We should NOT replace Abe with our #4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Al Dorow, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I never predicted mangold to be a HOF center nor Williams a probowler DE, but to write them off this early is ridiculous. They've produced in college and done nothing to indicate they can't produce in the nfl, thats all you can ask for.....its just b/c he's a darksider so that means whomever we draft automatically makes us worse.

Raj just needs to step out of the shadows sometimes. ME? I like to save my pessimism when I know the season is a wash instead of predicting as such before we play a down.

To each his own....i guess... :beer:

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Abe was a 4-3 Defensive End....

WHY would we even want to replace that?

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I can understand your feelings Al (I was very against Andre Johnson at #4 the year they lost Coles), but I have to disagree here. As a lot have mentioned in this thread, in a 3-4 D Mario Williams would not be replacing John Abraham since they play different positions in that scheme.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Hey, you're the guy saying take the best player available (regardless of team needs) PERIOD. :breakdance:

My post had nothing to do about which team you root for. :wink:

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The only way I can rationalize this assesment is that Mr. Al Dorow doesn't want Mario because he'd be pegged to be Abraham, or be compared to him every-which-way, if he doesn't do so well, then it'll be constant "See? Should of kept Abraham instead."...

And so on and so on. Pretty much, if Mario's taken, then everything he does, Abraham will be in that sentence...

6. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

You're normally a decent poster and all, but you have to be kidding here, trying to sneak a dud post by or something.

7. Mantana Soss

You're not taking time into consideration. Mangold, the highest ranking center in quite a while, may not be as good as Mawae year one, but he has about 12 more years of life in him than Kevin does, as well as the potential to be just as skilled.

Same thing with Abraham to a lesser degree. Williams is the better prospect coming out, There is a reason he is top 5 and Abraham was 13. The higher potential player, six years younger.

8. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

dumbest thing I ever heard! Abe does not fit the 3-4 #1,#2 he can't defend the run even a lick! By all accounts,Williams is a stud at both and his size lets him play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. It would be awesome if he fell to #4, we should grab him in a second.By the way, hopefully Maroney is there at 29!

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Not kidding. By all accounts I have seen he is viewed as faster. I was watching ESPN before and they were showing clips of him. He is sickfast.

Don't get me wrong. I was always a huge Abe fan. I defended him here until after he was already introduced as the newest member of the Falcons. I would have still loved to have him here. Mario has the physical traits, and raw talent to be at least as good Abe.

But then again, maybe I am just postwhoring, you never know :up:

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If anyone around here gives reasons why they feel the way the feel...and doesnt just blurt out "MW AT #4 WOULD SUCK", I totally agree with everything you said Duke.

Whether you agree with Als logic or not, it gives you something to think about..unlike some threads around here.

It could easliy be said that if the Jets draft MW, they feel he is a better player and would cost the team less money..and they could be doing it for three reasons.

1. They are drafting the best player available.

2. They are filling a need.

3. Both.

Because of those reasons, whether you agree or disagree...the thread makes you think about it.

Al has even admitted he doesnt know if he agrees with the logic...but its brought 3 pages worth of posts.

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Sorry.

I assumed that being on the GANG GREEN Message board and the fact that we both have Jets in our names was a dead give away....

I'll type slower for now on. :up:

#51 Jet Blue, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  12. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Agreed. I have been reading this board for a couple years now and have finally started to feel that this franchise is in capable hands. Therefore I support a multitude of players that this new organization deem worthy to select at the 4 spot, whether it be a blue-chip offensive line prospect, big-time proven (on the college level) quarterback from a winning program, or a gunslinger with a big arm in the Brett Favre mold.

STill, I feel Super Mario makes the most sense out of all of them. Give Mangini that elite DE to fit with Vilma as the two key pieces of the defense and team up with D-rob and Ellis for many years to come. To say that we should pass up on Mario because some feel that we didn't get enough for Abe would be ridiculous, especially if Mario has a career similiar to Julius Peppers.....

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lets not replace penny or ramsey with a qb

lets not replace fabini or mawae

works pretty well doesnt it?

mario williams is not john abraham, and is ranked a top 5 prospect for a reason.

i understand the point of the thread though. but i just disagree

14. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Apparently you DON'T understand the point of the thread. Mawae and Fabini are old timers that we LET WALK. Not the same as giving up possibly the best pass rusher in the league for a #29 pick. We GET a #29 pick for this talent, but then we use our #4 to replace him. That's the short end of the deal in my book.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I'm not sure typing slower will help you in reading others posts, but knock yourself out. :wink:

16. Mantana Soss

Williams is fast FOR HIS SIZE. Abraham is fast, period. Mario was clocked around 4.66 - I can't see Abraham running any slower than 4.5-4.6

17. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

I kind of agree--- I don;t think we need to draft an end at 29, but the rest I agree with. It makes no sence to get rid of Abe-- a top 5 DE in the league- and replace him with another player you will have to pay boatloads to. We could only hope Williams turns out to be as good as Abe. that said, we had to trade him-- too much $$ and not a good fit in the system unless you feel like paying a LB top DE money.

18. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Thats a great point-- but why did we spend 10 million on von olehoffen? If you get Williams, you have to assume he will start in his first year. Then Von Olehoffen would be a VERY overpaid 36 year old backup, who's cap dollars could have been spent on another one of our 28 holes.

19. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

You can never call a rookie an upgrade over a probowl player.

20. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

No, but we have Chad Pennington-- he is an ELITE QUARTERBACK!! He came BACK IN and played hurt in the jacksonville game and almost pulled out. He is a smart, hard working Character guy who puts on his blue collar shirt, and fills his lunch pail with meat and potatoes. He is a true leader, and is a top 3 Quarterback in the NFL, right behind Manning and Brady. He is not injury prone, we just had no protection. He also has a Rocket arm, and very average size ears. The quart of heroine I just heated up and drank has nothing to do with this post. These are just the facts.