Week 17 very well could kill any chance at Trevor Lawrence

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jets-N-Terps, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

ATL has better personnel already in place. New GM and HC being equal, TL could learn from Matty Ice instead of being throw into the fire for a year. In fact, sitting on the bench for a year just might be what TL needs. No way is he gonna sit for a year behind..... Flacco? Nobody cares about "promises". Its not what you say, but what you do that matters and how long you take to do it.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At some positions, yes Atlanta is better. Not at LT or at Q. Williams position, and probably not at slot WR. If you were a hotshot young QB, would you want to waste a year of your career sitting on the bench? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't sign with a team that planned for me to sit on the bench for a year or two.

Exactly, if he signs with the Jets he is the day one starter, and I'm certain that's what he wants.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A Week 17 win murders our chances of getting Lawrence.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yes for millions of dollars i would

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

5. Cman68

What is nonsense is your own stubborness. JD and the new HC may have ZERO history, but the team and the organization overall DOES HAVE REALLY FUCKED UP HSITORY. Especially when it comes to QB's. Everyone on earth knows this including YOU.

Again, you can talk about clean slate all you want because its not YOUR career we're talking about here. If TL has halfway decent people advising him, Watching this team get crushed weekly will have a chilling effect if it hasn't already. Promises don't mean shit anymore. People need to see results, not promises. JD made promises to Sam too and look how that turned out.

There's no escaping the history of the NY Jets. You can fool yourself into thinking it won't matter but I have a feeling it does matter greatly. The recent history alone should make TL think twice. These are still the New York Jets. Owned and Operated by the Johnson Bros. A second class organization that can't get out of its own way. Until JD changes that and the results are evident, that perception of the Jets will remain. Unless of course one is a Homer..

#125 Cman68, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    ouchy likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's beyond irrational thinking. Rex Ryan and the 2009 and 2010 Jets going to back to back AFC Championship games means just as much as Adam Gase and the Jets winning 7 games in 2 seasons: 0. There will be a new Head Coach and that is who Lawrence will be dealing with, plus Joe Douglas continuing to build a roster around him.
    You are forgetting Minshew Mania is back baby! The Jags could finish (4-12)!!!! :D

REVISion, NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. Cman68

and if you could get those same millions somewhere else? Its not like the Jets have the only money in the league. Rookie cap being whatever it is, makes the money aspect moot. Its gonna come down to the best overall situation on and off the field. We keep getting crushed weekly, and you can bet those millions TL is watching..

8. Cman68

Actually, it does matter in that 2010 is a decade ago. BTW, both of those games were LOSSES so unless you really headed down Homer Rd. I wouldn't use that as an example. What will matter is what happened between 2010 and 2021. It will get looked at thoroughly although I'm sure you'd rather TL just look at 2020. Kinda like the difference between moving into a really bad house that needs extensive renovation OR a not so bad house that just needs some upgrades.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Atl has indicated they want to move on from Matt Ryan next year anyhow. They will have a new coach and probably a new QB

10. Cman68

Perfect situation for a young QB to come into.. Learning from Matt Ryan.. Not too shabby.

11. The Dark Knight

It doesn't work that way with sports teams. Why would Trevor Lawrence care what Rex Ryan or Adam Gase did? That is my point. And I brought up 09/10 because you would assume he would like to join those teams. They don't matter though and neither do the 2019 or 2020 Jets. Are you saying they are not his first choice? That is fine, but again not how the NFL draft works. Joe Burrow probably did not want to go to Cincinnati, but that is life. I could argue the Jets situation is much better for Lawrence than the Bengals one was for Burrow.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Dude no way, you go where you get paid in the NFL. Money is money, and thats exactly how most these guys see it. You think they care about these franchises? Its a business

REVISion likes this.
  13. Cman68

I have no doubt of that Zace. Money is just as green in NY as it is in JAX, DAL, ATL, CAR, etc... The situation matters just as much as the cash. Nobody wants to get their ass crushed weekly for a year or two or three. Not if there's an option to do otherwise. TL might still be on the young side to be super jaded by the NFL. No doubt down the road he'll be just as mercenary as all the rest of them.
    For now, I'm pretty sure he's looking at the situation trying to figure out if its the best option for him in 2020 or should he wait until 2021 or even force a trade. TL has options. More options at this point that the Jets as we need TL more than TL needs the Jets.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

True but I dont think they want Ryan starting next season. They may well make a play for TL or Fields but it will be to start on day 1. Ryan will likely be somewhere else unless they draft someone lower.

15. NCJetsfan

I know, but that won't be Lawrence's fault. Blaming him and firing him would be nuts, a totally irrational move. There's only so much a quality professional is going to do He could start Morgan as many here want, and Morgan could surprise and throw for 400 yards. The Jets could totally shut down NE's rushing attack and make Cam/Stidham have to beat them with his arm. A fluke play could happen that causes the Jets to win.

