We could of have had: Leinart (4), Mangold (29), and Justice (35)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilma#51, May 1, 2006.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is just no way of knowing that Justice would fall and I don't think he would have been an option for us anyway.. If one thing was clear from the first draft of the Tangini era it is that they value character as much as anything. Its easy to look back and say they could have done this or that but in reality they did what they thought to be best for the franchise. Noone on here wanted Leinart more than me but I completely respect the FO for not giving in to the pressure of taking him..They had a plan and stuck to it..

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

How many "coulda woulda" should of, I want these...Threads are you gonna make?

Is Clemens Akili or Harrington? Worst draft ever? Good start to the board...

3. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

"Why do I feel if we took Cutler, Mangold and Justice you would be just as pissed?"

Nail meet Head

#23 fake_crs, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  4. JetsForever

JetsForever New Member

Well I'll add my 2 cents in ... Been watching/reading this board for ages and have been a Jets fan since 1968 ...

IMHO Leinart is going to be the next Ryan Leaf ... A BUST ... I really liked the pick of Clemmens ... Ol' Matt was the product of superior talent around him, not his ability ...

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I JUMPED FOR JOY WHEN WE PASSED ON LEINART. There, I've said it, and I'm glad. I think Mangini and Tannenbaum accomplished what they set out to do, and I'm feeling pretty good about how it turned out.

Plus, seeing Leinart look like his puppy died every time someone took a pass... Hardy har har. :lol:

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hahahahahaha.... I'm with you!

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

When Texas took Mario my worst fear was taking Leinart. As much as I wasn't for D'Brick compared to Leinart it was a great pick and it took guts.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Leinart was so convinced he was going to NY he probably had on green boxer shorts. Look, not only was drafting Leinart a bad idea because of all the things mentioned, signing him would have cost us a fortune too. At the end of the day, we'd be sitting with a very expensive 1st-Round QB pick plus an already very expensive QB (Pennington) and another QB (Ramsey) who is also in the mix. And all this, with still no protection on the blind side.

No, we did the right thing there. We've got a guy who will make the pro bowl and be with us for 10 years.

9. boomer

boomer Active Member

I smell a Monday Morning Quarterback. Hindsight's 20/20.

10. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

I like Ferguson and am glad we picked him, but let me play devil's advocate here - if both Ferguson and Leinart become perenial pro bowl players, did we make the wrong choice?

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If Leinart is a bust and Clemens turns into a solid top 10 NFL QB is Tanny the man?

12. jetophile

NOT where the Jets wanted to be. I screamed, "HOLYSMOKESSONOFAB*TCH, I will stab myself in the face...!" An 11th hour reprieve from the Governor, WB. It made it gutsy because they didn't expect to be faced with Leinart sitting there at #4 and they decided his hair looked stupid above all else. Stupid hair, who needs it. I can't worry how this guy's hair turns out elsewhere. That's for Matt Carr, er, I mean David Leinart and the Cards to worry about - read between the lines and wrap your Monday Morning Mind around that analogy. So we would have had another high priced guy we couldn't have protected anyway? Greeeeeaaaaat. I'm essentially happy on this day.

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Would there really be anway to deny it?

14. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Leinart may or may not be a bust, I have no idea.

However, I wouldn't go off comparing him to David Carr who did it 1 season for a up and coming, but not big, program at the time. Leinart did it at USC for 3 yrs against tough competition.

15. jetophile

I'm talking more about how things stand today. A comparable situation. Leinart without protection, what good is it. Leinart also had a great supporting cast, which I think made him look better than he really is. I wasn't necessarily calling Carr a bust, either. I think it's somewhat unfair when the guy's been sacked 200+ times - and he's still alive. Who knows, he may be psychologically damaged beyond repair, but that's yet to be seen. And, who needs a coiffe like that in NY, I ask you. Delay of Game: Leinart is preening himself at the line of scrimmage.

16. BroadwayRay

BroadwayRay New Member

This "we coulda had Leinart and Justice" business is good if you like drafting big names and use Street&Smith's annual draft review to make decisions.

Fact is, there were issues with Leinart that scared away a lot of teams, not just the Jets. The Raiders, Bills and Lions passed on him for Christ's sake, and their qb situations are just as open-ended as the Jets'. He was not a clearcut blue chipper.

Justice had even more issues, and he's not even as good as Ferguson.

17. Tight

Tight Active Member

Im going to have to disagree with that statement. Before chad got injured throwing in Giants stadium was not a problem. I personally would have traded the 1st 2nd and 3rd that detroit wanted. Im also happy with clemens, while im not ready to get in bed with him like most people who already have clemens for an avatar, I think that kid can be decent if not good. I say the throw for 63 yards, and boy was that a beauty. Who knows what will happen in training camp. We'll soon see.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

LMAO!

That was funny. His head in his hands, on the phone...

When he got to AZ, In his interview he said NY would have been nice and he was already complaining about the heat..

"It's like 100 Degrees out here today" :lol:

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Clemens is supposed to be just as good as those guys and we got him alot cheaper.

#39 ny2dave, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  20. Section 227. Row 5

That's funny, really funny... him complaining. I've got news for him, if he thinks Arizona is hot now, he ain't seen nothin' yet. It's only April. 100 degrees is cool spring weather for those dudes. What a putz.

My daughter went to Arizona State at Tempe and I took her out there in the month of August.... like to died. Wait until Leinart has to work out at TC in August out there. Make matters worse, it sometimes actually rains out there early in the morning in August, so even if you get up at 5am to work out, you sweat like a pig from the heat AND humidity. You walk outside and it's like a friggin' steambath. "Dry heat" my ass. It's hot as hell out there. Leinart's gonna be whining up a storm.