Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Wahoo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sign him !!!
    Seriously, Tebow was never going to translate to the NFL ,

2. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

How is watson when he is contained in the pocket? The answer is not good at all. How he played in clemson doesnt translate to the nfl. Goff was a better prospect who was also in a spread system. How is he turning out?

3. TonyFtLaud

Plenty of NFL QBs are better on the move. The problem is the injury risk which I actually posted earlier. The shit knock about a QB being a system QB is becoming baseless. Probably 80 PCT of plays run in the NFL are shotgun plays with a single back. The NFL is quickly adopting the spread offense. Watson needs work, that's for sure,but that's not football IQ. Who was that guy who fell really hard in the draft. I remember the cameras kept showing him every pick. From California. The knock was he was a system QB. The same knock we heard on Petty , Cam , Mariota , oh I remember the guy who fell, it was Aron Rodgers.
    How many QBs have been drafted into the league the past 10-12 years? How many have become FQBs?
    Say what you want , mastering footwork is easier then the mental side of the game . The great QBs all possess the mental aspect and drive to come through under pressure and Watson has shown he has both.
    There is no sure thing in the NFL draft and QB is the riskiest position to draft but if the upside is there and you don't have a FQB you better take the risk or your going nowhere. Right now there is absolutely nothing to give us reason to believe that Hack or Petty are FQBs.
    You obviously know something about Hack the rest of us don't. Hopefully you are right and Hack leads us to the Superbowl this year and wins 9-10 rings for us. After all. He played under center in college , is extremely intelligent , can make all the reads , all the throws, how can he not be the Savior.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No it doesn't guarantee pro success, but it's one factor that I think needs to be strongly weighed. To put it in context, Tebow had terrible mechanics, and yet he won big games. That trait actually DID translate into the pros because he won games with the Broncos, despite his limitations. Remember when he beat the Jets in the Meadowlands? You can argue that he won with the Broncos because of the talent around him, and that's true, but the fact he DID win.

Now take that winning mentality and couple with physical gifts like Watson has and you have an almost sure success story. Time will tell.

westiedog1 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

This is one reason I like Mahomes so much, because he doesn't seem to need good footwork to make completions. Would improved footwork help him? Probably, but I'd rather let him play like he is because he's obviously learned how to be successful that way, than to risk screwing him up.

As for Peterman, I also though he looked good and thought if the Jets don't take Mahomes or Watson early, he might be a good pickup in a later - 4th or 5th - round. He played in a pro style offense and has good physical traits.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

I couldn't agree more with you about Mahomes. Hopefully who ever drafts him doesn't try to fix him . I can see him struggling if his mechanics are messed with.

Big Cat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think he should be able to fix his footwork without messing up his accuracy or improvisational ability. As someone pointed out, he has good fundamentals part of the time, so it's not like they would be totally new to him. With his fundamentals, the number of interceptions he throws in the NFL is likely to balloon, and his accuracy is likely to not be as good especially if he plays outdoors in the NE.

8. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:

60 - Mahomes
    59 - Webb
    56 - Kizer
    55 - Trubisky, Evans
    53 - Peterman, Kaaya
    49 - Watson

We knew Mahomes had a cannon but Webb was also impressive. Watson was surprisingly weak, Pennington like. The Jets are not goinng to win anything next year. I say take Mahomes who has more tools and work on his footwork. He is not far away.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-mahomes-pass-from-knees-video-twitter-060316

Power arm.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Elway did it with Paxton Lynch last year, your telling me that Lynch was ready to be the backup?

No one can convince me that Paxton was ready to be the backup, he started 2 games and did what every rookie is expected to do, he was not good, but that was experience that he can use moving forward.

Rookies can come in and play well, if they have the team around them built correctly, if they have no one it's hard for them to be successful.

Let's not forget that all Dak did was hand the ball off for the first couple of weeks before they asked him to take on more passing responsibility.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Where is Tebow now though? His time in the limelight ended rather quickly. He did have the one year like you mentioned, but was he worth a first rounder? Even in that 1 year he was pathetic as the D kept them in the game until the end.

Watson has accuracy issues, played in a 1 read offense, doesn't really have a great arm, and can't consistently make plays in the pocket. Good leader, football iq is good, but can only get you so far. Tbh, I'd maybe take him in the 2nd due to value, but I like the prospects next year more and what they bring to the table. Rather continue to wait on a QB I like, instead of being kind of desperate and taking one just to take one. In the meantime, I would look for the Jets to continue to build the roster.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're probably right on this.

