Tweaking Jets Final Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

With NFL Network debuting on the Cablevision, we get to see more games & action around the league. With that being said, Jets have about 5-6 new F.A. players to add after last cuts. These are the areas I see Jets need to improve in to have a winning successful season. Not necessarily in this order, but in all these areas....For sure...:beer:

1-New Punter.....maybe Marquette King.....Raiders. Jets need a upgrade in Punter position. Raiders also have an extra Kicker.....Carmona, he has a strong leg.

2-Back-up QB & maybe future QB.....Ryan Lindley.....This guy can play.This guy is better than anybody QB on Jets roster, except for Sanchez, but Lindley will be better than Sanchez down the road. Jets should trade for him before Cardinals realize what they have.

3-LB's....Jets need 2 speedier more impactful LB's to add to roster. I haven't noticed anybody yet around league, but Jets need another pass-rusher. Mauga & Bellore, & #50 Garrett McIntyre ...??? Jets need to upgrade talent there. Maybe the Eagles are deep at LB ? Will see them in last pre-season game. Maybe the Ravens are about to try to sneak one of there young extra LB's onto practice squad ??? I belive thats how Jets got Austin Howard ???

4-RT/OL....We all know they need better depth, but I do like what I see from Austin Howard. He will only get better as season goes along.

5-DL...another NT would be nice, Giants have an interesting DL that might get cut....#71 Ojomo, Adewale....this guy can rush the passer & set the edge. Would be a nice addition to Jets stable on DL. Better potential than Jay Richardson. Can secure last DL spot. Jets will probally carry 8 DL.

6-TE...Jets need a blocking/pass catching TE. Cumberland....he's ok as the 3rd TE, but not as the 2nd TE or blocking TE. Jets miss Ben Harstock & haven't replaced him yet. Harstock wasn't much of a pass catcher, but held his own as a blocker.

Pats beat Jets & alot of other teams to that RB...Demps. He a real speedster. Jets need a real feature RB. Will probally have to wait til next year. Jets need a homerun threat in the back-field, that would give Jest a eal upgrade to the Offense. Shaun Greene is great for a power back, but Jets need a real RB { like aka....Curtis Martin, Adrien Peterson, Jamal Charles type}. Maybe Jets can secure one after late cuts.
    8/25/2012.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I agree about the Punter and RT position. The rest isn't really a big deal. We aren't messing with Qb, RB or LB at this point. Our defense is going to be rugged as is. We have 2 NTs right now, one vet in his prime and one young guy emerging. We're good. Perhaps find a cheap blocking TE, but the only thing that matters is the oline. The rest of the pieces should be good enough.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Jets never had a booming punter or kicker for quite a while. Westhoff gets a lot of credit for return games but I have to think there is something amiss. Weatherford obviously didn't like Westy's style either.

2. Backup QB is on board. Say hi to Greg.

3. Jets LB squad... is in general slow and old. They are good at stopping the run, but they are as a whole a big liability in pass coverage. Jets should stop trading 3rd ~ 6th round picks and start replenishing LB corp depth.

4. RT/OL: 'Nuff said. There has to be at least 1 high pick in OL area this year and the next, and then the depth should be addressed with mid/low round picks.

5. Another NT... is not a bad idea actually. Pouha is getting up there in ages, and he will retire in the next few years - and Jets only have Ellis for NT. Better grab one when there is a chance.

6. TE: Needs serious upgrade here.

7. RBs: that's what the low round picks are for. No more trading up. (This is how Terrell Davis was found too by the way; but it all works when you have a functional OL.)

4. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

To understand "deficiencies" with the Jets you have to understand the overall team philosophy. The philosophy is as follows:

1) Offensively, burn as much clock as possible before scoring. Burning clock means less possessions for the opposing offense. Time of possession before scoring is key. This means a big ground game and an efficient short passing game.

2) Defensively, don't give up the deep ball. This is key, because by not giving up the deep ball you force the offense to work for it's scores, and by working for their scores they are BURNING CLOCK. So yes you will be able hit the short stuff over the middle with the Jets, but the Jets will give you that to keep the clock running. With Revis and Cromartie out there you're not generally gonna hit a homerun ball off the New York Jets, so you have to take what they give you, except what they give you TAKES TIME... and that's exactly what they want you to do, take a lot of TIME.