Fire Douglas and the Johnsons would be left to their own devices again, and I'm 100% certain that the next GM wouldn't be nearly as qualified or as good as Douglas, and the new HC wouldn't be worth a damn. We might get Lawrence then, but it would be a repeat of Jets history of horrific drafting and incompetent coaching. Even if the Johnsons somehow miraculously tried to hire the right candidates, do you really think any competent, well-qualified person would take the Jets job after the idiotic owners fired the best qualified, most-respected GM they've had in the history of their franchise after 1 1/2 years, and when he just had a very good draft?

As long as JD has the philosophy of building through the draft and drafts like he did this year, there will always be hope that he can find another QB who, may not seem as good as Lawrence, could turn out better, or at least enough to make us a perennial playoff team and get us a SB win or two. Firing JD would be a worse screw up than retaining Gase.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont think hes doing that at all and all indications are hed love the be the guy that brings this team another super bowl. Hes doesnt seem concerned about being drafted by the jets

Its so funny that even as fans we fall into this anti jets agenda.

Wtf is Jacksonville doing thats so much better? They had to fire people because they we fining players for dumb shit. Go to Minnesota? Theyre gonna have to blow that team up soon too. Honestly the jets are the best situation.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Oh, you better believe TL cares what Gase did. Especially if Chris keeps him around one more year. There's no way you can tell me TL hasn't watched a single Jet game this year. TL was a child during the Rex era, but was growing up between then and now. If he was a football fan, I'm sure he's heard of the 2011-2020 NYJ's. TL has choices and knows by now the Jets need him more than He needs the Jets. TL could roll the dice and sign with the Jets or not and try to force a trade. Its not like forcing a trade has never worked before for a DP. He could also simply stay in school and hope for a different 2021 situation draft wise. Point being, TL is not locked into coming out and playing for the Jets.

He still has choices..

18. NCJetsfan

No, sorry, but you're wrong. It has nothing to do with stubbornness and everything to do with logic and rational thought. I'm really shocked. I would have expected this line of reasoning/thinking from some other posters here, but not you. It doesn't matter that the organization has a really fucked up history. The Johnsons will still be here, but they aren't involved in the draft or in coaching. As long as JD gets to make the hire or have the major voice in the HC hire, that will be what shapes what happens with Lawrence and the Jets going forward, NOT what Bowles, Rex, Idzik, Mac, Mangini, Bradway, Tanny, or any other Jets' cretin has done. Those idiots and what they did and didn't do will have zero bearing on the future. There is no organizational "curse" that will mean a totally new regime will fuck it up because all the others have. That is defeatist, irrational thinking. If I thought like that, I would have already walked away from this team. Without hope, we have nothing. If you have no hope for the Jets' future, I can't understand why you haven't walked away already. You're just torturing yourself. You're expecting and wanting (demanding really) something that you yourself have already said isn't realistic or possible (all the holes can't be fixed). You've put yourself in a no-win situation.

You have said that you have no patience to wait for success. That's on you, not JD or the new HC. No GM or HC is perfect and is going to be able to fix this overnight even with Lawrence.

19. The Dark Knight

Gase is gone. 100%. The Jets are (0-13)! So he will mean nothing to him. Lawrence is not locked into playing for the Jets because there are 3 games left too. Anything can happen. I'll tell you what can't happen though: Him forcing his way to a good team. That would be ridiculous and a terrible look for him and the NFL. If the Jags or the Jets get the #1 pick, they likely will choose him, and he will go there. Neither are great situations, but you can turn around pretty quick in the NFL if you are managed correctly. The Jets have not been, as you keep saying, but hopefully they will be going forward. You need to think positive. I know the Jets have been draining to all of us, but there really is a chance that they are on the right track with Joe Douglas.

20. Cman68

I've long since stopped being a "Fanatic". I look at the Jets and I see dysfunction with a hefty side of ineptitude both on the field and in the owner's box. I don't get angry anymore when they lose. More like an apathetic response. Just another loss. Pass the gravy. Another thing I've long since rid myself of is faith in this organization. Until they prove they can get out of their own way, and the JD hire was a promising first step, I'll just see what the Jets show and up until now, its hasn't been much. If they win? Yay.. If they lose, yawn. Nothing changes in my day either way. I'll leave the faith stuff up to fans like you and TDK. I'm waay past that now firmly entrenched in "Show Me" mode. Until I see Gase gone in the headlines, I won't put anything past Chris Johnson to try and save face 0-13 or not. Gase is here until he's not whenever that is. Not holding my breath one way or the other.

Don't promise me shit. Show me the results and we'll deal with that. As Al Davis used to say.. "Just Win Baby".. Everything else is just yingyang..