Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I disagree just as much. He’s a perfect fit for this offense and any successful offense in the NFL in 2022. Speed, athleticism, playmaking ability all elite. That’ll get you places.

KingRoach and ouchy like this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Even If Wilson doesn't pan out, he was picked In the area where he should have been taken value wise. It wont be an over-draft no matter how he turns out.

As far as how he turns out.. I think you are wrong there too. Good news Is, we will know very soon.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No, it was not a mistake. This guy can make long runs at any time. That's one of the main reasons they like him.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The key to a successful draft is to select top players at all positions that significantly improve your team at the right value. So hell yes it was the right thing to do.

#24 LAJet, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
  5. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Yes. Our offense last year was terrible. You need to add blue chippers to improve that.
    Having a player like Hall vs Coleman/Johnson is a MARKED improvement.
    A solid running game with Hall/Carter reduces the pressure off of our biggest unknown on offense... Z. Wilson.

nycarl, JetFanInNE, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They traded a fifth round pick to get Hall. Can we stop complaining about trading picks, especially these late round dart throws? Joe Douglas got a 6th round pick for Blake Cashman; that 5th rounder is easily replaceable.

The meat and potatoes of this draft class was mid 1st to end of round 3/beginning of round 4. The depth wasn’t there. Plus, the Jets still had a 7 man draft class.

With that being said, I was pounding the table to Breece Hall. I don’t really care about the “value” given up with the 5th rounder or “value” in taking other positions that weren’t as needed. The Jets added another weapon for Zach, that’s what matters.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not commenting on Hall/AVT - but pretty much all of the evidence we have on drafting NFL prospects says the opposite of the bold. Trading up ends up being a bad move long term an overwhelming percent of the time because GMs often overrate their own ability to pick talent.

The Ravens consistently sit and wait and often have very good players drop to them. Coincidentally they're one of the most consistently good teams in the NFL.

HomeoftheJets, PJ4Ever and Br4d like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if trading down or waiting for the draft to come to us will be the strategy used when there's an established core in place.

jixxjr and cval like this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I feel like anlytics fails to take into account situations and schemes at a lot of points.

He was the fourth player drafted by us this year, fourth....it's crazy.

We have spent high capital on LT, LG, QB, WR X3, CB, DE in the last 3 years. We can afford to take a potential game changer for us for the next 4 years to help this team grow.

We are a run first offense. We want to play the run 35 times a game, having a double headed monster in hall and carter will allow this to happen and a higher potential for us to be successful at this.

Yeah, we spent a second and a fifth, it's not like carter is a bell cow.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

#29 apjbfc, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Jets79, PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In support of your point: there are several primary reasons that trading up is bad, however one of the most obvious is the injury factor. The NFL is an injury waiting to happen for every player who sets foot on the field, practice or otherwise.

When you trade up for a player you not only put more eggs in one basket than is wise but you also lower the quality of whoever is next man up - the guys you would have taken with the picks you bundled to trade up.

REVISion likes this.
  11. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I actually agree w you in theory, but Saints have been doing it for years and it’s working out for them so far. I agree not sustainable though.

12. NYJFOREVER

Trading up is bad when you empty the cupboard to do it, leaving you with 3 or 4 person draft classes ala Mike Tannenbaum.

Using a surplus of picks to move up the board to help your young QB isn't going to cripple the team long term.

amuck57, RochesterJet, cval and 3 others like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There were other QBs in that draft.

Wilson was not universally regarded as the best quarterback available when we picked him.

It was also a question if QB was the best value at that spot.

If you want to justify picking a position of need, keep in mind that we valued Wilson so highly we dumped the golden boy QB we went all in for a short time beforehand.

You would have a better case if we got him a few spots lower.

You have to work really hard to avoid overdrafting any player when you have the confidence to take them with the second overall pick.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. James Hasty

I must have missed something. Was it the Revis trade up or the Harris trade up that didn't meet your standards?

15. BroadwayAaron

So the argument here in theory is that instead of having a guy drafted in the 5th round as a backup, we’ll have someone drafted later or a UDFA backing up whoever gets hurt? I can’t ever imagine an NFL GM using that as a reason to not go get a stud playmaker.

cval, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The guy from PFF who said the Jets’ draft was bad bc of the B. Hall pick/trade up also did a vid for NFL titled “the best rookie landing spots”.

You’ll Never guess who was his RB of choice for being the best fit for immediate success and difference maker.

apjbfc and Brook! like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

I’m fine with trade ups. It was more so post 2008 that the trading up caught up with the Jets. 3 picks in 2009, bleh.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  18. James Hasty

I would rather have three all pro players than the Idzick twelve.

chrisrex, BudJet and cval like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. The draft that wasn’t. Forever known as Idzick worthless dozen.

James Hasty likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

I will never ever understand the analytic nerds in any sport but especially football. This is exactly why. There are SO many different variables when trying to decipher a good or bad move which apparently this dude understands… but he’s still sticking to his guns in saying that it was a bad move because of some numbers on a calculator. Analytics has its place in football, that place is not the start of the list.