So the first and foremost thing in the mind of the New York Jets is THE CLOCK... They are all about the THE CLOCK. Taking their time on offense and making YOU take your time on offense. Forcing Tom Brady to WAIT on the sideline. Forcing Tom Brady to take the short stuff and move the chains, which takes TIME. Forcing Tom Brady to make the most of each series he gets because he's not going to get that many.

The Jets are going to drag you down, slow you down, force your highpowered fireworks passing game to dink n' dunk it's way down the field, spilling off all that energy in your hometown crowd, slowing the game down, making you earn all your yards...

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Will we get a new punter? I hope so.

RT, draft one next year 1st rd.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree with the general gist of this however the problem is that what playing the clock does to a team is put it at the mercy of it's own mistakes. A sequence offense breaks down under any series of errors and the Jets are an error-prone team at this point. It breaks down when the opponent has a couple of good plays in a row.

What playing the clock does to a team is give the other team all the mojo when the other team successfully goes into a hurry-up/no-huddle offense.

The reason that quick-striking teams tend to win more often these days is that the fewer plays in your scoring sequence the less likely you are to make a mistake and the fewer opportunities you give the opponent to shut you down.

A 5 play scoring drive vs a 15 play scoring drive. The latter eats the clock but creates many more opportunities for failure.

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Good post...I'd also like to add that when you have a "grind it out" offense you also are less likely to be able to turn that switch and become quick strike when needs be.

8. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Speaking of Hartstock..... he is in competition for the backup TE spot in Carolina..... heard on Sirius this past week that the addition of Tolbert there makes it unlikely they will keep 3 TE's. Hartstock could be available.

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Hard to believe I'm saying this, but I'd take Hartsock and cut Cumberland loose. He looks like he will be nothing more than an injury prone TE that can't block. At this point, a decent blocking TE who presents a marginal passing threat but can stay healthy suits their needs better.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What about Baker? I feel like Cumberland has more upside at this point although we could keep 4 TEs on the roster. I think cutting Baker would be more likely if we signed Hartsock back.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Cumberland may not be the best blocker, but he does have potential as a receiving threat. Baker is a FB/TE hybrid, but we have a FB in the terminator and Baker really isn't the greatest blocker as a TE. Hartsock would be a decent pickup.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While most of the pre-season attention has been how our Offense is the ONLY offense to not score a TD, keep in mind our Starting Defense has ALLOWED zero TD's AND our 'slow' line backing core has giving up the fewest yards per carry (2.0) in the entire league.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Both of those guys are nice but the real standout Raider has to be...

[youtube]t3YPdS-jBps[/youtube]

SIGN THIS BEAST

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, most players are fighting to make the Final 53 man roster, Jets players are fighting to make the final 48 as the Jets probably will add 5 cut players from other teams to their 53 man roster. At least.

15. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

TE -- Hartsock is useless. If he isn't even a remote threat in the passing game, might as well just use a real lineman. Cumberland is also the same size as Hartsock - So I would stay with Cumberland and hope he improves his blocking, especially with Keller approaching Free Agency. I like Keller, but I don't know what he is... he is not a TE though. Baker at least is admittedly a hybrid - for some reason there seems to be some doubts about the Terminator with Ganaway and that LBer as well as Baker taking reps at FB - so I'd also like to see Baker stick around. Unless someone decent comes loose from the Giants, New England or Pitts or so (who share an offensive language), I would just regretably stay status quo.

RB -- We may not have the best off them but we have enough of them. I kinda doubt anyone special gets cut loose and provides any value for this year.

LB -- Same as RB. We may not have the best of them but we have enough of them. With Harris, and Davis as the heir inside, with Maybin as the potential heir outside, and with the contracts of Scott and Pace... they really can't do much.

DT -- Not sure why this comes up. Pouha, Ellis and then Devito if both the others go down. Thats depth.

P -- Yeah. Its kinda confusing. I didn't know they were so hard to find. Weatherford sounded like he overvalued himself, and he may have even played up to what the Giants pay him, but really, who knew, who expected that. He is still a bit of an oddball - with the jewelery incident on New Orleans, the heart palpatation issues on the Jets and now the twitter video with the Giants - he has his quirks.

RT -- Obviously. Yeah. Sad.

QB -- MEh, debated enough. No more to add here. Its just wait and see now.