We Still Have a Good Shot

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Nov 29, 2009.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You have:
    1. Colts 11-0
    2. Bengals 8-3
    3. Chargers 8-3
    4. Patriots 7-3
    5. Denver 7-4
    6. Baltimore 6-5
    7. Jacksonville 6-5
    8. Pittsburgh 6-5
    9. Miami 5-6
    10. Houston 5-6
    11. Jets 5-6
    12. Tennessee 5-6

That is 8 teams fighting for 2 spots. Denver's win over the Giants was huge as they have the 1 game cushion at #5 plus a decent schedule down the stretch with the Colts and Eagles the only tough ones. They also have the Chiefs twice and the Raiders. That should get them to 10-6 even with losses to Philly and Indy. So it might be 7 teams fighting for one spot. Not good odds for Gang Green or any of the 5-6 teams.

2. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

the losses to miami and the jags is what hurt our chances of the playoff. even one win over miami and the win over the jags has us at 7-4 and tied for the 5th seed and possibly the division. it is just one of those years where the breaks just havnt gone our way. sometimes there is just nothing you can do about it.

i still have hope but i think with miami having the tie breaker over us almost certainly seals the deal on playoff hopes. unless of course they have a season collapse. :finssuck:

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Miami is not going to win out so a tie-breaker with them means nothing. They are done. If we are seriously talking about playoffs we have to assume the Jets win out. If that happens, Miami tie-breaker won't matter. You are right though, the Phins,Bills and Jags games were playoff killers.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We have a better shot at the division than the wild card right now. We're only 1.5 games back on New England and weirder things have happened in the past. I'm rooting hard for the Saints tomorrow night but we're going to have to win the division outright on record, I'm pretty sure we're fucked when it comes to tie-breakers.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's my thinking too but the issue is even with that 1.5 game lead they would own the tie break over us based on division record. Our (assuming we beat Buffalo) 2-4 division record won't get it done. The losses to Miami and Buffalo at home were killer. It sucks to think about it but this team is a holding penalty on Hartsock and a great day by Ted Ginn from being 7-4. Considering we have a rookie coach and a 22 year old QB I'd say that's not bad. While I don't think we win out if we finish 7-9 that's what I was expecting and I would be happy. For me the final 5 games need to be complete games by all 3 units and what happens, happens.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why isn't this thread in the Cesspool? I'm usually very optimistic while taking a dump but I still flush.

I have a good shot to get out of the Wallmart parking lot without having an accident. I have almost no shot at winning the lottery.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i am shocked that as of right now we sit one game back of a wild card spot. 6-5 holds the last seed - of course there are like 8 teams going for that spot so you really can't look ahead. We win Thursday and things can be a little exciting in December - but they have to win Thursday. DR needs to shut a resurgent TO down, no turnovers, and control the clock.

Didn't think I would be rooting that much this week, but another week to hope as a Jets fan is a good thing.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

What does this even mean?

9. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I'm not sure, but it was hilarious :rofl:

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

putting our title run into perspective:

if you can't see us winning out against scrubs during the regular season, then what's the point of hoping we sneak in as the 6th seed, having to win out against the best teams on the road?

any team that sneaks in as #6 has to win out to kiss the ring.

so...why not us against scrubs during the regular season?

the challenge we have right now is far less daunting the the challange faced by any #6 seed.

11. skorol75

skorol75 New Member

Actually, what I stated was the obvious, which is every QB had some receiver not make a critical play at some point, so let's not make excuses for that fumble at 1 yard line. There is nothing wrong with this statement. The fact you used it as an excuse not to read valid arguments is very telling though.

Most losses we had were games we could have won if we had better play at QB. Look at NE-Indy game. Yes, Indy defense allowed lots of points, but Manning got a shot at the end and delivered a W. Or even Jacksonville game against us. If Jags lost, it would not be on their QB. Yet he delivered on that final drive. Sanchez didn't deliver in the same situation in second game against Miami. And in that Jags game if he had half decent play all game, we would be up by more than 3 points.

What you fail to grasp is that in every game defense or special teams or some player is not going to play well. That includes the QB. But there are too many cases where Sanchez actually had a chance to win a game for us, and he didn't. Stats don't lie. There is a reason he is the worst rated starter in NFL.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets have a pretty good shot at .500 and always did.

13. skorol75

skorol75 New Member

He's been less than that against Jags (that's not even 1 of 3 games he simply gave away). If he were decent there and did just a little better against Bills, all of the sudden we are in play-offs. QB's job is to win games. We have top defense and rushing to aid him. And just because he did not do completely horrible in every game does not mean he gave the team best chance to win.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets won yesterday because they played a team that turned the ball over more than they did, which is a rarity this year, for sure. Up 7 points before our Color Code Qb took the field. And of course Revis outplayed Smith.

And that means the Jets will win out? I don't think so.

Still, a win was great. Losing sucks. But I will be more interested in seeing improvement here and there on the team including the CS than in holding out mathematical hope for a wild card slot.

Ftr Big Ben will be back, and the Steelers will be, too, the Jags hold the tie breaker, and really who has the better football team right now, Ravens or Jets? Denver's win was huge, they are in the driver's seat.

Don't see where the Jets fit in there at all.

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

I know. I know. The jets are 5-6 and the world has to fall apart for them to make the playoffs. I know that ... so dont bother. I also know "one game at a time" etc. But -- just in case .... here is who we are rooting for this week. (Not that promising considering that we are rooting for Oak, Kc and Det)

jets over Buffs (obviously)

AND

Oakland over Pitt
    KC over Denver
    Det over Cinci
    NE over Miami (I think)
    Indy over Tenn
    Hou over Jax
    GB over Balt

#95 steviep, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While that would be nice, Buffalo jsut wipped the hell out of a Miami team that has beat us twice and they have beat us themselves. This is no gimmie game. In fact, we have already lost most of those this year. I'm sticking to a one game at a time plan and letting the playoffs work them selves out at this point.

17. steviep

steviep Active Member

Going into this season -- I thought -- 6-6 with Tampa, Atlanta, Cincy and Indy left -- Id take it.

9-7 probably wont be good enough anyway...

18. Jam.

Jam. Banned

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

man, I admire the optimism, but some of you guys are gluttons for punishment...... while I always hope for a JETS victory, thinking they have a "good shot" at the playoffs after watching the past month & a half of football is, well, umm, yeah ........ :breakdance:

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hopefully we don't turn the ball over 6 times against buffalo like we did last time. playoffs are very unlikely. Lets just beat the bills and take it from there.