Vince Young

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Apr 11, 2006.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Vince Young is a freak of nature. Some team is going to be very happy they drafted him. With that being said the reason why people are down on him is the unknown.

While he's a great runner and has probably an average nfl arm which shouldn't be a problem, no one really knows what kind of qb he'll be if you take away his ability to run which good nfl defenses will do. I've watched him in the Rose Bowl go through progressions and check down and make accurate throws. With that being said I felt like someone was always wide open. The issue that coaches have is can he run an nfl offense making 5 and 7 step drops and making the correct reads? No one can answer that. Most scouts agree that Leinart is very polished and will be able to do these things in the nfl.

Young is an unknown, but the things I see is that guy wins and he's extemetely competitive and just a special athlete. With that being said it's a very tough call if you spend the 4th pick on the draft on a player that's difficult to project 3 years from now. Also giving him $15-$20 million up front. That's why I think the Jets will pass.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

young's major negatives are:

a) side arm delivery
    b) wonderlic score (not to important)
    c) defenses are faster in the NFL
    d) whether he'll be able to go through all of his checks while in the pocket

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

a) It's not really sidearm, and he's 6'5" tall so it is likely a non-issue.
    b) probably not important (see Marino)
    c) are they slower for other QB's?
    d) This is something all college QB's have to deal with.

4. akibud

akibud Active Member

Your point about the money ..... is the only valid one I see for the JETS!!.. they will not want to afford Young ..... or Lienart..

5. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Or, sadly, when he comes in and defeats the Jets wearing another team's jersey.

There is already a quote I read by VY saying how it might be extra incentive when he plays a team that passed on him. That would be a very VY type quote.

The biggest thing that people miss: WINNING! He is one of the most competitive athletes ever. And its not like he was simply a product of a good system and rode the wave of talent to victories, good though Texas is as a program. He LED them to wins, including several 4th quarter comebacks where he put the team on his back.

His high school coach said, before he became the starter at Texas, "Watch. When he takes over that team. He will not let them lose!" I never forgot those words. His high school coach knew what he was talking about, just like I do now.

20 straight victories and a thrilling national championship later, I am a firm believer. The guy truly is legendary for his leadership and competitive will. The teams that pass on him will be sorry.

We're not just talking about an athlete here. We're talking about a leader and a winner.

#65 borna'horn, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They're going to have to pay anyone they draft at #4.

7. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

exactly right whoever is drafted at #4 will demand big bucks.we might as well get young or leinart enough said.