WCO Plays, Formations, and any other info to understand the 'O' better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Guys we don't have the personnel to run any type of offense effectively yet. It's pretty obvious that the offense needs a complete overhaul no matter what offense we run.

The good news is that Rex can see that his vision for an offense can't win in today's NFL and he brought in someone that can run a o to compete.

Now Idzik got some work to do.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ha you're are too funny. See, you know that everything in that post is fact. You are just in denial. Is this really the response you come up with? I mean cmon, at least put a little more effort into it.

How about, please refute my argument accurately..."or stfu"

As for his footwork- he's gotten to the point where he doesnt set his feet when throwing the ball, so that in turn hurts his accuracy. Obviously, accuracy follows footwork- you need a solid strong base. Consistent accuracy follows consistent footwork. Mark Sanchez's fundamentals are extremely inconsistent and tend to break down, especially while under pressure- throwing off his back foot is a huge problem with him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...atthew-stafford-nfls-most-mechanically-flawed

Also supports that his feet are very inconsistent in that he doesnt follow through with his feet with his throw- which causes him to primarily be using his arm (and unlike some like Matthew Stafford or Jay Cutler, Sanchez doesnt have the elite arm strength to make up for the poor footwork).

Now, Im no QB expert, but its not hard to see that he is fundamentally flawed and has regressed.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I take it you're USC guy.
    All your Sanchez arguments are rooted in a single base: Mark was running it in college, therefore he will be good at it.

Take off the shades and face the facts:
    1. Mark's college glory days were 4 years ago.
    2. His WCO experience was against college Ds (As opposed to much faster, "seen-it-all" pro defencemen)
    3. He was in college or only 1 year.

ON the other hand observations from this season:
    4. He routinely misses simple laterals to RB.
    5. He routinely misses slant passes.
    6. He has great difficulties reading defences.
    These all are indicators that Sanchez can NOT run WCO.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

WCO has so much dependency on timing, accuracy, pre snap communication, and being in sync with the WR's as they have option routes.
    Pretty much everything Sanchez has struggled with.

If we go into next year just hoping Sanchez improves with a new scheme, the season will be even uglier than this year.
    We need to bring in a viable QB. If for some reason Sanchez excels and beats him out, then great. But if not, i want a different QB running this O.

We really would need a versatile RB as well.
    I'm done with McKnight. Can't pass protect, fumbles like crazy, and has yet to be effective catching passes out the backfield.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I was really hoping that this wouldn't turn into yet another Sanchez argument. Haven't we had enough discussion about that?

Can we please, for the sake of good discussion, just assume that Sanchez isn't the QB next year? Let's just take that out of the equation and discuss the topic at hand.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

McElroy or Alex Smith would be the best bet in running that offense, then. McElroy doesn't have a whole ton of arm strength, but he is extremely smart with the ball. If you make him have roughly 4 seconds to throw the ball with good short routes, he'll get it done.

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think no matter what offense we do we badly need new blood on the offensive line

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Does anyone know if there's a particular blocking scheme that goes hand and hand with the WCO? And also the type of formations used? (how many TE's, is a FB used heavily, how many WR's typically, ect)

Would really appreciate a response.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I get your frustration, but it's pretty hard to discuss transitioning to a new offense without talking about the QB that will be running it.

And at this point, aside from entertaining the distasteful idea of Vick, Sanchez is the only real option to talk about.

As ill fit as he is to run a WCO at this level.

Hard to get excited about discussing a new offense when you don't know who your signal caller is.

10. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

Now the Jets are doing the WCO like the Dolphins?

Last season it was hiring Sparano and trying to re-create the dolphin wild cat.

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Zone blocking

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Why would we assume that LTJ? frankly hiring MM is a pretty strong signal that MS is very likely the QB in '13 and that he's going to run the WCO unless somebody else can beat him out for the job. Seems to me that Woody has already decided that he's not eating that contract, deal w/it. Seems that once that decision was made, Rex met w/MS and they discussed what the best chance was for MS to improve his performance - the decision was to go back to the WCO - enter MM.

#92 AbdulSalam, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Right, we're modeling ourselves on the Dolphins' ultra-successful model.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Andy Reid & Bill Walsh & Shanahan utilized zone blocking. I'm not sure about all other coaches from the Walsh tree that used WCO.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Watch the Skins OL this year.

A lot of zone-blocking, a lot of chop blocks and stretch runs.

The premise is that, the pass will go out in a certain set time (preferably by 3 seconds after the snap, if that long.) And, you want your RB to be a good pass catcher from the backfield. If he can bull his way through the OL for a few tough yards, good. But the offense doesn't intend to rely on that - meaning, the punishing style of RB doesn't really fit well with WCO.

Instead, WCO seeks to generate running attack, based on strong passing attack; so, instead of road grater, you'd want athletic linemen that can pull at a moment's notice and stay nimble on their feet.

For instance, if the defense sits in the zone, with a few blitzers flying in, it will create a huge void at the shallow area, between the LBs sitting in the zone, and the down linemen + blitzers - if the QB hits a shallow screen pass in that situation, having a few OL blocking downfield will create huge gain. (Eagles did just that - I just felt like explaining the idea behind.)

