We have a CB Crisis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Might have to win a few games 49-45 this season. I think Sam could be up for the challenge.

Imagesrdecieving and FJF like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Too many posters are getting too excited and seemingly wanting to mortgage the future to win this year. That wouldn't be wise. Mac screwed us royally. If he was still here, we wouldn't have all the optimism and excitement that we have now. We're just going to have to gird up our loins and accept that this is going to be another rough season due to our lousy CB corps and razor-thin depth across the roster. We'll see some progress and excitement with Sam coming of age, having a creative offensive mind as HC, and a competent DC. We probably won't beat ourselves, but will lose some close games due to lack of decent CBs, lack of depth, and/or lack of a quality kicker. For that matter, it could turn out that Kalil should have stayed retired and Harrison could be a disaster at C. We just have to be realistic, yet hopeful, enjoy the positive things we now have going for us and the positive moments this season, and look forward to the future.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

So being 3-8 or 4-8 going into the final 4/5 weeks into the season won’t be a failure? They didn’t spend $122 million to not be competitive and fight for a WC THIS YEAR

CBG, FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m sure they want to contend for a WC this season, but it’s not exactly do or die at this point. I sure hope Douglas is taking a longer term approach to things because he wants to win Super Bowls, not get Wildcards.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and Cman68 like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

What are your expectations then? The team has gone (5-11), (5-11), and (4-12) the last 3 seasons with terrible coaching and a weak roster. Now they have added many solid players, a new coaching staff and have a potential franchise QB. Does weakness at CB and lack of depth bring your expectations to (6-10)? Cause that would be horrendous and disappointing. I think the team needs to be (8-8) minimum in 2019. Hopefully they do much better, but the expectation should not be lower.

NYJFOREVER, cval and FJF like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah, pretty much. more zone or double coverage at the back end.

you can still blitz just utilize more zone blitzes or disguised/delayed blitzes. Or you could rely on guys like Leonard Williams / Quinnen Williams to get pressure so you don't have to blitz a Jamal Adams. Rely on investments like C.J. Mosley to stop the run so you don't have to bring Adams in to stop it. then you can use Adams in man to man coverage, or use him in zone to bait QBs, etc.

there are ways to hide the weakness. the high profile investments need to step up. Every team has weaknesses on the field, the good teams just get around it

All Gas No Shake, dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Or what? The coach needs to go? The GM maybe? Both?

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

8-8 would mean doubling their win total. That's a significant jump. I don't expect that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. JetsCuseYanksFan

Our pass rush has to be so fierce they have to knock the ball out of the quarterbacks hand before he can drop back to pass. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmw likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The 2014 Jets went (4-12) with Rex Ryan then the 2015 Jets went (10-6) with Todd Bowles. I don't know why you wouldn't expect something similar with all the changes and upgrades the Jets have made, plus actually having a QB for once.

No, but your expectations for the Gase era could go down. Depends how the season goes though. Can't just look at W/L, but how it happened. I personally think the Jets will be good and this won't be an issue.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This team SUCKED in the secondary before the injuries now that weakness is magnified = its going to be a long season folks

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Didn't you hear, we need to have 11 All-Pros on the field at once, if we don't then we need to go 4-12 and get a high draft pick

The time to win is this 4 year window with Sam on a rookie deal and a stacked team everywhere else. If trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick can nab us Darius Slay then I would do it in a heartbeat, our D would be top 5.

The Dark Knight, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

That's your projection, not mine. I never said that they'd be 3-8 or 4-8 at that point. In fact, if they are to finish 8-8, their record would have to be better than that at that time. I also didn't say that they wouldn't be trying to get a wild card. Of course they're going to win as much as possible, but you don't mortgage the future with all the major holes we have and the lack of depth.

The time to improve one's roster is FA and the draft, not during TC. At this point in TC, to expect Douglas to mortgage future in a desperate bid to improve the roster enough to compete for a wildcard spot this season would be foolish in the extreme, and totally unrealistic of Jets fans. He'd have to overpay for whomever he traded for, and in all likelihood, the players he traded for wouldn't be really worth it, and if he had other options, wouldn't be with us past this season or maybe next, but if he had to use draft capital to get them (which he would), then he'd probably wind up having to keep those players for multiple seasons due to not being able to replace them in the draft.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Stay put.

Desperation moves right before the season starts is how GMs get taken to the cleaners by the more savvy GMs.

At this point the roster pretty much is what it is.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We could have signed Clairborne and Scandrick for less than $5m total. Really would have given us some depth.

16. NCJetsfan

I'm really surprised at your response. You are usually one of the most level-headed posters here. I don't think I've ever seen you panic before.

Expectations need to be kept realistic. I can see the team finishing anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6. If Kalil and Harrison and the rest of the OL can't play better than in previous seasons, if G. Williams can't devise some sort of way to get consistent pressure on opposing QBs, and/or if we suffer some serious injuries, we aren't going to the playoffs regardless of whom we trade for, and will probably do well to finish 6-10. If we avoid serious injuries, and everything goes as well as can be expected, we have a shot at a wildcard. That's all we can ask with the hand that we were dealt by Mac.

