We could of have had: Leinart (4), Mangold (29), and Justice (35)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilma#51, May 1, 2006.

1. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Short answer? No.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Lucky for us it won't be Delay of Game: Leinart preening at the line of scrimmage after all. It will, however, be Delay of Game: Leinart's head on fire from ignited hair gel at the line of scrimmage. I'll feel like I'm watching Michael Jackson make a Pepsi commercial. N-I-C-E.

3. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

The whole premise of this thread is a farse. There's no way you could forcast that we would have gotten Lienart, Mangold and Justice. By passing on Ferguson, the whole dynamic of the draft would have changed, and possibly created a run on, oh let's say, Offensive Lineman, and Justice then might have not made it out of the top 20.

Ellis

4. hateourdraft

hateourdraft Banned

Well, the Jets must have bought into that media hype then... because we were desperatly trying to trade up with Detroit to get him at 9 but they couldn't get the deal done... pretty poor negitiating when you consider who the Lions drafted there-- Ernie Sims- a late first rounder.

5. hateourdraft

hateourdraft Banned

Well thats the thing-- there is no way WE could forcast it-- but the Jets should have had a much better idea of how the draft would turn out.

6. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Absolutely disagree with you on this one... One of the key objectives of any FO and scouting team is to try and accurately project how the draft board is going to play out. This is a huge part of the drafting process (sometimes called "game theory" - yes the mathematician from movie Beautiful Mind invented this - and its implemented in all aspects of business and the draft is a classic example - anticipating what your opponents are going to do and deciding whats your best move based on that). Some teams do this better than others - and thats how you get picks that are "reaches" and some that are "high value" late round picks. Obviously you cannot project everything accurately, but you will consistently see certain franchises over and over falling into grabbing "reaches" while others pick-up great players late in the 1st and in the later rounds. I hate the pats/steelers/broncos, but they have done the best of the bunch in the last few years in projecting the draft board accurately.

Bottom line, you cannot pick in a vaccuum, you have to be aware and anticipate what the other teams are doing around you and plan accordingly.

I mentioned it earlier but when the JETS 35 pick came along and they saw all these top tier OTs left on the board, I think they realized that they did not project the draft board so well (ie. JETS picked-up 2 of the 3 o-lineman selected in the 1st round).

Meaning either the JETS was the sole genious of this draft, or just perhaps we missed something.

7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Yeah, but now we have no one protecting the right side. Now the only difference is our QB will be able to see who's about to fling him like a rag doll.
    When's the last time that happened to an OL drafted in the top 5?

8. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

You are right about the Broncos drafts, but how can you defend Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round when he probably would've been undrafted and they had rb depth...hmmm

9. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

also, why draft either justice (who the thread starter has no idea that he woulda fell to the 2nd round) or McNeill when you have adrian jones slated to start at right tackle..is justice a true left tackle, or would you be confident in another year of jones at left tackle...with leinart, in your instance, not mobile, i hope jones would develop into a left tackle such as ferguson

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

It's impossible to know, the extremely different environments will completely change the outcomes.

NY - Cold, Big market, Coles + McCareins, learns from Pennington
    AZ - Hot, Not as big, Boldin + Fitzgerald, learns from Warner

11. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Jones is a true LT.

12. phatnols

phatnols Member

I knew threads like these would happen as soon as we passed on Leinart and Winston Justice free falled. There is a reason Justice fell and his play and potential might have something to do with it. Go with the safe pick and I appluad the Jets not caving into the sexier pick(I couldnt have done it).
    But the real question is did the Jets have Lienart ranked higher than Cutler? I am not sure, and we will never know. Or was the choice between Dbrick or Davis or Hawk. I hate how its we passed on Lienart. He could have been our 10th ranked player for all we know.

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

:up: :breakdance: :beer: :up:

14. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Man i thought I was going crazy for a second........ but I know whats going on and I really don't blame people for it. I'm hoping the jets do great as well.

15. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Great Terry, thanks for being a member of the site. He's got a year of experience after playing the majority of his football career as a TE. The entire line was awful last year and "Jones is a true LT". geez I take it Bollinger is the next Montana.

16. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Leinart doesn't have the arm to play in Giants Stadium

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

He moved to LT in his senior year of college, and we drafted him to continue developing him into a fully-fledged LT. They spent all of 2004 working on that. In 2005, they had him play RT because we lost McKenzie. IMO, starting him at LT from the beginning and moving Fabini to RT would've been a better move, but it's in the past now . . .

Jones did not play well at RT. Jones played better at LT. Jones' build better suits him to play LT than RT. Jones has more experience playing LT than RT. And going into the draft, we had no good options at RT, and we still don't.

Maybe I just should have said Jones is a better LT than RT. Because there is no way that anyone can argue with that. It is FACT.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Brick did well at LT and Jones did well at RT. But I just don't see it working out as smoothly as everyone seems to think it will.

Don't make me resort to analogies, because mine are damn silly.

18. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

i love bith those scenarios but i still think we did good

19. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

And Pennington does? The whole arm thing is being way overblown. There are plenty of non rifle arm QBs that have done plenty good in the Meadowlands. Pennington had a great QB rating when he was healthy (didnt have a good arm ever). Brady/Simms and others as well did just fine.

20. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

And that just about sums it up.