Week 1 vs Panthers Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Sep 13, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Studs, Duds, and Mehs.

There are a lot of people that for different reasons could be ranked as a stud or dud so I created a third category, the "Meh". That way only the clear studs or duds are recognized.

STUDS
    Zach Wilson - He played very well considering he had bad protection and no running game. His movement in the pocket was great and necessary to prevent even more sacks. Made a few bad decisions and throws but nothing out of the ordinary for a first start. Especially with the lack of help. Bounced back from adversity well and every good thing we did on offense was because of him. He basically pulled that first TD pass out of thin air by improvising. IMO he is already better than Sam. Hopefully we don't ruin his head or his health too much this season.

Matt Ammendola - We didn't try a FG or EP but Ammendola's punting saved a potential bad situation. Honestly, I didn't even notice a lot of difference between him and Mann's punting. Kept the field position battle close while playing a position he wasn't signed for.

Corey Davis - Davis was Zach's most reliable target and he showed and that he could make plays as the #1. Was the only WR getting open with any regularity. 5 catches for 97 yards and two TDs makes him a stud this week.

DUDS
    Quinnen Williams - The guy we needed to show up the most was a ghost. By the second quarter they had stopped doubling him on most plays and he was still handled one on one, often by Pat Elefin. He's been out since week 13 of last season so I gotta believe he is a little out of shape, or rusty, or both. Hopefully his foot isn't still bothering him. Our supposed best player was fairly useless yesterday, and that needs to improve going forward. Dud.

Mekhi Becton - We finally saw what we'd been hearing about in camp. Boom or bust. Becton was a veritable turnstyle at LT. Was giving up pressures on nearly every drop back. Finally got hurt, which seems to happen to him whenever he starts getting beat. Nobody can deny once we moved Fant over to LT things got a lot more stable. The only explanation is that he came into camp too heavy and his already limited athleticism tanked. I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm kinda glad he isn't starting next week. Maybe he will trim down on IR.

Elijah Moore - More had a tough game that I'm going to chalk up to missing camp. We saw other highly drafted WRs get their drops over with in preseason and Moore didn't get that chance. Dropping that deep pass was a killer early in the game. Carolina was his mulligan but he needs to get past that. He did have a nice catch downfield on a great route that was called back because Moses lined up wrong. However, I expect better days from him because 1 catch for -2 yards, with two drops = dud.

MEH
    AVT - Vera-Tucker had ups and downs. There were some plays he got slammed and some others where he looked like a brick wall. Another player missing a lot of camp who gets the rust excuse, for now. Also, the line needing time to gel excuse. There were some signs he could become a solid gaurd but were going to need to see some improvement.

Marcus Maye - Got beat a few times and made a few good plays. Also, made a few big hits which was nice to see. (Anyone see his hit in the first quarter?) Seemed like the only DB who knew what he was doing most of the time.

Johnathon Franklin Meyers - Had some good pressures and got a sack. Also, was a liability against edge runs. If the middle of our d-line would have done their job JFM coulda been on the studs list. Not a stud game but a decent game and hopefully something to build on.

Braxton Berrios - Made some nice catches and ran some nice routes. Not enough to be a stud but he showed why we got him for depth. Decent game.

RBs - Didn't do much. Colemen was often stuffed as was Carter. Carter did have a nice power run on third down to pick up the first after being hit in the backfield, and he made a nice catch. He sometimes flashes that he can be special, but not enough yet. Just like last season it really feels like Ty Johnson should be the starter.

TEs - They proved to be decent outlet receivers, though none of them can YAC too well. Their blocking was hit and miss from play to play. Honestly, I kinda feel like Yeboah should be our route running TE.

LBs - This group was close to creating some duds. I know CMC is a great runner but I'm not feeling this saftey to LB transition. I get that we want speed but these guys aren't true LBs and don't really play like LBs. Nasrilildeen is somewhat servicable but in limited action Sherwood is a liability, just like in preseason. Mosley looked very average with this group. It will be better when we can just get fast true LBs.

CBs - Hit and miss. Made some good plays and some bad ones. If Sam was more accurate they would have been duds. A good QB is going to land some of them on the duds list a lot this season. Carter is showing some promise.

That my take. On to the Patsies.

EDIT - Sam Darnold - meh.
    Sam made some plays but he also missed a lot more. Aside from missing open guys in the endzone he missed a number of open guys in the second half that killed drives. He helped keep the game close. Carolina doesn't have the o-line he needs and they are not going to be the the answer for him. He'll be a backup by next season.

#1 ouchy, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    REVISion, rscherwin and bicketybam like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

gotta disagree wtih a lot here.

zach wasn't a stud. he wasn't a dud either but he did miss on a lot of throws and overall didn't play well. The o-line didn't help neither did drops but zach missed on many throws. seemed liek 1st game jitters though

becton wasn't a dud either. we was our highest graded pass protector of the game. all the pressure came form inside. GVR and mcgovern were awful and we failed to pick up stunts and the RBs missed assignments on blitzers. AVT was also bad in pass protection but great in run blocking. all the pressure came up the middle or by missed assingments by RBs on blitzers. Becton only got beat once in pass protection

Maye didn't get beat, he was pretty quiet all game and just did his job. nothing great but nothign bad, wasn't a meh.

JFM was our best defensive player by far in the game (well him and foley) they are both studs.

How is berrios a meh? he's our 5th/6th WR and made quite a few great plays, can't ask for more. he wasn't a stud but sure as hell wasn't a meh. had a solid game

Not sure how you can call sherwood a liablity. he barely played. got injured in the 1st quarter.

Cbs played great. espcially echols and hall and carter. guidry was solid too. they were a pleasant surprise

IDFjet likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well we disagree.

4. GasedAndConfused

disagree on the fact you called a player a liability who didn't even play?

ouchy likes this.
  5. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Well said. Great analysis.

ouchy likes this.
  6. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

You left out kudos to our brand shiny new CS who continued the legacy of the last regime. 4th & 1 after a time out run stuffed up the middle. If that is not straight out of the Adam Gase playbook, I don't know what it. Burying our best WR limiting him to 2 plays all game long. If anyone in Florham Park thinks Vyncent Smith should play over Mims, they need to be fired immediately. Play calling was again hideous, with zero imagination, constantly running on 1st down every series for 1 yard, not many QB sprint out or RPO plays with a mobile QB, zero pass rush on D, just hideous. The first half was the telling point to me. Up 16-0, Carolina got lazy and stopped playing which allowed us to make a few plays in garbage time. As soon as Sam ran that easy TD to make it 13-0, we were never winning that game. Now I can root for Sam to succeed in Carolina after yesterday. Hope he does well, always liked him and wish we would have built around him correctly, although it isn't looking like we are building correctly around Zach. You bet your collective asses Sam is glad to be gone from here, he is just too classy to day it.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Gotta agree. I said it in the off season everyone was a little TOO excited about Lafleur. He's a first time OC. We're all hoping for the best but he's learning as well and yesterday didn't not inspire much confidence. Panthers consistently got pressure up the middle and we kept running to the middle and right (maybe run behind Becton/AVT???) and keeping Wilson in the pocket.
    I wondered why they wouldn't move the pocket and roll him out which is what I said every game with Gase :eek::eek::eek:

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Now Mims is our best WR? When did that happen?

REVISion likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

you are not going to address sherwood that you called a liability somehow even though he got knocked out in the 1st quarter and never returned?

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Has anyone ever done a Duds and Studs thread? Would that be like jacking off with your left hand? Literally speaking?

ouchy likes this.