Why would 6-10 be horrendous when that is the predicament our former GM left us in? He had ample opportunity to sign several FA CBs and passed. He had ample opportunity to upgrade the OL and passed. Instead of signing Mosley, who isn't that big of an upgrade over Williamson, we'd have been better off if Mac had signed two of these CBs in addition to or instead of Poole: Steve Nelson, Bryce Callahan, Pierre Desir, Bradley Roby, Ronald Darby, Darqueeze Dennard, and E.J. Gaines. We'd have been better off if he signed one or two of Trey Flowers, Justin Houston, Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Matt Paradis, Jesse James and Jared Cook. If Mac was still here, would you expect him to make a bunch of panic trades? If not, then why do you expect Douglas to do something like that? The time to fix major holes is during FA and the draft, not during TC. Mac screwed us and didn't fix those holes. That's the reality. It's a bitter pill to swallow for sure, but it's reality. Sure it will be disappointing if we don't make the playoffs again this season, but my question is, "Why should anyone really expect this team to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and be so disappointed that we didn't?" We all know Mac's failures in his drafts and FA.

Yes, it's unfair to Jets fans and to Gase and Williams to stick them with these problems, but life isn't fair. Douglas was hired to be smarter than Mac, to take a real long term view and bring in good players who fit our culture. He wasn't brought in to panic and try to fix everything in his first season. It would be one thing if Douglas got to handle FA and/or the draft, but he didn't. It's therefore totally unrealistic to expect him to make a bunch of trades to try to fix the holes that Mac left now that we're in TC. If you want to be frustrated, be frustrated with Chris Johnson that it took him so long to wake up and realize that Mac needed to go, and that was after FA and the draft. IMO it's better to have an attitude of gratitude that Chris Johnson woke up or that Gase helped him wake up and we were able to get Douglas as our GM, which probably wouldn't have happened if Mac had been fired at the end of the season, as the Eagles weren't allowing other teams to interview Douglas at that point. Be frustrated that Mac sucked and was so clueless. Douglas at least gives us hope for the future. I don't think any GM could presently make chicken salad out of the chicken shit that is the Jets' roster.

Do you really want to handcuff Douglas and his ability to identify talent in the draft, and mortgage our future by him making a number of trades now to bring in 2nd or 3rd tier players? Because that's what you're saying, and that's all we'd get at this point. No team is going to trade their quality starters or even talented young backups without getting some serious draft capital in return.

Having a better CS, better schemes, better game plans, in game adjustments, and better discipline should help the team win more games this season. Having better players both through improvement of players already here (especially Sam and Herndon) and the addition of new players (Bell, Crowder, Montgomery, Mosley, Q. Williams, Polite, et al) should help the team win more games. Having an easier schedule should help the team, so we do have a chance to compete for a Wild Card. That's all anyone could realistically expect or hope for this season. To expect more just isn't realistic, it's delusional.

Douglas isn't a magician or miracle worker. His job is to build a SB winner not mortgage the future just so the Jets have a better chance of getting a wild card this season. For him to try to fix the kind of holes that we have now would totally mortgage our future and would be unwise at best, and totally stupid at worst imo. It would be going all in on this season and ignoring the future, making the same mistakes that Parcells, Tanny, Rex, and Mac made. How many times does history have to repeat itself with the Jets before the cycle stops?

Just because we finally have a little optimism and hope for the future, some of you younger posters are going hog wild, panicking and seemingly wanting to mortgage the future for this season, as if it's do or die to make the playoffs this season. It isn't. Take a deep breath and step off the ledge.

twown, Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Mac and Bowles weren't left with the mess at CB and OL that Douglas and Gase are.

Why would our expectations for the Gase era go down? That makes no sense. We have Douglas thanks to Gase. Mac evidently didn't listen to Gase in FA or the draft. Just when we finally have a GM that the whole league respects and have a chance to build for the future, why would our expectations for the future go down because of the shit that Mac left us with?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

If we could get Slay for a 3rd, I'd do it, but why would the Lions give him away like that? I don't know that it would make our D top 5, either. IMO the only way it would is if Q. Williams and Polite prove to be revelations as pass rushers and Leon Williams finally starts piling up sacks.

Also, what happens next year when Douglas wants to get our future LT, WR and C and doesn't have the draft picks to do it?

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd be a terrible GM...I never think about next season... :confused:

Joe Douglas is probably thinking "this shit is worse than I thought..."

As far as scheming around our weak CB's...I hope Greg Williams is flexible enough in his defensive gameplan.
    Opponents are gonna go after out weakness at CB...especially with our front 7.

If they can't run on us, they're gonna go pass predominate.

Could get ugly.

CBG likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

just for the record I thought we had a crises BEFORE the injuries and my personal expectations for Gase have been low from the day that he was hired , not because of the talent on the team or lack there of but due to I would love the guy to prove me wrong and I will be excited to eat crow but I don't think this guy is a good coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.