Tyreek Hill traded to Dolphins for five draft choices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sack exchange, Mar 23, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a shutdown corner anymore. All the rules favor the receiver. Just watch the past Superbowl and watch supposedly one the best CB get burned constantly.

You do not have to be a great corner to cover someone for less than 2 sec that is why pass rusher is more important.

Dinking and dunking is more about the TE and backs so safety and LB become more important.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Some more on the trade from yesterday. Interesting interview with Tyreek Hill’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus…

I like the comment that JD was phenomenal to work with….

Looks like it was just Tyreek’s preference to “go back home”. He had his choice, nothing else. He really had no connection to jets staff, as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#582 Sack exchange, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

given the option, he preferred miami. that doesnt mean that he didnt want to play here.

if the jets made a better offer, he would not have had an option.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The option of him not resigning with the Jets would still have been there no matter what the Jets offer was to KC. I don't see how you can make a huge deal for a player knowing he won't sign an extension. How is that smart?

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

because, as i explained, no one in their right mind would turn down $72 mill guaranteed just to play year to year and still make less

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a matter of semantics. No one that I know of was rooting for the Jets to actively tank. Some of us fans were hoping that they'd lose, but I don't think any of us were wanting the Jets to do anything intentionally to try to lose. There's a big difference. There's even a difference in starting rookies and young players the last few games of a season to see what they can do and give them some experience, and doing what Jacksonville did and benching their healthy starting QB and playing their 2nd or 3rd string veteran QB. We sure weren't wanting Woody to bribe JD and Gase to throw games.

7. bicketybam

We can go round and round. Hill wanted to play where he lives. How much more money would it take to compensate for that? Then you have the state income tax issue. So in your mind to get him to choose the Jets it would take us signing him for QB money. Or we could have traded even more that was already offered so the Chiefs would take out deal over Miami's and force the guy to play under the franchise tag.

Agree to disagree. I think you're out of your mind.

8. NCJetsfan

You don't know that. JD could have called to inquire about Hill's availability and was told that the Dolphins had made an offer, and told JD what that offer was. JD could have then made his better offer. Hill may never have even been involved up to that point. I think he could have been torn a little because of Tua being so bad, and Zach having a much better arm, but Hill is the type he's gonna go for more money (no state income tax) and home rather than somewhere else, but perhaps not. The negotiations could have been more complex than that and Hill could have just been using the Jets to get more money from the Dolphins.

9. NCJetsfan

That's not even close to correct. Hill negotiated with the FO in KC and got the right to choose where he would be traded. Period. It wouldn't have mattered what we offered to KC. As it is, our offer was better and KC liked it more. If it was up to KC, they would have taken our offer. You're wrong. Drop your agenda.

Sack exchange likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You totally misunderstood what I was saying. The reality over the last 10 years has been that no great FAs would sign with us except Mosely, and we had to grossly overpay him. The best FAs have used the Jets to get more money from another team, then signed with that team. The only FAs we've been able to sign up until last year were older players and had to overpay them a ton to get them to sign here.

JD is bringing in good players. He signed Lawson, Davis and Joyner last year, and a bunch of good players this year. There's a difference between "good" and "great" players, however. None of the great players this year signed with us. We tried to sign Thuney twice. Last year we tried to sign the two TEs that signed with NE. Whether you want to accept it or not, a lot of very good, great players will not sign with us until we turn things around and start winning.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

And the rules don't favor the QB not getting hit?

Even elite pass rushers can almost never get to the QB in 2-3 seconds unless someone blows a blocking assignment.

I've done this analysis a few times here but if you look at the elite defenses in the NFL over the last few years you'll find that they more commonly have good secondaries than good pass rushes.

12. REVISion

NC doesn't look at JD's moves on their own merits. He looks at the moves and then figures out how they can be spun to reflect positively on JD. Same with Wilson.

PJ4Ever, ouchy and All Gas No Shake like this.
  13. bicketybam

He was responding to me. So let me ask you. What would have been your offer to Kansas City and what would you have offered Hill to entice him to sign an extension with us?

14. REVISion

Ah, I assumed he was responding to NC because of NC's response to that comment. My bad. I agree with you on this topic.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I missed out on all this drama yesterday! Must have been an intense hour for Jets fans. I would have liked Hill, especially for #35, #38 and #69, but I am also fine with not getting him too. This is the aggression we have been waiting for from Joe Douglas. He wasn't able to pull it off yesterday, but it is nice to see the Jets starting to make moves or at least attempt them. It's time to win. Players don't want to come here yet, but if this team can start winning in 2022 and Zach Wilson shows his ability, players will love to come here.

Now the Jets need to use a top pick on a WR and sign a free agent WR and roll into the 2022 season with that. Possibly draft a CB to cover some of these WR's in the AFC East too. :)

Don't look at yesterday as a negative though, as it actually was a pretty big positive.

PJ4Ever and Sack exchange like this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Rams got to Burrow a number of times in the Super Bowl. Was that because of great coverage or did they pressure him well? I didn't keep track, so I can't say one way or the other.

17. REVISion

Combination of the Rams having a hall of fame pass rusher and the Bengals having an awful OL.

Also the Bengals started the game getting rid of the ball very quickly which is when their offense had a lot of success. They got away from that as the game went on and the wheels started to come off because of it.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd love to have a shutdown CB like Revis, but I've always thought an elite pass rush is better to have than secondary since the latter can only cover for so long. IIRC, Ramsey got burned a few times in the game.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I have not crunched the numbers but having a good secondary is different than having elite corners.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Hope he rots in mediocrity and front office drama.

LAJet and The Dark Knight like this.