Tyreek Hill traded to Dolphins for five draft choices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sack exchange, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes I do think CB and S are needs, but everything we’ve seen from JD says we don’t pick DBs high…we had nothing last year and we didn’t take one before the fifth round…and guess what…they held up better than expected.

I see these mocks and just think they haven’t done any homework on JD

I don’t think we’re taking a DB with either of our two first rounders…I think we’re going edge and receiver just not sure which one first…and then maybe DB or OL in round 2

Borat and REVISion like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yea…those stupid wins costing us draft position have been super frustrating

but just as bad are these kinds of decisions based on “value” that cost us good players…sometimes you need to draft the guy you want even if it may be a bit of over drafting…I’m worried that we get too cute on receiver because of that value analysis…Mims vs Jefferson is a great example…I really wanted a receiver in free agency PLUS a drafted guy…we whiffed as there were guys available and we didn’t get anybody…now that means we have less room for error in the draft

I’m not as sold on Zach as many others are, but we need to get him a bunch more help…I like the two TEs and the OL should be better too, but our WR group is thin and we’re counting on three guys who have missed time last year…risky

JetsKickAss, Borat and REVISion like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is why those stupid meaningless wins the last few years are so maddening. Picking a CB at 4 means passing up an EDGE, which we desperately need also and which we'd already have in Bosa if we had anyone pragmatic in the building. It also means passing up an OL which increases the likelihood of Becton's unreliability biting us. We could make up for one of those positions we don't pick at 4 at 10 but we pretty much have to take a WR there, which we wouldn't need nearly as badly had we taken Van Jefferson over Mims.

And who did we get for the trade back that left us stuck with Mims? James Morgan and Cameron Clark, neither of whom is on the team anymore.

Poeman and Jets79 like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

man that 2020 draft was god awful…if Becton doesn’t come back then it’s basically just Hall…a good CB yes but man what a disaster.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. We added Reed, and Echols and Dunn have a year's experience and Hall has another year of experience. We're not going to be able to fill all our holes/needs this year. CB can wait. Getting WRs and developing Zach is much more important both in terms of winning and our future.

cval, PJ4Ever and Poeman like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

One or two drafts don't determine a pattern or what JD will or won't do. It's misguided imo to try to claim otherwise. Just because he hasn't taken a CB early yet, doesn't mean that he won't. In 2020, it was a totally different regime with different priorities. We still had a TON of holes last year and Saleh said that he didn't have to have early round CBs in his system, and he agreed that the offense needed to be addressed early, so JD addressed offense early. He could take both early this year, but I doubt he will, nor should he. You don't stop a passing attack with DBs. Even the best DBs in the NFL can only keep their man covered for 3-4 seconds. You can only hope to slow down a passing attack with a strong pass rush.

We have to get two WRs in this draft that is more important than any DB. JD couldn't help that there wasn't much available in FA at WR, and he wasn't going to panic and overpay in a trade or FA signing. That basically left us with no choice but to address WR in the draft. We need a topnotch Edge prospect. That is 10x more important than any DB. We also need a DT, RB, and OL depth more than we need another CB.

IMO he should not draft a CB at all this year. I think he should draft a S in the 2nd round. We have less depth there, lesser quality depth, and Joyner is coming off a major injury. IMO the 1st round should be Edge and WR, and the 2nd round should be S and either WR or DT. With the remaining 5 picks, there should be a LB, RB, TE, at least one, if not two OL. JD and Saleh may have different priorities however.

#566 NCJetsfan, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    cval likes this.
  7. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

That is my biggest problem with JD that draft was awful!

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Even the best DB's can only keep their man covered for 3-4 seconds? What about the fact that most QB's get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds on average?

CB is less important than DT, RB, and OL depth? Lol.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Honestly we have a lot of areas we need to address. 4, 10, 35, 38 sound like they need to hit big time for JD for us to get out of the same losing cycle.
    I would love KT at 4 too, not sure if he will be there

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with you and thankfully so did JD. Get good players. Win football games. This isn’t rocket science. I fucking hate the “oh we’re not close to competing so we can’t get good players,” what a terrible mentality. Guess that’s what happens when you don’t make the Playoffs for 11 years

KingRoach likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Unfortunately the forums are one big blur now so this is gonna keep happening...

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Have you been under a rock the last 3 years? Holy shit.

Ralebird and Red Menace like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

90% of this forum have been rooting for jets to lose games just to move up in the draft, then are upset that team is a joke!

Ralebird and dawinner127 like this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

No way I give up 34/38/69 and $25 mil in cap space for a 28 year old speedster. Not happening.

Stick to the plan a build through the draft!!

REVISion and amuck57 like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

hill was only given the option to choose between the jets and the dolphins because JD simply matched the fins offer. if he blew away KC by offering something like the 10th overall pick, 3rd and 2023 4th and 5th, then KC doesn’t even ask hill where he wants to go and he’s on the jets.

as far as the contract extension goes, hill had no leverage. he was under contract for $20 mill next year and franchising him twice after that would actually pay him less than we supposedly offered him in the first three years of an extension … there’s no way he’s traded here and decides to turn down all that money just to play the tag game and get paid less

just another missed opportunity

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you wanted us to give up all of that to get a guy that didn't want to be here? He could have just held out and refused to play under the tag. Meanwhile we are out all those draft picks.

It seems like you are just looking for ways to pin this on Douglas.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you cannot hold out anymore. the fines are extremely punitive. his options were limited

he clearly didn’t mind playing here or his team wouldn’t have negotiated with the jets

it seems like you are looking for ways do defend douglas’ every move

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you are in favor of trading all that draft capital for a guy that doesn't want to play here. Yikes.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.