We need 2 back sets, tight formations, and turn Bell loose

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is really our only option to succeed on offense. We need to two back sets so one can block for the other on running plays and protect on pass plays.

We need tight, big formations up front. I don't care if we have to go 6 lineman. Heck start developing a FB if necessary. Even of we have to convert someone to FB. There should rarely be 3 wideouts on the field.

With our talent level (not just on the line but our wideouts are barely above mediocre) this is our only option to succeed. Or we can stick to what we are doing an be on our 4th string QB by halftime next week.

We have all seen what Bell can do with minimal blocking. We turn him loose with help and we start moving the ball. He is a great RB and our offense should be running through him - and he should be getting a lot of help. He is a feature back so lets feature him the way he deserves. If nothing else our defense would thank us.

If I am wrong about this than what is a better plan for our offense?

cval likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I mentioned this last week as well.
    With Montgomery on this team along with Herndon suspended, how are we not running some 21 formation?
    Can move Montgomery all around in motion if needed to keep the defenses guessing.

ouchy likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk... I disagree on some of your points. Teams are stacking the box that's why its so hard to run. Spread them out with receivers and they have to at least honor that. If you play tight sets in response all it does it clog the middle of the field

With Enunwa out though, and Demaryius Thomas being damaged goods, WR#3 is a weakness. Good point on Montgomery. I'd give him more time, maybe he can fill that role as a hybrid RB/slot receiver

FJF, cval, Dierking and 1 other person like this.
  4. Exactly.

Plus the OL continues struggling to identify fronts & sorting out assignments pre snap. Thats the thing people are missing.Its not just the OL not blocking well..they flat out are missing assignments.Gase is conservative? Whats he supposed to run if guys are running free into the backfield right off the snap?

Spreading the field simplifies blocking assignments up front

FJF, chandler, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Montgomery hasn't done squat with the time he's had, and the idea of his blocking for Bell is a joke imo. If I put Montgomery in, it would be as a WR not as a RB. If I went with two RBs, Powell would be the 2nd as I think he's a better blocker and may be faster than Montgomery.

Unless the OL (particularly Beacham) starts playing better, I'm not sure that there is anything that would work consistently on offense. For certain, I would keep either Griffin or Wesco on Beacham's left and their primary responsibility would be to block. I might go with a two-TE offense. If Beacham doesn't start playing better, then I might give Edoga a start at LT or at least put him in as a 6th OL and have him on the opposite end of the line as the TE.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have tried that for two weeks. Teams don't fear our receivers, and I don't blame them. The are already cheating in the box and keying on Bell in the spread. Bell is never going to carry the offense in these formations. We cant protect our QB so lets force the defense to over commit on the run.

The more we pull the defense up the more the back end will open up when we do decide to throw. And Bell is good in traffic, and excellent breaking off of blocks. 8 in the box can stuff the run, and it can also create huge runs when the defense over commits. That is Bells specialty.

7. NCJetsfan

I totally agree with your comment regarding Gase being conservative. That's why I think it laughable that people are killing Gase for how the OL is playing or for his conservative play calling and game plan. That being the case, I would think it would make it very unlikely that he would be open to spreading the offense. It may simplify the blocking assignments up front (I trust your judgment on that), but it could mean bigger gaps for opposing DL or blitzers to get through, and with the way our OL are not blocking well, could be disastrous.

One thing that spreading the field could mean is that the DEs/OLBs would have to run further to get to Falk and he'd have more time to get rid of the ball. LOL

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He is supposed to run a practice where players learn their assignments.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In reference to the Oline struggling to know who to block.....that’s a problem with either the scheme, direction they are receiving, or what they are being asked to do.
    In any event, that’s a coaching issue all the way.

I understand your point in spreading the field.
    But you have to mix it up a little as well no?
    Barely any 21 formation, he stayed with the 3 WR set formations all game.
    Also where was the help for Beachum. Asking him to hold off Garrett with a rookie holding the ball too long was obviously not working.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Have you ever thought that maybe Pollack is to blame and not Gase? Sure the buck stops with Gase, but Pollack is the one who is directly responsible for the OL knowing their assignments and executing. Isn't it Pollack's blocking scheme as well? I don't understand everyone trashing Gase and not saying one negative word about Pollack.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You'd think a so called offensive genius would be able to figure this out, but alas...

