - start Det 20, got to Car 31. Nate Freese misses a FG. Disappointment creeping in.
    2nd drive - start Det 12, got to Car 27. Bell had the ball knocked out on a great defensive play by Carolina. Disappointment growing.
    3rd drive - start Det 43, got to Car 49. Punt. Disappointment getting critical.
    4th drive - start Det 20, got to Car 31. Again, Nate Freese misses a FG. Team looks absolutely deflated.
    5th drive - start Det 20, got to Det 35. Punt. Ugh.
    6th drive - start Det 37. TD. Nate Freese forgot he was Nate Freese and made the PAT.

At this point we're in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Game was 7-6 Det, but the missed scoring opportunities have drained all motivation, and Carolina goes on a rampage. As long as they don't get down early, and Henery isn't worthless, I think the Lions might be alright. Maybe not a win, but not get embarrassed.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Almost no chance they get embarrassed or blown out. Rex Ryan doesn't coach that way. He coaches to keep games close. (Unless the Jets themselves get blown out) Very rare for the Jets to embarrass anyone. If the Jets win, it will be 27-21ish kind of game.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

God I cant wait for this game, immense pressure to win. 1-3 would be almost a death sentence.....

4. NewYorkEveryThing

2 long suffering fanbases.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The loser bowl

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The run game must be strong tomorrow.

7. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

Eh, both teams have had tastes of recent success that then quickly faded away.

8. Virginia Jet

Virginia Jet Member

I'm remarkably late to the thread, but I'd say that the Lions determine what happens. I tend to regard the Lions as somewhat inconsistent and/or streaky, so a Jets win is not inconceivable, but they'll have to have some help from an underperforming Stafford-Johnson combination. We can only hope.

I would like to see Smith play a good largely error-free game without interceptions directly leading to points.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I bet on the Jets. Lions aren't good enough to be road favorites and the Jets aren't bad enough to be home dogs.

10. DanR

DanR Active Member

Running the ball goes against what Marty believes in. So even if Marty runs the ball in the Lions game, I expect that sooner or later he will revert back to a passing game as if Peyton is our QB.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Running the ball doesn't "go against what Marty believes in" although MArty definitely likes to try and move the ball through the air more than Tony Sparano did. The offense has shown the ability to move the ball through the air, when Decker is available. Running the ball against the Lions defensive front is going to be a bit futile, so I'm just hoping Decker can stay out there the whole game.

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Winters is the guy who scares me most today.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'll be pretty surprised if the jets win this game.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does. Marty is about as pass happy as you can get. You can't find a fan-base where he has been that actually thinks he is good at calling plays.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

the Jets are currently 5th in the league in rushing attempts. last year they finished 5th in rushing attempts.

so aside from that yea ... lets kill MM for passing too much.

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

How many of the rushing attempts are Geno running for his life -- that were supposed to be pass plays

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No problem with MM calling pass plays. If its there, it's there - take it.

MM's play calling during the first half of the GB game was pretty inventive and had the Packers on their heels. And Geno's pick on the attempted TD throw to Sudfeld after being up 21-3 was more on Brian Winters whiffing on the play and not MM needlessly forcing it. Sudfeld (and his 6'6" frame) was behind the defender. That could've and should've been a TD if not for Smith getting hit by Winter's man while throwing: 28-3 Jets. I'd take that same same shot again. That said, I didn't get the Geno QB draw on 3rd and goal from the 2. Monday morning quarterbacking aside, I'd have had Ivory trying to hammer it in and if need be, have Ivory doing it again on 4th down as well. Worse case scenario, GB takes over on their own 1.

Jets 27; Lions 23.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Because it's a well known fact that geno is the only qb in the league to run on a pass play.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One thing I've learned is Rex Ryan will NOT let one good player beat him. Whether it be Graham, Marshall, Megatron, whoever. Rex forces offenenses out of their comfort zone and forces them to beat him with plan-b/c/d players.

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

You're one of those people who's clearly going to bitch no matter what, even when facts are in front of your face. Enjoy the negativity.