Week 1 | Game Observations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Sep 13, 2015.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Totally agree DB. Totally agree. The loss of Mauldin for however long is quietly a big one. There was a reason....besides the score....that he was out there. Old saying you cant teach speed is holding very true for the linebacking crew and Bowles will have to be creative against qb's that will tuck and run. Wouldn't surprise me to see 3 safeties on the field against a Qb that will take off. Nothing worse then a 3rd and long first down scramble by a Qb. The blowout hid that real potential with those linebackers. I really expect to to see 1 or 2 of them pulled on passing downs.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I get your point, jay, but let's see what Reilly might do.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Wow.. You don't understand football with a comment like that... Ha

You are clearly somebody trying to act like they know their shit, really though, you are talking out of your ass right now.

You are being called out on a clear, derpa derp moment for you, so now you are trying to deflect.

Trust me man, I have no desire debating something that I know is right, with someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Sigh.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I think you really should put the booze down. Read the comment Snacks made, or watch some football. Maybe even use common sense, you don't even have to watch football to figure that one out. Either of those 3 options are acceptable.

5. IIMeanDeanII

Dude..

Rex Ryan has his Dline read and react, they are responsible for two gaps most of the time in his defense.

Bowles has his lineman focus on a one gap assignment, which means the blunt of the work or reads is dependant on the linebackers, not the dline.

Again, you don't know what your even talking about. You sound uneducated. Stop talking out of your ass.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. DaBallhawk

You seem very slow so I'll just ask you directly, where do you get that information from. Just give me your source.

7. IIMeanDeanII

Well, you could use your eyes, that's a good one.

You could probably just Google the shit too.

It's hilarious you think I'm slow, when you and I both know your completley full of shit. You are absolutely talking out of your ass right now.

I don't know if you are trying to bluff me, hoping I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm very sure of what I'm talking about.

You on the other hand are trying so hard to make it seem like you know your shit, trying to make it sound like I "need" a source because I'm "slow", when really you are just digging for the truth because you honestly have no clue what your talking about.

You are literally spewing shit based on some type of bullshit you've clearly read somewhere, instead of fully understanding what a two gap 3-4 even is, I'm convinced you have no idea what a two gap scheme even means, I don't even think you know how many gaps there is or how it even works, let alone knowing what kind of defense RR runs.

Nice try though.

I'm too smart for that dumb shit mayne.

#187 IIMeanDeanII, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. DaBallhawk

Fixed that for you. There's nothing to further discuss here. Rex did not and he doesn't run a traditional 3-4. He's expecting production out of his linemen. Not the NT, but the DE's. Unless you're trying to say that Mo and Sheldon were asked to take on blockers here (yet miraculously finished with around 10 sacks) in order to free up our hyper athletic outside linebackers in Pace and Coples to make sure those guys make plays behind the line. Silliness. Who'd be stupid enough to ask talented pass rushers like Sheldon, Mario Willliams, Dareus, Mo etc. to take on blockers and taking themselves out of the game so that the linebackers can make plays. You want the exact opposite, to make sure they get one on ones to make plays and to make use of their ability to penetrate and shoot the gaps. Nevermind, we're done here.

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Rex has always run a two gap system.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

Your wrong.

You are talking out of your ass.

I'm not going to continue to enable the stupid spewing from you right now.

Go do some fucking research at the very least before you start making posts that make you sound uneducated as fuck.

Not everyone on this board is clueless mam, some of us actually know what we are talking about.

You should choose your battles more wisely, otherwise you end up in a situation like this where you are constantly making yourself look like someone who isn't a credible poster.

You are not a credible person because you clearly are wrong and you refuse to accept it, only continue to make yourself look worse.

I'm done, hopefully you secretly learn something today and don't continue to be that type of uneducated poster.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Could be....I'm with you on that BB. The speed of the current starters will be a problem in 2 different areas. First is with any Qb who has any ability to take off. Seems minor but in sure people scouting jets week 1 took note on how both qb's had huge open fields. For the Brady types....that would be used with his arm.

