Twitter: Jets to Sign OG James Carpenter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Mar 9, 2015.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Franklin is getting 7.3 M per from SD.

So in Franklin SD landed an elite guy who has been improving every year, a guy who has shown greater versatility (can play Tackle or Guard) for 2.55 M more per.

The consensus seems to be Carpenter sucks at run blocking and is "better than that" at pass protection.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/01/17/tampa-bay-buccaneers-look-orlando-franklin/

That’s not something to take lightly, as it means that Franklin was part of the cream of the crop at the position, since he did a solid job of paving the way for the various Broncos running backs that took the field in 2014. He’s been a consistently above-average run blocker in this league, as it was his calling card as a rookie when he, like most rookie tackles, struggled in pass pro with seven sacks and 14 QB hits allowed, per PFF.

Franklin hasn’t struggled in pass pro for quite some time (since 2011, in fact), and there aren’t many players who can say that they have blocked at a high level at both guard and tackle. Last season, Franklin had PFF’s second-best Pass Blocking Efficiency rating among all guards, and he was first in that statistic at the tackle position back in 2013. Those are back-to-back levels of clean pass protection at two very different positions on two different sides of the formation, so it’s rare to find that kind of year-to-year brilliance, consistency, and versatility.

2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to tell you I told you so :rolleyes:

Enjoy the "victory" signing boys

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post. I totally agree. By the way< Wesley Walker is one of my favorite Jets ever. Cheers!

4. NCJetsfan

What a great fan. You would rather he fail so that you can be right than see him succeed for the team"s sake. Go root for another team loser.

5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

You honestly think we didn't try to bring Franklin to NY?

6. NCJetsfan

Really? Come on you"re smarter than this. It is quite obvious that neither Franklin nor Iupati wanted to play here. What was Mac supposed to do? I would be quite happy with Boling but there may be a good reason why Mac isn"t pursuing him.

7. NYJets17

I don't need him to fail to know I'm right. But if that's what it takes for you to stop sipping the fucking kool-aid then so be it. If we're satisfied eith James fucking Carpenter then fine, glad to know we're not trying to improve anything. Offensive line is only going to allow our QB to be so good and putting mediocre at best talent on it is a laughable move. Nice try though

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Again, it's people like you that give Jets fans a bad reputation. Get over yourself.

9. NYJets17

Funny because i dont see any Seattle fans devastated they lost their starting Guard. Must be happy for him

10. NYJets17

I guess this was missed.

Anyway it's really a useless argument, he's a Jet. I'll let him show me what he can do.

11. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

All I am saying is I would have been happier with Franklin since he is a much better player and SD is getting much better value. And that I'm not thrilled with Carpenter.

It is frustrating to see the team lose out on good players, whether it is Macc's fault or not. My goal isn't to bash Macc. I care about winning.

I don't think these ideas are unreasonable.

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Got a guy who is 26, former first round pick and started in two Super Bowls. He's not as good as Franklin or Iupati, but he'll be a good fit between Ferguson & Mangold.

legler82, JETFIGHTERS and Axel3419 like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

curious to see what Boling gets

14. NCJetsfan

Well it seemed to me that you were bashing Mac. Listen I am just as disappointed as you that we didn"t get Franklin or Jackson. There are a lot of factors working against us and a lot of things out of Mac"s control. I don"t know whether he thought the contract Franklin signed was ridiculous and that signing him to a bigger contract would destroy the team"s salary structure or if Franklin"s agent told Mac that Franklin was only going to sign with SD or what. I agree that it is frustrating but we are just going to have to be patient. Mac is having to pay for the mistakes of Tannenbaum< Idzik< Woody< and Rex. We don"t have a quality QB. What we do have is a rookie GM< a rookie HC< and a team in transition. IMO greatly overpaying a few players would be a mistake. It might make the team better in the short run but could wind up causing us to lose Mo or Richardson and hurt us more in the long run.

TonyMaC likes this.
  15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm glad we got an experienced player for the OL. I'm only concerned that SEA just got rid of someone they recently drafted in the 1st round w/o hesitation.

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Seattle is about to dish out a ton of money to Wilson. Not to mention all the money they need to invest in that defense. Its not too surprising to me.

Guard is a good position to skimp on for them.

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he's got upside and brings competition to Guard rather than being the cure all that the other two are touted to be. being between to pro bowl vets could be the boost he needs to live up to his potential.

seems like his issues are with weight and penalties, these are coachable traits to fix. need to watch some film on him, see what he's really like for myself.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't know about Franklin too much but Manning gets the ball out quickly, most often in the shotgun and in a faster pace offense so a guy like him might be a little overrated in pass protection. I don't watch guards from other teams very closely at all but I'm not sure that Franklin @ 2.5 million more per year is that much of a better deal than a cheaper Carpenter.

Even if Carpenter plays average here, you have an average guard making average guard money. I'm fine with that, especially since he will be locked down and you can spend your money elsewhere.

19. NCJetsfan

That's a legitimate concern imo, but I think we should wait and see how he performs in TC. Maybe the Seahawks blocking scheme didn't work for him that well. Maybe it was a personality conflict between the OL coach and Carpenter. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good...or not. I'm thankful that we didn't get Iupati who would have been a liability in the passing game and we would have paid a premium for tha liability. At any rate, he's better than Winters and probably better than Aboushi or Dozier.

20. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Part of it is injury and conditioning concerns. Hopefully he stays healthy (and in good shape) as a Jet.