Vick is miles better than Sanchez and Geno,not even close

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by champmv7, Mar 23, 2014.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Like I said, Vick is the perfect stopgap backup QB for this team in its current state. If Geno shits the bed in the first half of the year then let Vick come in and see if he can salvage the season. However if you have Vick and Geno in an open comp and Vick wins well that's an entirely different story.

Then if Vick has an up and down year as a starter and Geno sits the bench this may only muddle the Jets long term future at this ever needed position even more. The Jets need to find out this year if Geno is their future. If he's not then they'll be looking for a QB early in the 2015 draft. However to have this question linger about "Is Geno our future franchise QB" beyond the 2014 season just sets this franchise back as we need to know in order to address the QB position long term.

The 1985er likes this.
  2. champmv7

champmv7 Member

Not quite Im an Eagles fan for life,but im still a fan of Vicks, Foles is just better. Happy Vick has a new team. He was a model citizen his entire time in philly. tebow has always been garbage.No comparison there. Im telling you now mark my word. He will be your starter if the Jets are serious about letting him compete against geno. He will beat out Geno with ease. This is why im laughing now cause i know it will happen.

3. champmv7

champmv7 Member

He only had one season as an Eagle where he was turning the ball over thats when the ENTIRE oline was injured yes we had lost 4/5 linemen for the season in 2012.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The problem is even if Vick beats out Geno for the job, he'll probably get hurt. He leaves himself open to injury way too much for someone who can't take those types of hits anymore.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is how young QB's get their shot a lot of the time. The aging vet who is obviously better goes down with an injury and they make the best of their opportunity. I don't see this as the big negative a lot of people do but I'm guessing I'm in the minority. If anything I see Vick being injury prone as more opportunities for Geno to prove himself. If he's ready to be the guy he has to prove it.

FJF likes this.
  6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I understand the logic of playing Vick because he's the better player. But we're rebuilding we need to see if Geno can be the guy going forward. Vick is an outstanding insurance policy in the event Geno stinks.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not too worried about this factor. I think if Vick clearly beats out Geno this year and stays healthy the odds are very high that the Jets are drafting a QB in 2015, assuming they did not draft a mid-rounder in 2014 who they are high on for some reason before the 2015 draft.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well if Geno can't beat out Vick I think that pretty much indicates Geno isn't the guy going forward, but that's just me.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Anybody else think the Vick creamer starting this thread should have picked a name without a 7 in it?

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Even if Geno is the QB of the future he should sit on the bench, come in for spot duty, and learn from Vick if Vick is the better player now.

We signed Michael Vick as a quarterback not as a coach.

Sure there is added value if he can help Geno Smith's development but we should absolutely not waste $5 mil of valuable cap space (that could have been used for a much needed upgrade at guard or safety) by benching Vick just in case starting him might somehow hurt Geno Smith's feelings.

Big Blocker likes this.
  11. The 1985er

Foles got beat out by Vick last year.

All Gas No Shake and nycarl like this.
  12. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Yes he did, and it didn't seem to hamper his development into a quality starting QB... but I think your argument is, that Geno can improve and beat out Vick eventually.

nycarl likes this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

It will be nice to see how this team does, with a competent QB, considering the horror show, we've had over the last 5 seasons

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It took for Vick to get injured for this to happen.

Let the best man win the job. Hopefully that's Geno, I believe everyone wants Geno to win the job.

15. The 1985er

It's not farfetched to me that Geno could beat out Vick.

DMSMaven and MikeSLTJ23 like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That is like saying, "It is not far fetched for the Jets to win the Superbowl this year without adding any more play makers on offense."

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Vick's old and not that good. Plain and simple. He's put up one magical season (12 games worth). He was a joke in Atlanta. Couldn't read a defense. Don't think that's changed much. Now he's older, so he can't move like he used to, and he has a rocket of an inaccurate arm to put the ball in a DB's arms faster. He may very well win the job, but anyone that thinks Vick is light years ahead of Geno are in for a rude awakening because you clearly haven't watched enough of him and focus strictly on his potential (at this age, no less!)

DMSMaven likes this.
  18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Geno Smith literally went an entire month without completing double digit passes last season. That's pathetic, and while he did improve to end the season it wasn't like he was lighting it up against the mostly porous teams we were facing. Though it all, he still has terrible footwork and rarely (for an NFL QB) took snaps from under center. Unless Geno shows up to camp looking like a different guy Vick is going to smoke him.

Vick beat out Nick Foles last year, I'm pretty sure he can handle everything Geno Smith has to offer.

74 likes this.
  19. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I actually won't argue with this. Geno showed some potential, but he might also be terrible. My biggest issue is that people think Vick is some superstar. He has superstar talent, and the mental capacity of a 10 year old.

DMSMaven likes this.
  20. The 1985er

Which is true. So what is your "point"?