Way too early off-season plan. How JD can get it done?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 12, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I only see 2 of them as instant starters this year. I'd love tyler but don't think he slip out of the 1st. I'm sure we can get hansen with our 2nd, I don't think we can with our 3rd though. if we don't get one of those 2, it's gonna be another year of jonathan harrison and despration

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can we draft a new head coach?

Asking for a friend...

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope we sign at least 1 OL, 1 CB,and 1 Edge in FA. Then, I'd like to land 2 OL, 1 WR, and 1 CB or Edge from this draft.

This won't be a popular thing to say after the game he just had, but if a team offers a 1 and two 3's for Adams in the offseason, I'd strongly consider pulling the trigger. We'd have two 1's, a 2, three 3's, a 4, and a 5 before round 6. We can address OT, C, WR, CB, Edge, OG, and RB with those picks. I mentioned RB because Powell and Montgomery are FA's after the season and who knows how much longer Bell can play at a high level even with a better OL. I wouldn't draft one before round 3 though.

#23 CotcheryFan, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    dmw likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Najee Harris lasts until round 4. I would pull the trigger on him......

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE the idea of going LT, C with our first two draft picks. Personally, I would go guard after that, but I would be smiling so much after taking two linemen one and two I wouldn't mind a wideout.

The Jets do have many holes to address, but I would really like to see a commitment to building a decent offensive line this offseason. It would change the entire offense. I think the pieces we have can be productive behind a decent line.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Geez if we had any team worth its salt there wouldn't be a need for this thread on week 11.

nice work.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

there are some draftniks that think that while thomas can play both tackle spots very well, Wirfs is the better LT (pass pro..."dancing bear")

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

With 7 more games and maybe two more wins the Jets will have alot to do this offseason. I haven't fully looked at all the free agents and all the draftable players but few things I think will happen.

1. I do think the Jets will sign two or three startable free agent offensive linemen. Similar to what the Bills did. I could see them throwing money at Scherf or Conklin but don't expect them to overpay for anyone. I think a player like OT Halapoulivaati Vaitai from the Eagles will be players we look to sign. Someone who has starting experience won't break the bank and will be looking to start. Vaitai played well for the Eagles last year. I see a player like Conklin or Sherf if the price is right but more Vaitai type players.

2. As for corner I think they try to resign Poole hope Austin pans out and sign at least two starting type corners but same thing not top dollar. I think they'll hope to draft a player or too who could help.

3. Draft: I think we will look to trade back if possible. I fear if we are out of the top 5 meaning a qb or Chase Young we might have a hard time trading back. I think Douglas where we are at might look to trade because there are so many holes to be filled he'll need the picks. With the picks it'll be oline early followed by cbs and wrs 2-5.

4. Jamal: What happens here. Really only tradable player to get any return. I know we're not getting a Ricky Williams Hershel Walker trade for him but if we do or something close he'll do it. Anything else I think he stays.

5. Leveon: He's another one. if somehow the contract can be reworked I can see him going for a 3rd. Time will tell.

Again I have to look at things more but with 7 left I think this is the thought. Things can change.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule out throwing the richest guard contract kind of money at Scherff. From 2002-2011 (after Randy Thomas left), this franchise really did everything they could to make sure we threw resources at the offensive line. Pete Kendall, Faneca and two first round draft picks. Later down the road, Damien Woody and the eventual development of Brandon Moore.

I think that's why it's so mind blowing that numbnuts Maccagnan thought he could piece the fucking thing together with two 5th-6th round picks in 5 years and a couple of mediocre low pay free agents.

So much irony in him coming from David Carr's organization. And when he got here it was known that his "strategy" was to find late round gems on the line. And I was so confused by that.

10. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Your reasoning makes sense and I can see it happening. Agree 100% why he thought he could build a line with 5th and 6th round picks. It's absurd. Defensive line you can do that. Look at our line now with the exception of Quiennen. As for offensive it has to be early. You can find a late round gem or udfa but usually they are selected in the first three rounds and many good offensive line come from round 2 and 3. It was crazy not to pick them earlier. So many picks they should've taken offensive line but between besr available and dline it's maddening. Missed a bunch of skill players too. Not easy being a Jets fan.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Where's the DL?!

Most of this looks reasonable. Interesting idea to cut Williamson, but one that does make sense with all the money tied up in Mosley and several younger ILBs on the roster that have gotten experience this year.

Really pulling for Bless Austin to continue showing promise. That'd be a major boost if he could start next year, but not holding my breath.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

For as much cap space as we're going to have, we're also going to have to fill half the roster as we don't have many players under contract (this is what happens when you don't draft well).

I think JD is going to have a low profile FA where he addresses the o-line/CB/EDGE.

13. GasedAndConfused

i mean he could wind up that way sure. you never know. but i mean draftniks thorugh ryan leaf was better then peyton manning too and trubisky was better then mahomes and watson. you never know who will bust and who will be a pro bowler.

14. GasedAndConfused

don't need to do anything for the d-line. Q, mclendon, phillips, foley, shepard, and anderson are all under contract for 2020

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe trade Adams for picks. He's an awesome player but he also has a huge trade value and the Jets have a lot of holes to fill. I don't know what I would do if I was the GM.

16. GasedAndConfused

no just no. you don't trade a 22 year old on his rookie deal who is the best in the NFL at his position to take a chance and draft players who 99% chance won't be as good as him

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That was a joke. The DL is indeed looking solid and full of young players.

GasedAndConfused and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And numbnuts MacCagnan even ANNOUNCED at an early press conference that he did not believe in using decent draft picks and the OLINE, and yet the lucky sperm bros. for some insane reason let him run FIVE drafts for the jets.

19. mrjet80

I agree. Adams is the face of the defense.

Darnold, Adams, and Q. Williams are the untouchables for now.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. mrjet80

I think Scherff will be the first FA he calls......