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its fair to say there is blame to go around on the offensive coaching staff. Gase came with a guru reputation so its on him to kick butt. But his schemes still don't fit our talent.

So what happens if we get a little better pass protection? Do you really think we have the wideouts to be a pass first team? We don't. In fact they struggle to get open beyond 5 yards. Anderson seems to be the only one who can create some space 10 yards down field. That again is a sign that we need to pull the defense up to the LOS.

13. BrowningNagle

They are missing assignments up front a lot. Whats up with that Kurt?

Are the quarterbacks not calling it out right? are the blocking schemes coming in wrong from the sidelines? or are the linemen themselves making these mistakes. There are veterans on that line, it doesn't seem like they would have so many mental errors.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What? He had 25 yards rushing on 3 carries and has caught all 3 of his targets for 15 yards.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Coach didnt have the sense to bunch a TE to help Beachum from being beat like a drum last night....

16. BrowningNagle

Nah that's wrong.

Bell's specialty is running out the zone spread. In Pittsburgh they went 4 wide all game and fed Bell... he was patient and found the green. They weren't lining up with fullbacks in the I formation and telling him to run straight ahead

--

Also it's not about "fearing" the Jets wide receivers, its just simply about space. If you put 3 wide receivers out there, the defense can't just leave him uncovered. They have to send a defender in front of him. That takes away 3 potential tacklers at the very least. possibly 4 or 5 if they shade the safeties

17. NCJetsfan

Thank you for being fair. You might be right that his scheme doesn't fit our talent, but that scheme was based on Sam being at QB and with the assumption that we'd get at least decent OL play.

I disagree with you regarding Anderson being the only WR who can get open or create some space. Crowder can as well, and perhaps Montgomery if he's lined up as a WR. I agree that we shouldn't be a pass-first team with the way the OL is playing, and at least while Herndon and Thomas are out. Perhaps by the time Herndon, Sam and Thomas are back, the OL will have stepped up its level of play and we may be able to become a pass-first team. Remember that we have Bell and Montgomery and that quick, short passes can function the same as a rushing attack. I think that's what Gase envisions. Bell won't hold up for a full season with the pounding and workload he was getting last night. Powell needs to start getting some touches at RB.

I don't think Bellamy should see the field again on offense unless it's a dire emergency. I think Montgomery should be the #4 or #3 WR and Powell should be the #2 RB.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well you have seen this system for two games. Hows it working for ya?

Pitt didn't go 4 wide all the time with Bell? They always had a blocking TE and frequently a 2nd back. But when they did go spread they had a top o-line to fall back on and top wideouts to actually scare the LBs/safties.

Bells specialty is patiently running in traffic behind blocks and finding space/hitting the right holes.

19. NCJetsfan

The QBs aren't calling the blocking assignments. Kalil is doing that. With their being veterans, it does seem that fewer assignments would be blown, but it was said before the season that they'd be switching between zone and man blocking concepts/schemes. That's more to remember, and with only Winters, Shell and Beacham having played together before, with their having little or no practice time together, and with a new OL coach in Pollack and a new offense, it's not all that surprising imo.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Pollack made the Cleveland line better and that is a fact. It is troubling that this collection of veterans - as AG has stated repeatedly he was not worried about it (ha, ha) - is so bad. Are the schemes so complicated that they can not execute them... This week you had some OLmen stating they were getting better. My question is getting better at what, answering questions (?) because they simply did not get any better at run block or pass protection from wk 1 to wk 2. Same missed assignments, same poor communication, same results.

IMHO this O is undisciplined (12 penalties) and unimaginative. Indeed, even when Sam was in last week it wasn't any different and it was like watching TB team from last year.

AG record is now 0-2 and unfortunately soon to be 0-6 and that is without the last couple of years with the fish - 13-19 record.