Undrafted Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-Kay, Apr 26, 2009.

1. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

A few pieces away? Did you watch the collapse last season or were you locked up? I for one and looking forward to playing STRONG defense ALL SEASON.

Anyway, we signed a UDFA WR: Britt Davis Northern Illinois

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/page/2/

Posted: March 27th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Derek Pegues, Larry English, Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Rob Myers, Utah State

Northern Illinois was among three teams holding pro day workouts on Friday, and that meant DE/LB Larry English (6-2 1/2, 251 pounds) was front and center.

The pro day featured 11 players performing indoors on Astroturf with rubber pebbles, with Green Bay director of college scouting John Dorsey running the drills. Carolina Panthers GM Marty Hurney and director of college scouting Don Gregory were in attendance, as well as Trent Baalke, the director of player personnel for the 49ers.

English had times of 4.74 and 4.79 in the 40-yard dash and he posted a 9-foot, 7-inch broad jump. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine, but did position drills as a defensive end and dropped back into coverage.

In Pat Kirwan?s latest mock draft, he has English being selected in the second round by the Miami Dolphins.

Two wide receivers, Britt Davis and Matt Simon, had strong workouts.

Davis (6-2 5/8, 211) posted times of 4.50 and 4.51 in the 40-yard dash, 4.27 in the short shuttle and 7.14 in the three-cone drill. He recorded a 33-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump and 16 strength lifts.

Simon (6-1 3/8, 199) ran a 4.49 and 4.51 in the 40-yard dash, 4.41 short shuttle and 7.14 three-cone drill. Simon added a 36-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump and 14 reps on the bench.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Wow this guy sucks...
    Receiving
    Year G/GS Rec. Yds. Avg. TD Lg Yds/Gm
    2005 12/9 42 441 10.5 3 38 36.8
    2006 13/13 57 731 12.8 3 41 56.2
    2007 9/9 33 391 11.8 2 45 43.4
    2008 12/3 14 113 8.1 0 18 9.4
    Career 46/34 146 1676 11.5 8 142 36.4

3. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

From what I read, he had a injury in 2007 which took him a year to recover from. 2006 looks like what got him most of his hype.

Earned Honorable Mention All-MAC accolades after leading team with school sophomore record 57 receptions for 731 yards and three touchdowns. Amassed 1,069 all-pupose yards, second-best on the team, and recorded each of the team's three 100-yard receiving games

4. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Nice to see Emanuel Cook on the roster, finally a Gamecock (first since JAbe) I wouldn't give great odds on him making it, he's not a pro prospect IMO.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

E-Cook is most definitely a pro prospect - he slid because of poor personal choices and an awful combine.

He was one of the best safeties in the SEC, which is the best conference in college football.

Cook has game speed and he hits like a truck...

6. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

Here is some video on Cook #21. National Football had him ranked as the 4th best SS coming out this year. With Elam gone he has a good shot at sticking. He slipped due to character issues with a dropped gun charge.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61f-HtywZkg&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Why do you say that? We don't have a lot of depth at S and he seems to be a physical player like Ryan wants...

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I did some digging (which I should do before I give an opinion) he actually led the Gamecocks in tackles last season. With the other big names who did get drafted, I guess I didn't give him the credit. (Brinkley, Munnerlin, etc)

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

South Carolina's defense is full of talent - Jasper Brinkley was their leader, but Cook was definitely their best defensive back.

E-Cook is a flat out badass on the field. He hits to kill...

Another guy to look out for in 2010 is SC's linebacker Eric Norwood - very versatile 'backer that can play inside and out in the 3-4. Overall, Norwood was probably the Gamecock's best defensive player.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Mr. E, how do you feel about Tavita Thompson? I know he blocked on the line that helped Quizz have such a great freshman season, but I really don't remember him much.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I remember there was a big deal in the Pac-10 about him getting suspended for taking some kind of HydroxyCut kinda shit...he was an up-and-coming prospect that somewhat blew it by getting suspended -- it wasn't like he was taking steroids or anything though.

I don't know much about him - Andy Levitre was the best player on the Beavers line, but Thompson was huge for the passing game - apparently, he's a very good pass blocker.

This doesn't look like that promising of a signing, but it's always good to have A LOT of offensive linemen in camp.

Kyle Link and Ryan McKee have much better chances...

#151 Mr Electric, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...it's not all about the stats. NI is a run heavy team with mediocre QB play.

I don't think Britt Davis has much of a shot, but don't automatically assume that he sucks because of poor stats. He was very good a few years ago as a #3 receiver.

13. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

14. nyjets4ever01

nyjets4ever01 New Member

Hey guys-
    just in regards to Tommy Breaux the WR out of Towson, I go to Towson and I will sya he is a very talented player. The numbers are not too good or flashy but they are decent considering this pas t season was only his second season of organized football. He made some great catches this past season from a QB who was horrible for the most part, he is very very physical when he gets the ball, he can really get up in the air in the red zone when the ball is thrown his way, and at 6'8 plus his vertical and speed he would be a great pick up for the Jets.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Dude, everyone who's all doom and gloom about this team is clearly forgetting our 5-0 run and wins over New England, Tennessee, Arizona, and Miami. Yes, we collapsed down the stretch, but that doesn't mean we didn't have a great team. Remember when we were talked about as the favorite to make the Superbowl from the AFC? Because I do. If we'd had a NT to spell Jenkins, maybe he wouldn't have been so run down by the end of the year. If we had merely an average QB down the stretch, we wouldn't have had Favre losing games left and right. If we'd gotten a consistent pass rush, maybe we force more turnovers. If we'd had more aggressive play calling, maybe we beat San Francisco and Seattle.

