Week 1's Influence On Tomorrow's Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Sep 11, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

So I listened to the pregame video clip on the Jets website, and McIntyre was talking about how it is to our advantage that the Bills played the Patriots week 1. Being that Mike Pettine is running essentially the same defensive scheme as we have/are, we can look at film from last week and see how the Patriots tried to attack it, and what failed for them or succeeded.

I hadnt really thought of this, but it could be a big overlooked advantage. Rex can try and tailor a defensive gameplan to counter what the Patriots ran effectively. He can also throw looks at them that the Pats struggled with (ie pressure up the middle).

Of course we know that Rex is the teacher of Pettine and is the real mastermind behind the Jets defense in the past, so hopefully Rex can come up with some things that really throw Brady off.

On the other hand, Brady and the offense got a taste of a similar defense to ours.

Do you think that we are the one with the advantage here, or does it not really matter at all?

2. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Saw one twitter scout post that Pettine ran a more similar defense to San Fran scheme wise than the Jets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Pettine: The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."

Rex: "Only a master of zone blitzes."

<<<sorry, I couldn't resist>>>

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

You gotta believe that Rex anticipated having his former guy coaching in the same division. If he doesn't have some original wrinkles planned for them I'd be surprised...

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I think what they can do is see how the BIlls were able to generate pressure...was the front 4 alone able to get to Brady...where did they open up holes...The Jets front 4 and front 7 are way more athletic than in Rex's first 4 years which should allow for some interesting things this season on defense.

6. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The best way to get Brady is not just with pressure, but to go right through the o-line, collapse the pocket. Then he can't step into his throw, and it is also great against the run.

If the weather is rainy, we will have a great opportunity against Ridley, who is prone to fumbling. If he fumbles once, he will be benched the rest of the game though. But he's their best healthy running back right now.

It'll be interesting to see what Rex has in store for the Patriots; I'm sure he will try to be unpredictable, yet also incorporate things that the Bills did that worked.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They need to stay Focused.

One thing younger players tend to do is let emotions and anxiousness affect their play.

Veterans take advantage of this and will torch them.

Poised and stick to the Rex gameplan.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Another advantage is the Pats have game film on Geno. They saw veteran level poise and some excellent down field throws from Geno, so the Pats will be less likely to stack the box to stop the run.

This alone will give Ivory/Powell a fighting chance to get something started on the ground, which will help move the chains and open up a bit of play action.

This will also make the 3-4 WC plays MM will call much more effective (Powell only has to fake out one LB, not half the team stacking the LOS).

They also saw Geno do a really good job of running various screen plays, which is the main tool used to kill an aggressive pass rush. Pats are less likely to bring a ton of extra pressure if they know Geno has no problem killing them with screens.

The Pats saw that Geno was the leading rusher last week for the Jets...Geno can take advantage of an opening to move the chains. While this is not a huge threat, if forces the Pat's defense to respect lanes and stay home, versus running anywhere they want to kill the QB.

The Bucs played 'Stack the Box and force a rookie QB to beat us'. The Pats may be forced to play something a bit more complicated.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think you are right with this.

There's no doubt BB sketched a rough outline for what he'd do to the Jets even before their Bills game, because he knew he only had 4 days after that to prepare for the Jets.

So my guess is, that's exactly what he rough-planned... "Stack the box and force the rookie to beat us." And I venture to say that he would have had the same rough plan in mind even if it had been Sanchez as the starter, since Sanchez is prone to rookie mistakes also, even though this is his his 5th year (but that's subject for discussion ad nauseum in the "Sucks" thread).

My point is, BB had this plan in his head prior to the Bills game and then, after watching film of the Jets' Bucs game Monday morning, he now realizes Geno is not your typical rookie.

So yeah, I anticipate he'll now have to respect Geno a little more and play more traditional DEF and that means a changeup, but I'm not overemphasizing this as a huge challenge for him, because it simply isn't.

But it presents a real problem for him. Play too conservatively and you embarrassingly get beat by the rookie who runs the ball down your throat and completes some really nive, crisp, accurate throws to torch you. Or, throw too many wrinkles and blitzes at the rookie and be embarrassed when nobody's home and he torches you with a good one to Holmes.

Either way, it's a problem for him tonight. Rex, on the other hand, knows Brady better than his own brother and knows what he'll go after adn he also knows what Pettine threw at then and whether or not it was working. So this is going to be a really, really interesting matchup tonight. Advantage: Jets.

10. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Yea that is my thought with Geno. Even though the Jets would never admit that they were looking past Tampa Bay. Do you think they did some prep for them maybe 2 weeks ago watching film from last season. I doubt the gameplan was solely developed starting Monday seeing as they've known since April/May that they would be playing NE on a short week.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I hope so man. I would really love for Geno to have that kind of success tonight. This team needs it.

12. lamont_jordan_rules

can't imagine Ridley being replaced even if he fumbles ... they have no-one else.

the seeing of what the other team should do could certainly go both ways also ... the pats could argue it gets them used to much of what rex will be bringing.

if our D-line busts through & wreaks havor up the middle more often than not ... we will win as long as Geno doesn't have more than 2 turnovers / big mistakes.