Unsubstantiated rumour from SD sports bar

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, Apr 14, 2006.

1. phatnols

phatnols Member

come on please its a BAR rumor. Give me 6 more beers and I can give great stories so you are going to listen to, so and so, at the bar. I find it hard to believe the Jets have Vernon Davis #4 overall on their draft board. It could be 2 or 3 depending on who falls on their draft board but this rumore cant be. Also TE is a garbage position not many TE's get 1000 yrds 80 catches and in their rookie yrs(how many get over 600 yrds)? TE is like the safety position on defense its important but not the foundation, at #4 overall we should get foundation positions and TE is not one of them.
    unless they are thinking of trading down.....but where is the safe spot if thats their pick....I guess they have to wait a week, and I dont see SF trading up.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

tell that to gates or gonzalez and the teams that play them....who cares if te is SUPPOSED to be the most insignificant position, if they feel davis can be as good or better than gates, you have to take him no questions asked. An awesome playmaking te can do wonders for a struggling offense

3. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

I would hate if they took him at 4. There will be better players still on the board. Trading down 3-5 spots fine, just not at #4. Good thing Schott Jr has limited input on personal.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

O-line Please!

5. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Gates had 1101 yards and 10 TDs, and Gonzalez had 905 yards and 2 TDs. They are widely considered the two best offensive TEs, usually by FAR. Meanwhile about 15 WRs did quite a bit better, and about 10 more were comparable, if not more. So at TE, from an offensive standpoint, you have a mediocre WR at best.

But TE can also give you a blocking edge. We had that before, in the form of Anthony Becht, but we sent him packing for some reason. If all we want is blocking though, we should just get an extra tackle and stick them on at the end.

Also note that both of the above teams did not make the playoffs, but even if they did, you'd have to heavily credit the two monster RBs those teams had.

Take care of O-line and QB, and the rest will almost always fall into place. At O-line, all you really need is a mediocre one, but if you have a great QB, pretty much all the other skill position players will benefit. A QB is very similar to the Point Guard position in basketball, his greatness is not always measured in stats.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was at a bar in Jacksonville last night and heard Kyle Brady is coming back to the JETS :breakdance:

7. genom

genom Active Member

Honestly, what input could a first year offensive coordinator possibly have in terms of our first ever pick in the first draft with Tangini. Makes absolutely no sense in my eyes.

8. phatnols

phatnols Member

this rumor is almost as equivalent to that. I like Vernon Davis but I dont think he is a top 5 pick. If they pick him at 4.......

1st is that the highest a TE was picked ever....it has to be(I will look it up) ... just on top of my head. We stink and we need a foundation and this wont be a foundation pick

2nd is Vernon Davis the next Gonzalez or Gates? 10% chance in my mind..... I think there are other players we have rated on our draft board.

3rd What team has the most 1st rnd TE busts, we have to be it.... Mitchell(is that it the guy from Nebraska, god its been so long and I thought he would be good), Brady, Becht is there others? You cant go by history but I would feel like a 30 beer day after a Vernon Davis #4 overall pick.

9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I tried to make it clear that it was just a bar rumour, that may or may not have any basis in reality. However, in the NE drafting scheme each coordinator gets a chance to make a case for "their guy", and build their board that way. So, if Schott is sold on Davis he could have a significant amount of input on the pick

10. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Chris Baker was in the middle of a breakout year last season, we are set at TE.

11. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

a couple of them are getting nasty with you because youre not telling them what they want to hear like "were gonna draft Mario, Cutler, Matt, insert name here." I think you've made it pretty clear that this is all speculation but some people just dont read well.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Give the guy a break. I don't think he's on here bullshitting us. We'll all find out where we go in the draft on April 29th

13. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

How you figure? 269 yds and 1 td is a breakout year? Your standards are pretty low.

He had one good game last year, and that was the opener against KC where Chad's mighty cannon arm was exposed for what it was, so he started throwing short passes to Baker. He had 124 yds and 1 td.

