Very Happy that Curtis is staying.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets317, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If he had held out, he would have been cut. If Chad holds out, he's gone too. Expect Martin to do what's best for him at this stage of his career. It plays well in the media that Curtis decided to "restructure", but if it only amounts to an extension, then the team has wasted a golden opportunity to dump salary in a rebuilding year.

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well not necesarily, he could have no bonuses what so ever and only stretch his salary over those few years.

3. Cman68

Ok, then move him to RB coach or AC in '07. I think it all depends on just how far the Jets extended Martin. This could come back to haunt us when we're competitive again and need to sign a UFA at some point.

4. Cman68

True. It would be nice to have some details on this as well. I still think a release, then resign him at a lower salary would have been the way to go here. If the Raiders can release Marcus Allen, the Cowboys release Emmit Smith, the Jets can release Curtis Martin.

5. lightning

lightning Active Member

well the raiders had no reason to release allen, that was an al davis masterpiece of a move

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

2006 will be the last year he's here, so you only have to put up with his presense for another year :) . I have no doubt about that. But for this coming year, I think it's important to keep him around.

7. Cman68

Still, I just think this sets a horrible precedent for Chad here. If they EXTENDED Martin, Chad will be looking for something similar. No paycut, cap hit put off AGAIN...

Business as usual in the Jets FO. Geeze, I really hope I'm wrong about this..

8. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well hopefully if this is true, i'd rather they commit to curtis than to chad.

9. Cman68

One year isn't bad. Then bring him on as RB Coach if he wants or give him some job in the organization. He really doesn't have to work another day in his life.

I just got a bad feeling that the Jets passed on a golden opportunity to dump salary in a year we won't amount to much. If they've extended him beyond 2 years, that's a huge mistake and it will cost this team down the road.

If they do the same with Chad then what?

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Chads gone. I'm convinced that they'll take Cutler at #4, and they sign Aaron Brooks to back him up.

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Well hopefully it was a paycut.

12. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

The way he talked it sounded as if he took a paycut, it is good to keep him around, will help with younger players and can make the transition to coaching or Office work and stick with the organization