Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Wahoo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It was his lack of velocity and inaccurate passes that caused him to carve up Alabama's all world defense in back to back championship games. The Alabama DBs were in perfect position but the ball was late because his delivery was slow or it was thrown to the wrong spot because he missed by so much. He holds the record for most total yards in national championship game history, with 478 yards (405 passing / 73 rushing) against the nation's best defense.
    The only real knock is dual threat QBs are out of fashion in the NFL due to injury concerns.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

Hes so accurate that he threw 17 ints in 13 games right?

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

45-40 in that first game...not much defense, lots of offense though.

You may be right in that he might take more grooming and not be able to play his first year, which would mean he wouldn't be a good fit for the Jets as they stand right now. But, if they did sign a vet to play this year, and drop either Petty or Hack, it give Watson some time. I'm not advocating this approach necessarily, I still prefer Mahomes, but I do believe that Watson is a better QB than Petty or Hack and so drafting him would still be a good move.

4. ColoradoContrails

There are lots of HOF QBs who threw lots of interceptions...Favre for one. Interceptions aren't the only measurement. If the other team doesn't capitalize on the pick it doesn't count for much. Plus there are other factors to consider besides how many picks he threw. Taken out of context of those factors over-exaggerates them.

stinkyB, westiedog1 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

I think i like Watson more than petty but im not sure since petty has 2 years of experience. Hack i think will be a better pro. His first year at penn state as an 18 year old kid he was looking like tom brady. Making all the correct adjustments, reads, and executing the plays. After obien left it was the perfect storm for him to fail. He got a clown for a hc and no recruits would go there because of everything that happened.

6. TonyFtLaud

It was 15 games, 17 picks, 4593 passing yards and 41 TDs. 14-1 record capped with a championship. Not so bad in context

7. ColoradoContrails

Maybe you - and all those who think Hack can be a FQB - are right, but you're basing this belief on one year, his freshman year, and seeming to ignore the record since. And while he may have great physical skills and potential, if he's as psychologically damaged as even you acknowledge, the odds are stacked against him ever becoming what he could've been.

On the other hand, Watson's physical gifts may not be as strong as Hack's, but there is no question about his psychological strength, and IMO that is the biggest factor. The shortcoming in that one area is the difference between boom and bust, and which is why Watson is a better bet than what the Jets have now.

#47 ColoradoContrails, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

Watson's football IQ is also much greater than what we have now. I recently watched Hack on grudens QB camp and even gruden told him he had to pick it up, it was taking him forever to draw up a play on the white board. Watson is the polar opposite. I saw a Quote from the combine that one team compared his football IQ to Payton Manning's. That's impressive.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

And you know, this would explain why he's having such a hard time acclimating to the pro game. I mean there has to be some reason why Macc and Bowles have kept him from even getting on the bike with training wheels. How he's been handled leaves a very doubtful picture of his ability to succeed.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that if a QB is leading a top offense as Watson was, throwing a pick here or there may not matter much because he knows he'll get the ball back soon and get another chance to score. With Watson, I look at the entire career of wins vs loses against top competition. His resume is impressive enough for me at the #6 pick. As for his supposed measured velocity, I haven't seen any such statistic and not sure if it means anything. I saw him throw at the combine and he held his own with everyone else. In fact, I was impressed by his sideline throws. That's where velocity is important. He made three straight throws, all on target, all darts with very little arch on the trajectory.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

Gruden only told him to pick it up because he was explaining things very detailed. That has nothing to do with a lack of football iq. Watson looks at 1 guy and throws it to him that makes him have a high football iq? I dont think so

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Yea I'm not a stickler for combine velocity but 49 mph is absolutely terrible.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's almost like Mahomes is the best quarterback in this draft ;)

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have to wonder how many QBS will go in the 1st round. There is a good chance that no QB gets drafted in round one.

What teams are left that need a QB? The Jets, Browns and possibly the 49ers. The 49ers do not need to reach for a QB. The Browns can still trade for Garapalo or even go with Osweiller and Mac believes in BPA which should eliminate all QBS from consideration.

That being said my guess is one QB gets drafted. Let's hope we are not the one reaching.

Devinthedude likes this.
  15. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

Im thinking there will be 2, teams always like to reach for qbs. Im guessing browns and redskins

16. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

I don't care if Watson doesn't have the arm Jamarcus Russell had. Seriously, the guy is a winner. I am a clemson fan. He is as good as they come....

Is he Aaron Rogers? No. He's more Russell Wilson if anything. But my god, what the hell do you guys see in Bryce Petty and co.

Watson is a lock to be a good NFL qb. And if not, get ready because we will need to trade the house to get the number one pick next year. Even though we will probably have a top3 pick thinking about it lol

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tim Tebow won a bunch of national titles also. College success doesn't mean you'll be a great player at the next level. AJ McCarron, a backup at best. Great winner.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Some teams will trade back into the first for a qb so they can get that 5th year option. i'm betting 3 go in the first.
    As for the jets, i don't think we are going ab early. if we did i would take watson with the 6 .

stinkyB likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

He wasn't explaining shit. He took close to a minute to draw a basic play on the white board, Gruden told him you have to go faster than that.
    Why act stupid about the combine ?You must know how teams evaluate players football I.Q. and Watson impressed everyone he interviewed with. One executive in particular.
    We know you don't like Watson, but stop posting out of context, and things you know to be false.
    Watson, while I don't think should be our pick has proven himself against the best Day in college football ,twice and is head and shoulders above Hack.

gajetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if i really had to pick a QB in the first round this year i would likely flip a coin between watson and mahomet and that is somewhat dependent on where the pick is. But watching the QB drills i couldn't help but notice that ALL of these guys were lacking good footwork (some more than others) and couldn't throw consistently to a spot on the field.

i really don't understand who is coaching these kids and why these kids are allowed to go thru a college career without a heavy dose of QB 101 from either within the program or outside their respective program in the offseason.

believe it or not - peterman looked pretty good in the drills that i saw. reminds me of alex smith.

nicg4360, Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.