Coming into this draft, I thought the Jets were really close to being an upper echelon team. I thought the defense would be leaps and bounds ahead of last year's dissapointment, not just because of the new players in Leonhard, Sheppard, and Scott, but because Rex Ryan knows how to make a defense nasty, aggressive, and strong. He would utilize Gholston, Thomas, Harris, and Pace in places where they could succeed. And in fortifying the secondary, we'd improve a struggling pass defense. But then we dumped Laveraneus Coles. I know it was a cap conscious move, but he was a great wide receiver. And Brett Favre leaving, I thought, was a good thing, because even with an "average" QB under center, which is what I thought Kellen Clemens could be, we'd revert to a smash-mouth running style.

Going into the draft I figured we had a handful of clear needs. Getting a WR that could start from Day 1 was perhaps the top concern. When we traded up for Sanchez, I didn't like the move, and that's no surprise. Looking back, I understand where its coming from, but I feel like it created another hole, at defensive end. Now we needed impact players who could compete for a job at two positions.

When we traded up to get Shonn Greene, I was stunned. Jarron Gilbert was available, and he would be able to step right in at defensive end. Worse yet, we'd squandered any chance at a wide receiver who could start opposite Jerricho, especially when there are 70 catches and 850 yards to replace. Unlike many of you, I'm not ready to anoint Stuckey as a starter. So that's where I'm coming from. I think we put ourselves in a better position to win, in, say 2011, but I think we could've easily made this team a winner in 2009, and failed to do just that.

17. ........

........ Trolls

I figured one of the two was the pick. I wasn't disappointed that it was Greene. Again, our RB coach felt he was the best RB in the entire draft.

Stuckey is a starter...in the slot. He's not going to move out to the #2 spot. Apparently, we like what we have in the other receivers on the roster, or we're planning to make a move in free agency. Receivers are particularly difficult to gauge, so it's possible that Clowney could be ready to start and we as fans are unaware. I'm not banking on that, but I'd assume we have a plan to address the issue.

18. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

Jets Sign Keith Fitzhugh SS Miss State

SS, Keith Fitzhugh, Mississippi St.
    At A Glance
    Position 1: Strong Safety Height: 5-10
    Position 2: Free Safety Weight: 210
    Class: Senior Age:
    Projected Round: 6th 40time: 4.56

Pros: Adequate height and solid muscular build for a strong safety. ... Plays near the line often, attacking plays like a linebacker. Fares well in the deep half. ... Very reliable tackler who can break down in space or close quickly.

Cons: Is not a stout strong safety in the Bob Sanders mold but doesn't fit anywhere else in the defensive backfield.

Styg's Broncos Fit: Another versatile tweener limited by tight hips and marginal feet. Not quite enough range to be a lone threat in the backfield, but is a solid line of defense and a secure tackler. His explosiveness is good, but his athleticism should limit him to a strong-safety role in run support. His experience at corner and a solid zone background could make him a great depth target.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coqu8Jw9RjQ&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jq5vSAlNE&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

From "Drafting for the Future" at Turf Show Times:

He has decent but not great size but is a maximum effort player and stands out on game film. Has great instincts but has average or slightly below average speed. However he plays faster than he times or looks and can surpise you. Would be a valuable run stopper/special teams player who could possibly be a 6th round pick due to his size and speed.

Highlights:

More Highlights.
    Scouting Reports and Offsite Links:

* Possesses a strong, well-built frame with good overall muscle tone and girth in his lower body. Does a nice job breaking down and wrapping up in space. A former corner with good ball skills and awareness down the field. Has the ability to play the center field-type role. Possesses good straight-line speed and range. Displays smooth footwork and balance in and out of his breaks. Natural in man and zone coverage. [see more...]
    * He's very active and has a quick trigger to come up and fit vs. the run. About as sure a tackler as you'll find, played extremely hard. Made a couple mistakes in coverage and doesn't appear to be as instinctive against the pass, but has a lot of tools to work with and showed tremendous potential. Great on Special Teams. [see more...]
    * Fitzhugh began his college career as a cornerback for the Bulldogs, but found his home at strong safety as a sophomore. He stayed there through his senior year, when he made 50 tackles, 2.5 for loss and two interceptions. His all-around game and toughness will earn him a shot in the NFL on defense and special teams. Switched his jersey from #1 to #22 for the game against Southeastern Louisiana after teammate Jamar Chaney went down with injury early in 2008; he switched back to continue his tribute to his deceased sister. [see more...]

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3...zhugh-mississi

19. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

Apparently Tommy Breaux didn't get a call from us. I have a source says he was offered by the Redskins, Ravens, and Giants.

NVM, just saw he's latched on with the 'Skins.

20. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

Did your source say what they paid him? Apparently from what I read on another board, the Jets do not like to pay their UDFA's much, and that seems to be why they are loosing out on some of the better leftover talent.