We now need to go out and get a capable backup Qb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets4848, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That does nothing to solve the problem of the Jets needing a capable backup QB - they do. I don't believe that need is fulfilled by either Boyle or Wilson. The Jets may just be rolling the dice on the availability of someone capable of stepping in, and probably over the hill, if Rodgers misses games.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nonsense. You just don't get it, and I'm not going to waste any more of my time or energy trying to explain it to you. You're just being obtuse to fit your agenda.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Do you have any suggestions?

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I still think Wilson can be salvaged. Let him sit behind Rodgers for these two years. I saw some film of Wilson and he made some great throws. I blame his lack of development on the moron OC LeFleur. Now let's see what Hackett can do with him.

5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Because there's no debate. You really think Mike White is throwing that much with Breece and AVT in the game. Zach would have throw 5 INTs per game if he threw that many attempts and we all know it. See for yourself.

Mike White attempts per game last season
    SEA: 46 (50% comp, 2 ints)
    BUF: 44 (61%)
    MIN: 57 (54%, 2 ints)
    CHI: 28 (78%)

Zach Wilson attempts per game last season when throwing more than White with No Breece or AVT.
    DET: 35 (50% comp, 1 ints)
    PIT: 41 (50% comp, 3 ints)
    NE: 36 (50% comp, 2 ints)

The fact is MW never played with Breece and AVT who were playing All-Pro levels early in the season. If he did, his attempts would have been lower and the offensive attack more balanced like it was in the Chicago gameplan.

There's no obtuse agenda - it's plain facts. Zach Wilson sucks and if we were the Rams or Eagles he'd be gone. Clear examples of recent teams who jettison their "franchise" QB and corrected getting caught in the sunken cost fallacy. Surprisingly both won Super Bowls recently too. You know why because you're better off moving from a sunk cost even at the sacrifice of cap implications. Rams knew Goff sucked even if he took them to the Super Bowl and they cut bait immediately and took the dead cap hit to get a better QB.

Mike White was the better backup QB and will probably have a better career long-term than Zach. Rodgers with MW at the #2 - this entire thread wouldn't even exist.

There's like 1% chance Wilson becomes an elite QB because playing the most difficult position in all of professional sports - there's no light switch that turns on where you suddenly go from sucking that bad to pretty darn good. His likely upside is like where Darnold is now and absolute upside would be like a Goff or Geno. What's the point of hoping for that just to save money we can easily recoup with a Davis trade or release. And i like Davis alot but tough decisions must be made.

Zach will be pretty darn awful again against this 2023 schedule.

JD should have re-signed MW, traded Davis and moved/cut Zach. If Rodgers gets hurt, and Zach has to play this year - it would have been the biggest mistake of the offseason.

#105 BrooklynJetsFan, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

At this point, already paying three guys, it probably makes sense to just wing it until a decision is forced if Rodgers gets knocked out for more than a game or two. Then you go to the rolodex and grab a has been who has experience at a higher level of success than what you have. That doesn't mean Flacco necessarily but there are always guys in that category waiting for their phone to ring. Since he was here before, Bridgewater comes to mind or somebody signed to a team now that will be cut before the season starts.

What about you?

KingRoach likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I've mentioned three in this thread... Bridgewater was one.

Carson Wentz and Alex McCough were the other two.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There is a potential Hall of Famer out there...

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I like Teddy B.... but I think he just got hurt taking out the trash this morning...