Also... in WCO, probably Keller is much better fit. He can occasionally spring a few chop blocks from the backside, but his value will lie in pass catching threat - which he does adequately. On top of that, it is highly likely that... a FB is less than an afterthought.

Finding QB would be a challenge; I see GMac a better trigger man than Nacho will ever be in WCO.

#95 Zach, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm looking to piece together any information I can find and will share so we can be able to understand the WCO better.

17. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Too bad Conner was with the bengals for the playoffs....doubt we will get him back

18. wildaces

wildaces Banned

19. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

I hope you guys follow our 2012 model it by getting no top receivers...:up:

Fucking idiots thought that having no 1 or 2 WR would make it successful...:mad:

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/4/8/2...ybook-brown-right-f-short-2-jet-flanker-drive

West Coast Offense Playbook: Brown Right F Short 2 Jet Flanker Drive

This is a new post idea I had where I thought I'd try to break down some west coast offense plays or concepts. I'm going to start with the same play Steve Mariucci broke down with Robert Griffin III at the combine. A lot of us saw that video and fell in love with Griffin, but didn't fully understand the play in question. So here is my best attempt to break it down for the those of us out there who don't understand football terminology (I am by no means an expert on the subject, so if you see a mistake feel free to point it out).

So lets have a simple first look at the full play, it's called "Brown Right F Short 2 Jet Flanker Drive".

[​IMG]

Looks like just your average play on Madden, right? Not quite...

We start with the personnel grouping. Before every play, the offensive coordinator will choose a personnel grouping and substitute certain players on the field for different groupings. This particular play happens to be run from the 'Base' or 'Regular' grouping, which is the personnel group that is most commonly used by a west coast offense. The Base/Regular group contains two backs (a fullback and running back), two wide receivers (the 'X' and 'Z' receivers) and one tight end.

Once the personnel group is on the field, you have to line them up in a formation. This formation is called 'Brown'. The extra blocker (the tight end) is on the right side, making that the strong side. This is called 'Brown Right'. Here's a quick look at the Brown Right formation.

[​IMG]

In the Brown formation, the fullback lines up directly behind the quarterback, while the running back is off-set to the right of the fullback. The tight end lines up on the right side of the line, making that the strong side.

After the formation, you call any motions involved in the play. In this case, the motion 'F Short' is called. This is a simple call that tells the flanker (F) to motion inside closer to the tight end before the ball is snapped. This is represented in the first picture as the initial part of the Z receivers route.

Then the protection is called. This play calls for '2 Jet' protection. Here's what it looks like from this formation.

[​IMG]

The '2 Jet' (or 3 Jet) protection is the most common protection scheme in the west coast offense. It's a six man protection scheme that can be used from multiple formations. In an ideal situation, 2 Jet protection allows the offense to block four to the Will. Simply put, the four offensive lineman on the Will's (weak-side linebacker) side will slide/zone block to that side. In the picture above, you can see the Will backer circled in green. The four closest lineman, the left tackle, left guard, center and right guard should all slide/zone block to that side.

This leaves the other two blockers, the right tackle and fullback, to block the strong side of the line. The right tackle will usually block the defensive end lined up over him. The fullback has to read the other two linebackers before he makes his block. In the picture above, the Sam (strong-side linebacker) is lined up in man coverage over the 'Y' receiver (the tight end). In this scenario, the fullback would come inside and block the Mike (middle linebacker). However, the defense could call for the Sam backer to blitz and the Mike to drop back to cover the tight end. In that situation, the fullback would go outside and block the Sam.

Once the protection has been called, the routes follow. For this play, we have a route combination called "Flanker Drive". As Mariucci explains in the video, 'Flanker Drive' calls for the flanker (in this case, the Z receiver) to run a 'shallow cross', an underneath crossing route. But as a part of the route combination, the tight end also runs a 10 to 12 yard 'In' route.

On this route, the tight end is coached to get an outside release. This is where he gets himself to the outside shoulder (outside being closer to the sideline) of the defender covering him. The reason being, if the tight end gets to the outside, it can cause a lot of traffic in the same area as the flankers shallow cross. This could cause a natural pick (basketball fans will know what I'm talking about), where the defender covering the flanker could get blocked by either the tight end or another defender, creating separation between the flanker and his defender.

The flanker and the tight end are running their routes on the same principle. If the defense is in zone coverage, they both will break off their route in the middle of the field and sit in position. If the defense is lined up in man, both routes carry on running across the field. The running back will also run a quick out route coming out of the backfield.

The progression for the quarterback to read through is shown in the first picture. His first read is the flanker's shallow cross. His second read is the tight end's in route. His third read is the running back's quick out, although this can be used as the 'hot read' if the defense sends a big blitz.

The X receiver in this play can be largely irrelevant. He's not even factored in to the original progression for the quarterback. On a Flanker Drive play, the X receiver can be called to run any route desired. But as it's not in the original progression, it's usually called for a 'Go' or 'Vertical' route, as I have done in the first picture. Even though this route isn't in the progression, it's an 'Alert' route, meaning it can become the primary read if the quarterback likes the look the defense gives him. So in the example we have above, the X receiver's go route would become the first read if the quarterback see's one on one coverage with no safety help over the top.

So there you have it. Hopefully it wasn't too confusing and hopefully I didn't miss anything out.