Week 10: Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the big picture, why pick and choose?

Ryan at Jets - .479 and 4 - 2 in playoffs.

Jets after Ryan - .404 and no playoffs.

Ryan at Buffalo - .484.

Buffalo after Ryan - .423 and one playoff loss.

That's how I look at it; the current state of affairs and all the rookies, promises and appearances don't mean crap and are just a bonus for him.

Now you get to demonstrate how both teams are currently "far better off without Rex."

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can't do a big picture with Rex, because it includes 2009-11 with the Jets. The 2014 version of Rex that the Jets dumped was horrible and needed to go. Now it turns out his replacement is not the answer either, but that does not excuse the fact Rex needed to be fired. The Jets went from (4-12) with Rex to (10-6) with Bowles.

I care less about him with the Bills, but he had a decent squad that went (8-8) and (7-9) with him, then immediately after he was replaced by McDermott the Bills went (9-7) and made the playoffs. Both teams instantly became better without him.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Bills are saying Allen is day to day and MIGHT play this weekend. Darnold vs Allen would add some excitement to what is otherwise a shit game.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A dashboard game is a game in which you have some tickets sitting on the dashboard of your car. You park your car at,say a mall, and when you come back your window’s busted out and there are more tickets.

twown, Wahoo, ConcordeChops and 6 others like this.
  5. Ralebird

You continue to try to break things down into little, easy to digest morsels, not by an entire body of work. Why not go month by month or week by week if you think it can prove the point you're trying to make? Because morsels don't count in the NFL? I have used everything he did with each team and everything they've done since his departure - it could not be more clear.

You keep bring up the name Bowles, not me - this is the first I used it, and only in response. If each team is better off since they got rid of Ryan, why have they had a worse record? Isn't that why the games are played? That's why Rex Ryan should be chuckling while watching the debacle coming this weekend.

6. The Dark Knight

Rex will be chuckling while watching. That is just the kind of guy he is. I should have factored that in at the beginning. I still say both teams are better off without him though and I am sure most people agree, despite your W/L statistics.

7. Ralebird

It is very clear you don't like Rex Ryan but you have done nothing to illustrate why you keep saying the Jets and Bills are better off without him. I doubt he'll be gloating, but chuckling is acceptable.

8. The Dark Knight

Correct. Not a fan of Rex. However, this is a better conversation than actually discussing the Bills-Jets game on Sunday. With the Jets, Rex had to go after 2014. Probably should have been fired after 2012, but his 2009-11 seasons allowed him 2013. Then in 2013 he went (8-8) with Geno, so I get giving him 2014. After that, he had to be fired. Doesn't really matter how the team did after, he still had to go. So are the Jets better off without him? I think so. He was not the answer. Now I think it is safe to confirm Bowles is also not the answer. So they unfortunately need to start all over again in 2019.

Buffalo might be a better argument. Going (8-8) then (7-9) isn't great, but McDermott going (9-7) and now (2-7) is not much better. I would rather have McDermott.

9. Ralebird

You continue to break down a body of work into little segments and lean on some while dismissing others - that does nothing to disprove my point that Ryan did a better job at the Jets than has been done since he was replaced. Ditto at the Bills.

Neither team is better with Ryan's replacements, they are both worse. He gets to chuckle.

Notice that this is done entirely objectively, without emotion or superfluous subjective input, it is done totally reliant on facts.

Now, I will diverge into opinion - I don't know about the Bills but my belief is that the Jets would have been more successful, on the whole, from 2015 to the present with Rex Ryan remaining as the head coach than the path they chose to take.

10. The Dark Knight

I loved 2009 and 2010 with Rex. 4 playoff wins, 2 AFC Championship Game appearances. I even mostly enjoyed 2011. Then it all fell apart. To the point that Rex had to go. That is all I am saying. Now would Rex have done better than Bowles' (10-6), (5-11), (5-11), and current (3-6)? Hard to know. Too many factors, but it would be hard to do worse. I guess I will re-word it and say the Jets were better off going in a different direction than Rex. They just chose the wrong one.

11. Ralebird

So, bottom line, Rex Ryan gets to chuckle, right?

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This game will be won by the Bills 3 zip

Woody and Chris call immediate press conference and.....

13. The Dark Knight

In the end, yes, after all our posts: Rex Ryan gets to chuckle. :D:)

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Ralebird

And the rest of us can cry.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Jets 31 Bills 17

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Really if I knew this is what would follow Ryan, I would've kept Ryan.

Ryan is clownish and his act wore thing...but as a pure coach who prepared his team, understanding of basic football strategy, as a guy who got his message across and players respected, Rex did it better than Bowles. Not saying Rex didn't have his faults he had plenty. But we were so eager to turn the page from Ryan that we ended up with somebody worse.

Frankly I didn't think Ryan did all that bad a job in Buffalo either. And I don't see JAG McDermott as anything special. Every so often Ryan could pull some amazing unexpected gameplan out of his ass and we'd get an upset. Bowles NEVER does that. Ever. All we do is underachieve under him. With Rex we overachieved at times.

33-14 Jets.

Ralebird, Watkin and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

How depressing! I didn't expect the Jets to have a winning season, but it appears the team is getting worse instead of better. You can only have so much expectations on the draft, salary cap, and everything else that seems the Jets should get better.

The AFC East is a total joke and when the Patriots go through their rebuild for another QB, the AFC East may have a division winner with a losing record!

Who can save the Jets? Sure get rid of Bowles, but who is the next victim? May God have mercy on this franchise.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

There is no god

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm reminded of the scene in M*A*S*H where Father Mulcahy is talking to a soldier who claims to be Jesus Christ. Mulcahy asks him "Does God answer all prayers?", and the soldier solemnly replies "Yes. Sometimes the answer is no."

TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Peterman can't throw to the outside. Its an easy interception. A smart coach stacks the box and the middle of the field and dares him to throw it outside the numbers. The Jets don't have a smart coach though. Anything can happen I guess on Sunday. I hope we lose so Bowles gets canned though