Unsubstantiated rumour from SD sports bar

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, Apr 14, 2006.

1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

On the one hand, I feel like we could get a more important piece with that pick... but on the other, I think Vernon Davis is as talented as anybody in the draft. Ive seen him play a few times, and I think hes gonna be a star, especially if hes brought into a system like Schottenheimers, which really allows TEs to get a lot of grabs.

But the only way I make that pick is if either A, Mario Williams and D'Brickashaw Ferguson are off the board, or B, I feel like Adrian Jones can be a high quality if not top level LT and Shaun Ellis can be a top DE on a consistent basis and Im going to get a top RT with the 29th pick. Mario Williams and Ferguson are on the same talent level and play more important positions than Davis, the only way you take Davis is if you cant take one of those guys, or you feel like you dont need players at that position.

2. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

If Vernon Davis is the 4th pick of the draft I'll throw up. We know our history with 1st round tight ends gentleman. And when you have a chance to grab a franchinse qb if Leinart does in fact fall, or a guy with freakish skills like Mario Williams or even a supposed bookend like D'brickshaw (and I don't even want to draft a tackle that low with all the depth at the O-Line in this draft) then you don't pass on that for a TIGHT END. Tight End...we can survive with a Baker/Jolley combo rather then pass on these guys for a tight end. It's not that pivital of a position, and would just be another draft blunder by the New York Jets. I can see myself now getting laughed at yet again by my friends when we watch the draft.

By the way...how funny is that clip they play of people making fun of Mel Kiper Jr.

3. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Exactly how I feel. I really feel like we can't go wrong this year in the draft, but who knows.. after all we did take Bryan Thomas a few years back.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

that would be just another wonderful bite to add to that "jet draft history" film.....

there are 2 ways i would like for davis to become a jet....

1. trade down.....#4 is too high and a trade down 3-4 spots would garner another day one pick...

2. the jets use this guy like a hybrid TE/WR - much like shockey is used with the giants.

if those 2 things are happening then davis would be a good pick.

jil

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

We had a good one in the 60s named Pete Lammons

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What about Mickey Shuler?

7. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Let us get some coffe in our systems before bringing that up again. There was talk of maybe moving him to LB. Worth a shot, ain't it? 1 1/2 sacks a year for a #1 isn't cutting it. Actually, if he AVERAGED 1 1/2 sacks a year that would be a drastic improvement.

8. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I would like to trade down to get Davis but who do u trade down to get Davis unless the 49ers want a olb to get Hawk cause he should be going to green bay with the 5th pick.

9. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I live near Buffalo and I heard a few guys, I think Ralph was one of the guys names and the other was hmmmmm Oh Marv. They were talking about trading Willis to the Jets for Derik Strait and Cavaka.. They sounded very reliable..DUDE GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

What part of him stating in his initial post, let alone the topic name, that this is just a rumor. At least he has reason to mention this. Its better than the random topics we see that literally have no truth, fact, or reasoning behind them like "Mario Williams will be a Jet", "We will not draft ______", etc. People should have to pass a literacy test before theyre allowed to post on here.

11. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Agreed 100%. I'd like to see where all of the guys clammoring for Heath Miller last year (before our trade) are now. I understand that this situation is different (with a much higher draft choice at stake), but in order to disagree, I don't understand why people need to use hyperbole's such as "TE is the least important position" and "the Jets can never draft a TE in the first round because of history".

First of all, yes, the Jets have had bad luck with TE's in the past. I don't see why past luck in the draft should affect our current draft choices. I don't care if Kyle Brady and Becht were not what we were expecting, that was no one on this current team's fault. Give it up already.

Second, just because some teams don't utilize a tight end doesn't mean that a TE is unimportant in general. As PRPitbull stated, if a good TE's full potential is realized, they can drive an offense forward, taking coverage off of the WR's to open them up more. It makes for a much more even passing game, and one which could greatly benefit our system. Not only that, but our protection for the quarterback increases with a good blocking TE. Davis can bring the full package and then some. An argument above was made saying that even the best TE's weren't up with the best WR's in yards. Well gesss what, they do more than just recieve! If Super Mario is off the board, I see no reason why not to draft Davis. He will most likely be gone by pick 6 regardless, only 2 picks lower than us. It's not much of a reach, if any at all. Anyone who thinks that Jones is good enough at LT should love this pick if Mario is off the board. If you think that D'Brick is the next Orlando Pace than I understand your argument, but otherwise this man can change an offense.

Has anyone else seen him play? If you haven't or are not sold, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq5g7O9YvwQ&search=vernon davis

The man has great hands, is a good blocker with all the tools to become elite, and is supposedly also a class act. Like I said, if the Saints take Mario and Leinart is gone, he's my pick.

12. Hazardous Waters

Armaggedon!

13. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

That video is pretty impressive. He is really just a huge, strong wide receiver.

14. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

repeat after me kyle brady vernon davis.

15. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Oh yeah, i see all the similarities...