In the next 7 games before his season ending injury, he had 145yds and no tds. Those arent "breakthrough" numbers for anyone.

Why is it people think certain positions on this team are pretty much locked up and couldnt possibly be upgraded? The only players IMO who have their positions on lock are Vilma, Barton, Ellis and Coles. Every other position can be upgraded.

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

We've had bad luck with TE's in ANY round :sad:

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Quite a distortion. Actually, Gates was #15 in yards an #5 in touchdowns but only 2 away from the NFL lead. Plus he did not even play the first game. In terms of yards he was all of 45 yards from #10. So what you have actually is one of the top 10 RECEIVERS in all of football, not somewhere like 25 which you insinuate. From the TE position. Davis could very possibly be better than Gates. If you were told you could get a Top 10 RECEIVER in all the NFL with the #4 pick you would jump on it all day. That is why you have to consider Davis at 4. He is a true impact player.

16. genom

genom Active Member

Not even trying to bust the guy's balls. I just can't picture a first year offensive coordinator having significant input on the #4 pick of the draft.

17. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

if any input at all.

18. phatnols

phatnols Member

If we picked Vernon Davis at 4 he would be the highest drafted TE ever.

I am not sure we would want to take that chance. It all depends on our FO rankings, Bush has to be up there, Leinart.... but I cant see Davis as our number 4 choice. The good thing is nobody knows who is our 4th BPA avialable without trading. As an educated guess I think M Williams is rated ahead of Davis.

DBrick, Hawk, Young? I am unsure of. but if they pick Davis that high.......WOW. he will be the highest drafted TE ever and I guess we passed on DBrick.

19. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

also, a good TE can make a mediocre WR pretty damn good. Look at Eddie Kennison. Hes had a couple 1000yd seasons because of the coverage TOGO draws. Dont doubt the perks of a great TE.

I can understand people knocking average TEs who dont bring to much to the field, but guys like TOGO, Gates, Crumpler and Shockey have made an impact. They made average WRs look good, open up the running game, and elevated sporatic QBs.

In the case of Vernon Davis, were looking at a kid who has monster written all over him. People can acknowledge freakish physicals numbers when it comes to Mario Williams, but they ignore it for Vernon Davis. Its not like were arguing over drafting Heath Miller in the early rounds, were talking bout a kid here who shatters the mold.

Also, the whole argument that TE's arent that important is ridiculous. If youre 1 of 11 guys stepping onto that field in an attempt to score or prevent a score, thats pretty damn important. I remember a year ago someone said OG is the least important position on the offense. Tell that to Steve Hutchinson. Anyone who can be a beast at his position is helluva important to his team, whether its a road grading FB or an excellent nickel corner.

I for one want D'Brick, but if the Jets want to accumulate more picks, im for trading down and getting Vernon

20. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

No, I personally wouldn't. I don't build a football team with WRs, or rather, if I was a GM I would not. If you told me I could get a top 10 QB, I'd jump on that, but you look around at the teams that have won Super Bowls in the past 10 years, and they haven't exactly been stocked with top 10 WRs.

I don't see how that's a distortion. You can mess around with a lot of people's numbers to drive them up and down the rankings if you wanted to, but that's an exercise in pointlessness. Either way, you have a man that is the absolute best at his position and....you want to make a case that he's within the top 10 of recievers in the NFL? Why not go for one of the top 5, who are all WRs instead if you really want a recieving threat? Or hell, just looking at it percentage wise, you have a 10% representation of TEs in the top 10, no matter where you want to rank Gates there, if I wanted to give you that. Considering even your best WR will get maybe 10 passes thrown his way a game, why not have a balanced recieiving group and a great QB to throw to them? And considering it's much more difficult to get a good TE than a good WR, you're going to build that recieving set with WRs much faster than a TE and....you'd still need WRs anyway.