Hey.....the bottom line is if that's the jets pass rush we saw...its a problem. I highly doubt it is. For some odd reason I have a ton of confidence that this coaching staff will make the adjustment whether its Reilly or scheme.

Luck will tuck and go if there is room....so we will get a feel for the change this Monday. As great as that was against the Browns...the open field and our speed at lb is a concern.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rex has run a defense that shifted a lot between 2-gap and 1-gap most of the time. Not strictly 2-gap, but anyone who says he's never run 2-gap is a twit.

88toon, NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yup

and Yup.

from Cimini:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...-change-could-lead-to-more-big-plays-for-jets

"All 3-4 defenses aren't created equal: The Jets have played a 3-4 base since 2006, when Eric Mangini replaced Herm Edwards, but the current scheme is different from the previous two incarnations. Under Todd Bowles, they will use eight-man spacing in the box, meaning it's a one-gap system. Translation: Each of the eight players, including a safety, is responsible for only one gap. Rex Ryan did things a little different, often employing seven-man spacing and a two-gap system, according to players. Ryan actually used a hybrid, mixing both concepts, whereas Mangini ran an old-school 3-4, a pure two-gap scheme.

The new approach hasn't generated much buzz outside the team -- granted, it's kind of technical -- but I can tell you this: The players love the Bowles way. Linebacker Demario Davis told me, "It allows you to run free a lot more, play a little faster because you don't have to worry about playing two gaps. You have one gap. It opens you up to play a lot faster."

Linebacker David Harris took it a step further, predicting the change will be most noticeable on the defensive line. He said, "Guys like Mo (Wilkerson) and Sheldon (Richardson) can come off the ball. I think you'll see a lot of TFLs" -- meaning tackles for loss.

The downside to Bowles' system is that it leaves the cornerbacks in single coverage, but that's why they spent big bucks on Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. You can't play the system without corners who can play press-man coverage."

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Indeed. Even during many of the later Westhoff years, our punting was mediocre.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

God I love Dave.

In all seriousness I'm really surprised more people aren't talking about Calvin Pryor. The man tore it up. Before everyone jumps on me, I know this game could be outlier, and he has a lot of bad tape from last year, but Pryor played at a pro bowl level Sunday. 10 tackles and a forced fumble inches from the goal line?

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm really looking forward to a bye week where a win the week before doesn't guarantee a loss the week after.

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

2 gapping is not that simple. It means that a player doesn't necessarily penetrate, but ideally stands up a blocker, maintaining enough distance between himself and that blocker so that he may shed the block in either direction. When the ball carrier tries to advance through one of his assigned gaps, he is preferably the one to make the tackle. Mo is very good at this, because his size allows him to stand up blockers, his long arms allow him to keep blockers at a distance, and his athletecism allows him to shed the blocks at the right moment to make the tackle. This was frequently his responsibility on pass plays on first and second down as well: maintaining 2 gaps when the play breaks down so the quarterback cannot scramble.

Mo could also make the decision to shed the block and try and rush the passer. Once third down obvious passing situations occur, he would probably pin his ears back as they say, and use his explosiveness to go straight for the passer. This also all obviously depends on the style of offense you are playing against as well.

One of the ways to fight against a good 2 gapper is to double team him, something that often happens to Mo. If this happens, it is the linebacker's job to make a play. Or sometimes the safety.

Back with less athletic lineman like Mike DeVito, and older Marques Douglas, and older Shaun Ellis, Rex didn't rely on as much disruption from his line, and sent Bart Scott, David Harris, and various defensive backs flying into the backfield to make tackles. You can say what you want about Rex, but he did change up stylistically a bit as his personnel changed.

I guarantee you that we will see some two gapping in this system, but apparently less than in the past.

abyzmul and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Rex may know D but he has the emotions of a child

19. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

Cro's already back on the practice field. I'm hoping they let Marcus get more reps as the 2nd CB, but I'm glad to know that Cro's good to go.