There was a lot of talk around the draft of Tebow fixing his mechanics but once you get to that age a lot of things are almost set in stone. You have muscle memory and neuro feedback based on past successes and it's really hard to change everything up.

I used to think Tebow didn't want to change all that stuff but looking back on it years later I think he probably tried but just could not make the adjustments necessary to be a good NFL QB.

The position change to H-back probably would not have succeeded either even if Tebow was willing to buy into it. He didn't have a classic H-back toolset going for him and all the pieces that were close probably wouldn't have gotten him past well constructed NFL defenders not playing out of position.

12. ColoradoContrails

Look, however you want to knock down Watson to justify your stance that he's not worthy of the #6 pick (and for the record, while I DO think he's worthy there, I like Mahomes better for the Jets), he's still a better answer for them than Petty, Hack, Cutler, RGIII, or (plug in your choice). At worst case - which I can't in my wildest dreams believe would happen - let's say he's another Tebow...so he has one good year and gets them to the playoffs, and maybe even the SB- that's one more good year than anyone else had had on the Jets for a while. Do you really think he's not better than Mark Sanchez was? Drafting Watson - or better yet Mahomes - has to be an improvement over what they have or can have, and as for "waiting until next year", I've already pointed out how there are NO guarantees on that front.

If there were really any better option at QB for the Jets, I would say, okay, let's go with that and then see if we can get something better if we need to down the road. But the sad fact is there is no one better.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would be disappointed if we gambled our sixth overall pick on any of these quarterbacks.

If we have to take one in this draft I could live with Webb at the top of round three. With that said, I would rather have Zay Jones or Mixon if available.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Oh well GM's make mistakes they are humans..It's not like we ever draft good in the second round anyway probably would've grabbed another bust.

We can't just not look forward because of a move we made in the past... Hack can't even throw to defenseless wideouts in training camp... we blew it! Lets go make up for it.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. JetLifeLo

Well Hack sucks so let's take Watson.

Watson is a stud, Hack is not.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I wonder what Joe Montana's "fastball" was clocked at? ;)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I can understand where your're coming from and pretty much echoes what many Jet fans feel. In a 'fans' world, yes lets light the fuse and start over again. But in the real world that involves high paying jobs and execs/mgrs making decisions on kids that, with many risks involved, are one play away from a career ending injury. no way that they will admit a 'mistake' after 1 year. That's the logic that I take when making an argument. And my argument is, imo, that fans think with their heart and not with their mind.

That being said, Maccagnan would pretty much write his own epitaph if he drafted a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Red Menace and JetLifeLo like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hack is unknown, we don't know much about Hack right now which is why I am bypassing a QB in this draft. Should he fail, I'll take my chances and gamble on next year. Especially if I am interested in a specific QB prospect. In the mean-time, I will continue to create a talented roster.

Hack, Petty and a McCown type QB for depth.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

I get what you mean from that perspective. Good post.

20. ColoradoContrails

Okay, I can buy your logic up to a point. That point being that you don't want to risk not getting a "sure thing" in the draft this year, because you drafted a QB who - by consensus - isn't a "sure thing".

But, why are you so SURE about finding your FQB next year, or even in 2019? I've already laid out the many ways that the Jets can miss out on that, so from what I can see, you're still making a big gamble. The only difference seems to be what we're willing to give up. From my perspective, I believe that the Jets can't get to, let alone win, a SB, without a FQB. And I believe they do not have a FQB on their roster, nor are they going to sign one via FA or a trade. So, if they don't draft one this year, that's one more year that we have to wait and wonder.

And it's not like Darnold or whoever is the top rated QB now is guaranteed to actually achieve that potential - we could a wait a year, or two or three quite easily ans still not have that QB we need. And it's also not like we're talking about drafting chopped liver this year: Watson took his team to TWO National Championships, against what was considered the runaway best team in college football, and won one of them after losing barely in the other. And Mahomes is universally acknowledged as having off the charts ability.

I get your reluctance to make that gamble, but I really don't see that your way of "playing it safe" in the long is really safer.

TonyFtLaud and westiedog1 like this.